Chicken on the run
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
What I think was a Rhode Island Red just stopped at my bird bath for a drink then sprinted down Lake Street toward Main. This is the problem with back yard chickens. They like to cross the road.

So, if you are missing a chicken, it was heading towards the old bowl behind the high school when last I saw it.
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+281) 9 years ago
This seems like a dangerous situation. A chicken can deliver a nasty peck.
Posted by homesweet (+71) 9 years ago
Oh god, no, not a chicken! Everyone, lock your doors, keep your kids and pets inside!
For some reason people seem to be ok with dog owners, even though people are often injured by dogs (including myself, in my own yard, by a neighbors dog who had gotten loose), but a harmless chicken gets loose and you go on about the problem with chickens.

I hope the chicken is ok and finds her way home. Has anyone else seen it?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
If we knew whether it was a conservative chicken or a liberal chicken we might be able to figure out what or who on Lake Street it was running from. Was it a guy with a bunch of trickle-down economic charts and last years Christmas lights?

Does the chicken realize that if it crosses the road at main street it will end up at the funeral home?
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 9 years ago
One way or another he could/will end up in the funeral home!

This is a funny thread and brought a smile to my face! Thanks, I needed that!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 9 years ago
Then we can serve it the Rib and Chop House and tip accordingly. I think the formula is:

If you are a liberal and the service is good- 20%

If you are a liberal and the service is bad- 12%

If you are a conservative and the service is good- 1000%

If you are a conservative and the service is bad- 8%

If you are Skidoorulz and the service is great*- .50

If you are Skidoorulz and the service is ok- .25

If you are Skidoorulz and the service is bad**- .02

*- Theoretical only. According to reports, skidoorulz servers have not yet provided this level of quality.

**- by definition (Skidoorulz) all*** service is now bad because every server knows what a lousy tipper he/she**** is.

***- exceptions by definition are when a server is new and has not been tipped off as to what a lousy tipper skidoorulz is or is duty bound by a personal moral code to provide quality service even to a cheapskate like skidoorulz.

****- strictly following PC rulz. Confidence is high that skidoorulz is a cheapskate who pees standing up.

FH
supporter
supporter
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
I wasn't afraid of the chicken, although a couple of cats were eying it. I was worried for the chicken. Poor thing was lost. We have a bunch of bird baths in our yard, including a heated one, and we get all sorts of wildlife during the dry times.

I suspect there will be one happy bald eagle this morning. Or a big fat cat.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 9 years ago
Are you sure it was a chicken, and not a grouse?

I was driving on Hauser Boulevard in Helena a couple of months ago, and spied what looked to be a chicken near some bushes on someone's lawn. I slowed down to look....then stopped the truck and stared hard.

It was a blue grouse. In the upper westside neighborhood in Helena.

Weirdest thing I've ever seen. I've never seen a grouse in town. And I know my grouse, having blasted many of them.
supporter
Maybe he was selling Kirby's.... I hear the salesmen are out.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 9 years ago
Helen and Mary, two old maids were sitting on the front porch hoping for a cooling breeze when a rooster chased a hen out on the road. Sadly, the hen was struck by a car and killed. One remarked to the other, "See, she would rather die"!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
Chickens are evil, dangerous animals. As Junie B. Jones says, they can peck your head into a nub!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2042) 9 years ago
I think the main question is "does the chicken need a mattress?"

[This message has been edited by Tom Masa (7/12/2012)]
Posted by neonfreedom (+290) 9 years ago
WOW Tom Masa- jokes are so funny ...WELL I HOPE YOU HAVE A VERY WONDERFUL DAY and stay cool in this hot weather
supporter
You know Frank, Mr. Fretland had to watch his cows from time to time, but I've never heard of "chicken tipping".
Posted by RB (+436) 9 years ago
The thought of a chicken "sprinting"..... I grew up around chickens and still have some, but never in my life can I say I have seen one sprint!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17053) 9 years ago
The last time I saw one sprinting it was minus its head.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17053) 9 years ago
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 9 years ago
Gunnar - I had a couple of Huns(partridge not Germans) at my feeder last winter. I live near McHugh and Roadrunner.
supporter
Well Bob, you must also have wonderful fruit in the summer from all your pear trees.....
Posted by Agnes Price (+59) 9 years ago
My dog just tried to bring it home, Vicinity of South Center and heading toward the golf course. My apologies for the missing feathers as Winston thought it was a toy.
Oh no! Who is missing a chicken!? That poor bird needs to find its home, she is fortunate to still be alive! If someone captures her I would love to give her a home, or temporary home until her owner contacts me. I have chickens, she'd fit right in Please email me if you capture her!
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+281) 9 years ago
I'd like to give it a batter-dipped, deep-fried home.

[This message has been edited by poisonspaghetti (7/14/2012)]
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 9 years ago
I have chickens so she'd fit right in....
Q: Why did the frog cross the road?

Because he was strapped to a chicken.
Yes she'd fit right in. I've introduced new chickens to my flock in the past, they chase the new one around a little bit for the first day, then they forget that its new I guess and leave it alone