home brew
Posted by matt oyen (+482) 9 years ago
Just wondering if anyone in miles city home brews beer as a hobby. I have done 2 batches and enjoy it alot. might be fun to get together and share knowledege over a few home brews.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1595) 9 years ago
I understand that Matt Schmitz has now started selling his brand new wine Castillo de Bozos in Miles City!

Not the same as home brewed beer, but surely an exciting opportunity for the Schmitz crew! Ask for it at Miles City Liquor and Fine Wines and at the Short Stop!

Way to go!

FH
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+282) 9 years ago
Thank you Frank. Not just me involved in this adventure. Jim Walker, another Miles City guy, is my business partner. We are having a great time making wine. We buy grapes in California every fall, haul em back to Bozeman, and turn em into wine. All the fermentation, crushing, aging and bottling processes are done in Montana. 100% Red Zinfandel. Our wine spends approximately 16 months aging in american oak barrels. In fact, we are bottling the 2010 vintage this coming weekend, and our frequent barrel tastings tell us it gonna drink very well.
The 09 vintage is available in Miles City at both the Short Stop, and at Miles City Liquors and Fine Wines. We have wine for sale at City Vineyard in Billings, and several outlets in Bozeman.
Pull a Cork! Fall in Love! Buy More!
Posted by Marty Scheid (+234) 9 years ago
I have been Home Brewing for over twenty years. I just kegged a batch of my version of Newcastle Brown Ale on Easter Sunday. I would love to get together and sample some of your Home Brew!

Marty

"Relax don't worry, have a Home Brew."
Charlie Papazian
Posted by matt oyen (+482) 9 years ago
Great! sounds like i could learn a lot from you. I just bottled an ipa. i am intersted in kegging though. This weekend is pretty busy for me but maby some time the following weekend would work. are there any other home brewers in town that you know of
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17230) 9 years ago
Good to see there is some brewing activity left in Miles City. Once upon a time, Miles City even had a homebrewers club, but that was back in the mid 1990s.

Ahh, the 1990s. I still have all my ribbons for homebrew I entered in the Eastern Montana fair. Around 1994 or so, when I swept first place in all five categories and of course took Best of Show, that's when I quit entering.
Posted by Marty Scheid (+234) 9 years ago
Great Job Gunnar!

The only Homebrew competition I ever entered was in Massachusetts
I entered my Marty Turbo Stout and out of 250 stout entries I won Second place and was awarded $450.00 in credit at the local home brew store. That is when I started kegging this was in 1995.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+391) 9 years ago
Buzz Martin, known as the singing logger, wrote and sang a great song about home brew, in the 1960s, I believe. To top it off, the name of his recording company was "Ripcord Records." Those that have ever struggled to start a recalcitrant chain-saw will get that meaning.

for some reason, the song plays twice on this youtube version - its really just about a two minute ditty, and will make you chuckle.