Before you post
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1906) 9 years ago
Before posting a piece of breaking news that may have disturbing content, stop and think carefully. To begin with, use a spell check. "Tradgedy" is not a word.

Is the information correct? I can't tell you the number of of juicy rumors I have heard that turn out to be either a complete fabrication or a considerable exaggeration.

Ask yourself, why am I posting this? Am I trying to make myself feel important? Am I hoping everyone asks me the gruesome details so I can quietly go "Ha, ha. I know something you don't know" in the singsong teasing voice of a six-year-old.

Will posting a vague summation of something sad and/or ghastly help anyone? No one can offer comfort if the details are unknown but it is hardly up to a gossipy forum to inform people about a tragedy.

In summation: Is it true? Are you hoping for attention? Will the post aid anyone?

If not, why not just wait until official sources can provide the information in an accurate and legal way. Waiting a few hours so that the people actually involved can deal with the tragedy is more important than being first with a bit of rumor on-line.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 9 years ago
+10 Amorette!!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 9 years ago
There was a brief moment in time when AD's account was gagged. I fear that I might be responsible for talking Larry out of that. If so, I apologize.
Posted by Vicky Strom (+126) 9 years ago
My thoughts exactly, Amorette! Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 9 years ago
Agreed.
Posted by AshleyDawn (+348) 9 years ago
Amorette, your assumptions about the intent of my original post are incorrect. I wasn't trying to get attention. I was trying to bring attention to a very sad an immediate occurance in our community.

I know I spelled tragedy wrong. I cringed when I noticed that. Im sorry it was so offensive to you that I did. I am human.

I know I started disputing with others about their response, and I really shouldn't have done that. I got distracted by the offensive nature of some responses, and that severely took away from my original intentions.

As far as me wanting to dangle the info in front of others and throw it in people's faces that I knew about it pretty early, im extremely offended about that accusation. There's a lot of other thing I could post about if that's what I wanted to accomplish, but this? That would be heinous. Just because that's something you, I, and many others on mc.com enjoy doing from time to time, doesn't mean at all that it applies to this situation.

Please accept this response for what it is, true, and cease in your efforts at trying to make me look like a monster. It actually is really hurtful.

[This message has been edited by AshleyDawn (3/14/2012)]
Im so sorry if it came off crude to others, I will take your advice and use more discretion in the future.

In my defense, there was no way I could have known how the post
would be received.

I take back what I said earlier, and knowing what I know now, I wish I wouldn't have written that post this morning.

My thoughts are with this family.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14970) 9 years ago
Putting toothpaste back in the tube is hard.
Posted by Mufasa (+82) 9 years ago
I love this site! In one thread, people trash Ashley Dawn for saying too much. Now she gets trashed for saying too little. Make up your f'cn minds.
supporter
Yep, Richard, sorta like ruling that evidence is inadmissable, in front of a jury...You cannot unring a bell, so to speak...
Not really, Howdy.
Although you said, 'so to speak', it really isn't a correct interpretation.

I didn't say anything that wasn't true. I shouldn't have said it, not because it wasn't true but because I inevitably failed to convey what I wanted to, and my intent was majorly confused.

That is partially my fault. I should have known better.

But it wasn't a rumor, it was true. What I said wasn't harmful, but obviously where and when I said it was. Maybe the other participants involved in the discussion are partially to blame, also, for their poor reading comprehension, and for what I see to be a low level of moral standards and tact. Why should I be blamed for people asking ME questions that I didn't feel were appropriate for ME to answer? I didn't claim to know it all, and knew I didn't. That's exactly why I didn't want to say 'too much'. I inadvertently started exactly what I wanted to avoid in the first place, a bunch of b.s.

There is such confusing standards on here. Don't say too much, don't say too little. Don't misspell (don't you dare do that), or post information that isn't already released by a more reputable source (regardless of whether or not it is actually true), if you do say something already contained in the paper or something, prepare to get scoffed at for wasting everyone's time telling them stuff they already knew...also don't flatter yourself into thinking anything said has any real significance in the community, the list goes on.... The double standard seems apparent to me. Can't win for losin I guess.

Specific to you on this matter, Howdy, if you were so offended by my post why did you involve yourself in the thread in the first place, asking questions yourself? I see value in Amorette's post, and I trust her intentions to be exactly as she portrays. You, Howdy, I don't trust. I think that regardless of what Amorette was criticizing me about, you would agree with her, because she's Amorette and I'm Ashley Dawn. Don't feel attacked, you are certainly not the only one that does this, and not to just me, either.

Mufasa, I guess I see where you're coming from, too.

I have concluded that WHO says something on mc.com has become more important that WHAT is actually said. I think that really sucks. It's no wonder every thread gets wildly off topic, almost every single time one is started.

supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 9 years ago
I like AshleyDawn. I think she adds to the site and if you gag her, gag me.

FH
I'm feeling really emotional about this.
I watched the entire thing, start to finish. I was so sick over it, I felt I had to say something...dumb to say it on here. I wish it wasn't that way.

