Wireless ISP..
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 18 years ago
I'm thinking of doing a Wireless ISP here in Miles City. I'm aiming for a radius of 10-15 miles and would provide broadband internet (around 1mbps) for the residents, farmers, and commercial areas.

I want to know if anyone would be interested in this type of service. I would be using the 802.11b wireless standard.

Sincerely,
James Shaw (aka. Simba7)
Pridelands Networks
http://www.pridelands.us

-=> Honorably serving in the U.S. Naval Reserve <=-
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+932) 18 years ago
User cost? Monthly/yearly rate?
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3697) 18 years ago
Could you describe in laymans terms a comparison of speed verses DSL?
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+932) 18 years ago
About the same. With any wireless, location, location, location comes into play. We've been using the same type of wireless at school for about 5 years. The closer you are to the base the better rate of delivery.
Posted by Bill Nicol (+6) 18 years ago
We live east of town there are 4 to 8 homes that we have talked to that would be interested. we would need more info of course. there is no cable or DSL available in the area.
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 18 years ago
That's what I'm aiming for.

I've been talking to Bresnan Communications about a business connection and they seem interested on doing it. Hopefully soon, I can do this.

I'm wanting to do just a wireless card, but I don't think a PCI, PCMCIA, or a plain access point will do (need more power). There might be a small antenna that would have to point to the water tower (what I'm aiming for). With the antenna, I can definitely do up to 15 miles (or more). I'm looking into equipment at this time.
Posted by Rick & Jen Philip (+2) 18 years ago
Are you Jimmy Shaw? The Jimmy that graduated from Powder River High?
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 17 years ago
Yep. I am him.. Sorry it took me soo darn long to reply.. I haven't been on this site in awhile.

I'm still looking into building this Wireless Service. There's been some advances in Wireless technology which allows me to possibly cover up to a 20mi radius. Also, increases in speed would possibly allow other services to be available.

I'm currently talking with Mid-Rivers and Bresnan on a decent Internet Backbone and possibly partial digital cable capabilities. Ya never know, but the possibilities are endless (Digital Phone, TV, and High Speed Internet though secure 11g or 11i Wireless).

I'd like a few people to vote on that they'd want, and if they think it's a good idea. I'd like as many people to reply to this as possible. I'd like for us to leap ahead in technology instead of lagging behind.

I did notice about speed.. The speed I would like is 1.5mbps Up and Down. Basically, you can send stuff as fast as you receive it. It'll be as fast as DSL or Cable.

Another thing is cost. I'm not in it to severely rip people off. If I can get my backbone at a low cost (I'm not going with a T1, that'll cost me around $1500/mo), I'll pass the savings to the people.

Example. If I can get (4) 1.5mbps SDSL lines at $70/line ($280/mo), that'll quadruple my speed, and also be cheaper to run (saving $1220/mo). I can then pass the savings to you (like maybe around $29/mo). I'd like to also employ a few people to handle antenna installation and equipment maintenance.

[This message has been edited by James Shaw (edited 7/13/2004).]
Posted by James Shaw (+37) 14 years ago
Man, how time flies..

I'm still wondering if anyone's interested in this plan, or if someone has already done it.