Posted by Confluence (+189) 7 years ago
Yesterday, we lost one of the greats.

supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 7 years ago
So, who was he?
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3105) 7 years ago
Vocals and musician for "The Band". He has been ill for some time. Sad loss of a great guy. Think, "Take a Load Off Fanny."

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (4/20/2012)]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14442) 7 years ago
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4452) 7 years ago
You finally found Bridgier's trivia kryptonite.
Posted by Dillpickle (+38) 7 years ago
One of Arkansas' finest musicians for sure.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+755) 7 years ago
The Band. One of my favorites. Levon's vocals were a big part of what made them unique.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+253) 7 years ago
I agree...one of the best...The Band was awesome.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+1833) 7 years ago
Also mine.
Great recordings with The Band and on his own.
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
The Weight
Opheila
Up On Cripple Creek
Tenessee Jed
Deep Elam Blues

RIP
supporter
What band?
supporter
If you haven't seen their movie, "The Last Waltz", you must. It has many of the best folk rockers ever as special guests performing at their last show. A lot of it is on YouTube. I think their biggest part in music history was their work with Bob Dylan, in that time when he was crossing lines from folk into rock and country all at once.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+600) 7 years ago
What band?

Quit it Bridgier
Posted by mule train (+1047) 7 years ago
Levon was an Arkansasan playing with a bunch of Canadians. Good fit. He will be missed.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13757) 7 years ago
KGLT played a boatload of old Band/Levon Helm stuff this weekend, including a lot of cuts from The Last Waltz which, truth be told, I probably haven't listened to in 25 years.

Please forgive Bridgier. He is young, and thus grew up listening to Eurofag industrial technopop droning noise, instead of popular music.
supporter
Oh but Gunnar, The Band hardly played popular music. They were something else.
They were only appreciated by those who were INTO what was being said, what the story was, why they were telling it. That's folk music. Or not, one of their best known songs was a fascinating story about absolutely nothing but whimsical hypothesis of exaggerated characters of TV and their own real lives.
Their style was unique, it's what made me want to hear the song louder and without anyone talking over it. Like trying to figure out a Dylan song, God help you, have fun trying and enjoy whatever you come up with. In that, they discreetly accomplished what Frank Zappa was always trying to do.
supporter
I will never forget the first time I played RATM for mule train, and he asked me what this crap was.

And I will admit that I knew who Levon Helm was, but only because I'd read this a day or two before this thread started: http://www.esquire.com/bl...ca-8173059
Posted by mule train (+1047) 7 years ago
RATM...were the least of the bizarre punk/metal/hardcore/industrial/whatevertheprocreateyoucallit music that you used to listen to Bridger. The funny thing is my wife listen(s)(ed) to all that same type of stuff although she is more into traditional punk (to coin a phrase) and ska. As she calls it "oi" music.

Me...I like the Stones, country music, folk, the Dead, the Band. Levon Helm was so good. He had so much soul. When he sang "The Night the Drove Old Dixie Down" I felt like a Southern sympathizer for the first time in my life. There are not a lot of guys out there in the world that can sing you a song and have you relate to 150 year old war. Maybe Johnny Horton.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1588) 7 years ago
Mule, it took me a long time to even reply to this thread. Levon was my favorite singer/song writer on my favorite band- "The Band". There body of work is remarkable. It is honest, soulful American music the transcends time and place.Levon's songs are my favorite-"The Night the Drove Old Dixie Down"- "The Weight", "Up On Cripple Creek". All good stuff but I like the songs were two or three of the members take turns at lead vocals. They were all talented musicians and song writers.

I like "Rag Mama Rag", "King Harvest" and "Daniel and the Sacred Harp". I'm pretty sure that there music will be played at my funeral.