Like I said, when something like this happens, community counts. :/

MC.COM gets a big 'F'.
The firefighters, city employees on the scene (including my husband), and the Red Cross volunteers are amazing. Thanks to all of them!

I hope mc.com starts showing more potential for becoming a place that people want to go to learn about our community, our community events, efforts, businesses, and people. Right now I'm kinda pissed at mc.com, though. I imagine lots of people are, and probably for many other reasons and relative posts than the one I initially made this am.

I would be brokenhearted if just I were the reason MC.COM is the way it is, thankfully I know I'm not.
I'm new, remember?
supporter
In my 67 years on earth, I have never been able to stand people that thrive on Drama...and with that in mind, this sign was appropriate for me today...and if anyone here thinks this is directed toward them, I assure you it is their own ego supposing it, not I....
supporter
Posted by TamiLY (+235) 9 years ago
Amorette, thank you for your post-at least some of you get it, and I thank you for standing up for the Donnelly's and other families whose tragedies have been plastered on mc.com just to satisfy the curiosity of others.

Ashley Dawn-while there is nothing outwardly wrong or immoral in your wanting to be the first to spread the news of the horrible misfortune of the Donnelly family, should you be reminded that you are not Paul Revere and you really do not have to feel responsible to spread the news to all on mc.com? How do you suppose this family feels as they read about their tragedy as the latest juicy gossip online? Not that its any comfort to see the story has been covered on TV, newspapers, radio, and the internet, but to read it on here, followed by the petty bickering, almost seems to trivialize this family's great loss. Two people died-they had a mother, a wife, brothers, in-laws, nephews, nieces, cousins, aunts, uncles--Brian and Diane were loved greatly and they mattered to many people. Don't cheapen this loss because of your need to be the first to tell the story or by further defending your right to tell it.

And Kelly, nice touch in posting your photos. Oh, I know, you didn't do anything that the newspapers didn't do, but ask yourself this: How would you feel if you just lost your spouse and sister-in-law to a fire (or any other disaster), some of your pets are still unaccounted for, you have lost EVERYTHING you own, and then everywhere you turn there are pictures of what's left of your charred home--the very spot where your family members perished--to keep reminding you of this horrible nightmare?

And you, Sydnee-"I work at the hospital I knew all about it almost as soon as it happened and I also felt that it was not my place to go into detail. " Maybe you should no longer work at the hospital if you only "feel" you shouldn't go into detail, and don't remember the HIPPA agreement you signed upon hire that states you understand your LEGAL OBLIGATION to patient confidentiality. You're damned straight, its not your place.

Miles City is an amazing community, and its members are so lucky to be able to find comfort in the compassion shown to them during times of need. Let the media have the morbid duty of reporting the grisly facts. Friends and neighbors should be supportive when disaster strikes-not treat one another's tragedy as the latest good gossip. As Amorette said, stop and think before you post. Not just with this one incident, but any others that may occur in the future, as well.

I speak for the Donnelly family when I say the love and support shown to them since this morning's fire has been amazing. Thank you to the rescue workers, the hospital staff, and thank you to everyone who has offered their condolences and to help in any way needed. Again, Miles City is an amazing community.

prb-not sure of any accounts set up for the family yet. I do know that Laura and the boys have lost everything and any assistance in finding affordable housing, furniture, house wares, pet food, clothing, etc. would be so very much appreciated right now.
I can't imagine life without drama.
Life is drama.

People that claim to hate drama the most, usually start it first.

In speaking for the Donnelly family, you would think that with all of the time you spent criticizing the 'gossip' on here you hate so much, you could have been able to spend even less reading the information available on the Billings Gazette website about the funding being set up by the people you appreciate so much for helping the family you are representing in your post.

Both the Fire Dept. And the Red Cross are gathering resources to help your family. I for one intend on helping to provide some resources of my own to help.

Again, for the third time- my heart truly goes out to your family.
supporter
AshleyDawn-evidently you are a little slow so I'll explain a bit more concisely: This particular incidence is not merely drama. This is a real-life and a very horrible incident involving real people with real feelings. This is not about you or your ego or your apparent need to feel justified in your insensitive actions here today. Buck up, shut up, and take a little "time out" to think this through and realize what a jerk you've been so you don't mistakenly do this to someone else's family in the future.

[This message has been edited by TamiLY (3/14/2012)]
Tami, my post talking about drama had absolutely NOTHING to do with this horrible incident.
I was not even talking to you or about you when I wrote that.

BACK up, and READ.

Posted by bh (+186) 9 years ago
Just think before you post. If this were your family, how would you want to be treated? A total stranger annoucing all over the place anyting terrible that could happen to my family-WOULD PISS ME OFF GREATLY!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, bh.
Personally what other people were saying or how they were saying it would be the furthest thing from my mind, but that's just me.
It was terrible. I feel terrible it happened.
I can't seem to make that clear to some, so for now im sayin fu** it. Im gonna donate some stuff and sleep just fine.

