founder
Posted by David Schott (+16505) 9 years ago
Did the downtown post office reopen this week as planned?
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+192) 9 years ago
Yes, it was open Monday morning as planned.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16505) 9 years ago
Glad to hear it.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 9 years ago
They are having a few glitches--the lights in the lobby won't turn on and no one can figure out why--but they are happy to be home. A building designed to be a post office works a whole lot better than an abandoned grocery store with plywood counters and a leaky roof.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 9 years ago
Amorette: I read your excellent article about the post office in the paper the other day. Wasn't the post office in the building across the street from the Love Motor building for about a year in the mid 70's?
Posted by JMD (+290) 9 years ago
You do have to admit, however, that the parking and access were much better at the abandoned grocery store.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2618) 9 years ago
No you don't. If you factor in that you had to walk across two driving lanes at the old grocery store, the old post office has just of good of parking. People are just too lazy to walk their fat asses across 7th street.
Handicap access is just about nonexistent and what little access there is, people who don't have handicap signs/plates do park in those spaces. And FYI, not everyone is lazy or has a fat behind.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2618) 9 years ago
people who don't have handicap signs/plates do park in those spaces.

Exactly, they are too lazy to walk their fat asses across 7th street. If you see someone parked in the handicap spaces, and they don't have the proper placard, call the police. One ticket and they won't be parking there again.

For the record, my health has warranted a placard in the past. Calling the police does help.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (3/14/2012)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 9 years ago
It is very hard to have to go without a handicapped space when they are all full and some without the proper placard...I have O2 as well as a scooter to help me breath and walk and so many people just don't care and push in front of you...at least that's my two cents worth...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
I am a walking type of person so am happy that it is again located both conveniently and where I am less likely to be run over by someone heading to Ace or Mexico Lindo. It is sad that there is no perfect for location but for the actual function of a post office, the old location is MUCH better.
Located conveniently for who? You? But not everyone! And as for less likely to get run over, if you gotta cross 7th Street, you still take your life in your hands. I've watched people go right through the stop lite there. I agree that there is no perfect location, but they could at least have left a drop box on the East end of town that was picked up after 5pm.
supporter
Perhaps you all should look at this from the perspective of the fine folks in Volborg... be thankful that at least you will still HAVE a post office.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+788) 9 years ago
IMO...

The ideal location for the Post Office would be where the Armory is located.
supporter
did they close the Volborg PO?? I knew they had it on the "target list" for perhaps closing it but didn't know if they had announced which ones yet...They are such nice folks there, it would be a shame...
supporter
It is still open but I believe that it is still on the list for closure.

~~~~
The location of the post office is kind of a hard call. The 7th street location draws traffic downtown which is a good thing. Parking was certainly more convenient out at the old IGA building. The handicap access at the 7th location is dangerous and is going to get worse with truck traffic going north.

One solution might be for the post office to buy and scrape the old Doyle plumbing building and create off-street handicap parking. At least a person could unload their power-chair without getting run over by a Peterbilt. And frankly, I think the screwed up the entrance when they added the big brick flower planter in front of the doors. The entrance needs to be redesigned.
supporter
It is amazing to me how many handicapped spaces don't allow for offloading of my scooter...without help, it is almost impossible for me to do it...I have a little crane that lifts it but I cannot seem to stand long enough to use it LOL...I guess I should buy one of those ramps that hook on outside the car....but I think they are fairly expensive...
Just wondering what and where is the old Doyle Plumbing building? As you can see I haven't been in Miles City as long as some have. Thanks for clarifying for me.
supporter
The building across the alley to the north of the post office.
Posted by mckee (+383) 9 years ago
people keep saying there's no drop box now. There is one in front of Albertsons and one in front of Walmart.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1480) 9 years ago
people keep saying there's no drop box now. There is one in front of Albertsons and one in front of Walmart.

Yes, but the pickup at these boxes was mid-afternoon. I think the folks wanted later pickup on that side of town.
Yes, but the pickup at these boxes was mid-afternoon. I think the folks wanted later pickup on that side of town.

That's exactly what is needed on the East side of town. Thanks MRH for understanding.