Nun-run Orphanages
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2804) 10 years ago
I have a question, that some may think is dumb, but I'd appreciate some input. The Religious Right claim that two women (lesbians) are not fit to raise children. They cite the "traditional" definition of marriage and family. Why then do they support orphanages that are staffed only by women?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12288) 10 years ago
The old religious right hated the Roman Catholic Church. Some of them, like Sarah Palin, still do. It must have been hard for the Old Guard Southern Evangelicals to have to support Rick Santorum.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 10 years ago
I don't think that anyone is claiming that an orphanage is an ideal situation for children to grow up in. They are actively trying to get them out of there as quickly as possible no?
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2804) 10 years ago
I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole "ideal situation" argument. There are hundreds of thousands of non-ideal situations in our society, but they are actively tolerated, if not encouraged.

Edit: BTW...whose "ideal" are we using?

[This message has been edited by Kelly (5/16/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15311) 10 years ago
Kelly said:
The Religious Right claim that two women (lesbians) are not fit to raise children. They cite the "traditional" definition of marriage and family. Why then do they support orphanages that are staffed only by women?

According to Roman Catholic doctrine the nuns ARE married, albeit in a mystical sense to God, and have taken a vow of chastity.

Somewhere in that process nuns learn to use a ruler on the backs of kids hands. Kids learn very quickly to never argue with a nun with a ruler. It's a beautiful system.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+483) 10 years ago
What century are you from? That kind of practice (a) was also prevalent in the public schools and (b) went out of style about 30 years ago, at least.

As did the jokes about it.
supporter
Forsyth Mike wrote:
What century are you from? That kind of practice (a) was also prevalent in the public schools and (b) went out of style about 30 years ago, at least.

Yup, they quit about 30 years ago.... right after I graduated... about 30 years ago.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 10 years ago
Forsyth Mike..
You obviously weren't at the all 70's reunion a few years back. Shannon Halsey did a great imitation of a Catholic sister teaching school!
supporter
Shannon did an awesome job and absolutely nailed Sr. Virginia.