G'night, mc.com.
Its a love-hate.
Posted by luvlife (+287) 9 years ago
Ashley Dawn-
I, for one....feel you did nothing wrong and would like to say to all of the others that seem to know and run this site....give her a break....most of you have gone on and on and just created more drama then need be. She only expressed concerned about this situation and said nothing wrong. What is with you people who think you are so highly intelligent and just have all the right and wrong rules for this site. Freedom of speech...!
Why not just say....our hearts also go out to this family and leave it at that??? Everyone wants to be so self rightous...my gosh, it is a small community and Ashley Dawn wasn't creating a rumor...just concern. Instead of expressing concern over this...you go on and on over nonsense. Almost everyone expressing concern...Ashley Dawn, Kelly and Sydnee were coming from a caring and compassionate emotion...it was not gossip. People will always be curious and not always out of gossip...out of concern...most people have good hearts. In ending...my deepest sympathy to this family and I, too...like Ashley Dawn will do what I can to help this family.
So sorry Ashley Dawn for the nonsense replies you recieved from all these intelligent people whom know how "exactly" how one should post what is on your mind and heart...glad they have it all figured out...and can help us idiot's.
Pray for this family and forget all the righteous lectures.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 9 years ago
+ a few bazillion, luvlife.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 9 years ago
I haven't been Ashley's biggest fan, but I don't think she did anything wrong here. Thinking back on other tragic occurrences since I started reading this board (the boys that ran off the bridge earlier this year, Catherine Woods' murder, the downtown fire, etc.) they were all discussed here before the full information was known. When my Dad was killed in an accident there was a thread on it here and the family found it much more comforting than offensive. Ashley didn't post any rumors, didn't speculate, and didn't name names. I think that's fair. People are going to be talking regardless, at least on here untrue rumors can be corrected.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 9 years ago
Ditto Levi
Posted by Monica LN (+150) 9 years ago
Just think AshleyDawn, if not you then who? Someone would have had to post something about this and then they would be attacked for starting drama and what not. People love to hate. It gives them purpose
Posted by nativemc (+915) 9 years ago
I am not sure Ashley Dawn did anything wrong here. Some people just like to jump on a person every chance they get. I think maybe it was because the Star again got scooped. All Ashley Dawn did was point out what a tragedy this was. There was nothing about names or families and nothing derogatory.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9224) 9 years ago
I find myself in strange company this morning, but I'm in agreeance(sp?) with Jeff, Levi, et al.

Bad things happen. People want to know. To pretend otherwise is silly, and nothing Ashley said was salacious or inappropriate.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 9 years ago
+1 to Bridgier
supporter
luvlife, thank you for your point of view and for giving me a reality check. I, myself, have pointed out to others in the past that the questions and curiosity is mostly well-meant concern for the victims, though I still feel that posting the news on mc.com is in poor taste.
I find myself guilty of what I'm accusing others of doing by posting my criticisms before I think things through. I owe you an apology, AshleyDawn-I am sorry for attacking you even though you tried to explain your misinterpreted intentions. I hope no one here ever has to understand what it's like to have your family tragedy hung out there by the media-news information or not, it still feels like a violation on some level. Again, I am sorry.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1611) 9 years ago
TamiLY:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q..._and_Hippa

HIPPA?

http://www.answers.com/topic/hippa-2

Ahh, you were talking about decapod crustaceans. I see now. So do you have something against crabby nurses or nurses with crabs?

FH
Posted by Mandi (+353) 9 years ago
Frank you beat me too it! One of my pet peaves, when people call it HIPPA. Especially someone who works in a health care institution. HIPAA stands for "health information portability and accountability act."
Posted by celeste williams (+160) 9 years ago
on the website warriors of mc.com
Posted by hat_3275 (+78) 9 years ago
I wanna know what was wrong with Ashley Dawn's post? I don't see anything wrong with anything she has ever posted. I think the problem with some of you people is that you want everyone to agree with you!!!

[This message has been edited by hat_3275 (3/17/2012)]
Posted by Skidoorulz (+57) 9 years ago
Ashley from what I have seen on MC.com. unless your name is Amorette or Richard or Gunnar or some of the other "elite" upstanding citizens on MC.com (and you know who you are.) You will be ridiculed for spelling, punctuation, grammar, politics or simply saying Hi. Truth is Amorette is probably not happy that you scooped the Star on the story now that she works there. Some of these people mentioned prviously are way to high on themselves.
Posted by Skye (+382) 9 years ago
+ 500 Skidoorulz
Posted by chris a peterson (+38) 9 years ago
Dont take it personally AD. There is nothing wrong with what you did. Just some here have a thing for perfection and loose site of the real meaning of life (what ever that is).

[This message has been edited by chris a peterson (3/19/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 9 years ago
I take deep, personal offense at being called an elite upstanding citizen.

In today's political climate, that is tantamount to being called a socilalist.