Pine Hills School for boys
Posted by teeny wells (+37) 16 years ago
I hear stories of the school from Mike Mohler whos family worked and lived there. it seems it was quite the operation that most of us who lived in town wasn't really aware of. There was several families who lived on the grounds. I wonder if they are still around and would like to share stories of either growing up there or stories in general
Posted by Bob Zadow (+76) 16 years ago
Mel Mohler's family lived and worked there. In the years from 1970 to 1976 while I worked there, the families that I knew who lived there were: Don Holliday, Supt and his family. Lou Hutton and family, Gordon Jackson and family, Ken Vinge and family. Lodge parents who lived there were Harry and Mary Stuit, Harley and Lydia Boese, and Emmanuel and Cookie Meidinger. The prevailing thinking at the time was that the kids benefited from a type of structure that was parental rather than penal. While we had a clinical staff some of the best counseling came from the lodge parents and the maintenance staff who supervised the kids on work details, among them, Boyce Assay, Will Wilson, Jimmy Moore, Clarence Compton, Val Jaeger, Clarence Irion, Keith Holmlund, and others. They provided role models that these kids had never had. Right now there is a completely different structure which I guess is a sign of the times and the needs. We also spent a lot of our time chasing kids when the population there was close to 200. Probably the best surviving historians of the persons who lived and worked there are Gordon Jackson, currently clinical director of the mental health center and
Larry Williams.

[This message has been edited by Bob Zadow (edited 12/31/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Van (+559) 16 years ago
Who was the old Superintendent who stole the place blind about 20 or 30 years ago??
Posted by teeny wells (+37) 16 years ago
Bob,
were you a lodge parent?
Posted by Bob Zadow (+76) 16 years ago
No. I was Social Services Supervisor. Each resident had a counselor assigned. There were about 8-10 of us with each lodge assigned a counselor.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 16 years ago
My wife and I bought the Superintendents house by sealed bid through a State auction. We moved the house toward Kinsey, all 90 tons and 2600 square feet of it. We also moved the three car garage. Some of the families that lived in it have sent us stories and pictures of how it once looked.

It has been too many years since the move (1995) and the renovation is still not done- I have too many projects and interests, and I'd rather spend time with my family than work on the house.

It was the last house to be moved out. Many others are already scattered around town as well. More buildings on the campus should have been saved or restored- some really cool historic buildings met the wrecking ball. A few more should be kept from the same fate.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 16 years ago
I did my college internship at the school in 1993. It was right before all the buildings were torn down. My final paper included much history of the school, and many many pictures. I have pictures of the interior of all of those buildings. Now I'm really glad that I took them! It was always great to work with some of those people who were working there for a long time. They always had great stories to tell.

When the school was first built, it was quite a big thing state wide. The school was the first state building built in the eastern part of the state, and was a grand facility. They had a huge party all night long with a dance and food that went on until sun up.

There's a ton of history on the school in the public library. If anyone is interested, I can post some other items I dug up.
supporter
Posted by Van (+559) 16 years ago
Give us the dirt Cory.
Posted by Ed Moreno (+4) 16 years ago
Yeah great place with all kinds of fond memories
Posted by Jenny King (+9) 15 years ago
I would like to know if anyone out there knew or heard of my greatuncle Otto King! He worked there and retired in 1966.
Posted by charles skroch (+14) 8 years ago
Cory,
I was there from about 5/1950 to maybe 5/1951. I don,t recall
a lot about the buildings. would it be possible to see your photos?
Thanks much!

[This message has been edited by charles skroch (2/24/2014)]
Posted by Sean McLain (+14) 8 years ago
The Meidingers were my grandparents. We world come to MC every summer for a few weeks and stay with them at their place on on the school grounds. We had access to the music room, the cafeteria, the farm, the gym. It was awesome. Enjoyed my yearly incarceration.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 8 years ago
It's been 21 years since I worked there... (that's so crazy to say!) I'll have to dig them up and scan them. I have some great pics.
Posted by charles skroch (+14) 8 years ago
I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE ABLE TO FIND THE PHOTO OF THE SCHOOL BUILDING YOU SPOKE OF? THANKS!