Posted by joshmt (+481) 9 years ago

[This message has been edited by joshmt (3/7/2012)]
Posted by Jessica Culver (+77) 9 years ago
Kony is a bad guy, sure. But the Invisible Children organization isn't all it's cracked up to be.

http://facecrooks.com/Int...video.html
Posted by AshleyDawn (+348) 9 years ago
I agree, Jessica.
More research needs to be done on the part of the folks that are quick to hit the 'share' button on fb. :l
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+303) 9 years ago
It appears that their mission is to shed light what is happening in Uganda.

If that is the case, it seems to be working, as I had never heard of Kony before I saw this video clip a few days ago. It has been in the news and on various web sites.

As for sharing, it may put some pressure on the world to do something about this horrifying problem, so I do not see a problem with this.
supporter
Posted by Simon Niece (+303) 9 years ago
^^^
I just think The Invisible Children is a sketchy organization, but I've done quite a bit of research on it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 9 years ago
What research? Reddit doesn't count.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 9 years ago
+1 Dyba
I encourage YOU to research the organization. I don't feel like it's necessary for me to explain myself to you J. Dyba. Sorry, but you're just not that important.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 9 years ago
Dave Schott and Larry Antram, open your dictionaries, go to the letter "S", and look at the 11th and 12th definition down.
You put forward a statement and support that statement with claimed evidence of research, but when asked to share that information you rebuke the request with an insult. I guess I fail to recognize where that was either warranted or deserved.
With all due respect, it wasn't an insult. You didn't ask me respectfully to share my research with you. You asked me to prove that I have researched on the topic and where.

Asking didn't bother me, but what you said after that did. A little too self important for my taste, J Dyba.

If you were that interested in the viral KONY 2012 video that The Invisible Children released, you would look it up yourself and come to your own conclusions about it. Since you're obviously not (or are just lazy), and thought asking someone else was a respectable enough place to gather info (but not Reddit, of course), next time you might want to use a more appropriate way to ask for the info if you sincerely want to know more about it as you claim that you do.

If you think you're important enough to categorize places available to others in THEIR effort to gather information, and think you're important enough to tell ME where I can't get it in order for it to 'count' (to who? Well Mr. Important, of course!), Then Im going to tell YOU that you are, in fact, NOT that important, at least to me, and Im also not going toto waste my time telling you about any of it anyway. Kapeesh?

I get the feeling you had no intention of truly wanting to hear about my opinion when you posted on this thread in the first place. If that's true, it irritates me even more that you did at all.

[This message has been edited by AshleyDawn (3/14/2012)]
Reddit gets lots of money to provide info to others.
I, on the other hand, don't get any. So as flattered as I am that you say you wanted to hear my opinion on the subject, im going to speak honestly and say that Im trying to only go into depth about stuff that I have looked into quite a bit when I feel the info might be appreciated by any involved parties or may develop into a good informational debate.

I need to save my energy for important stuff, I have kids, man. Lots of 'em.

Again, RESPECTFULLY, based on your initial post, it seems clear to me that you are more concerned with me than with 'KONY 2012'...

Larry, check it out. The arguments are getting shorter all the time. Stopping them before they even start, this lady. Who's gonna bake me a cookie?
supporter
That's an awful lot of words to say, "I read it on Facebook."
Buck stick a carrot in your pie hole.
I read a lot on fb, but not about this.
Follow.The.Cash.Flow.
supporter
Pretend.you.knew.who.Kony.was.before.last.Tuesday.
No.I.Didn't.
But.once. I.did.I.read.a.lot.

But I knew of The Invisible Children and their effort. BEFORE.LAST.TUESDAY.
supporter
Then, when you're done congratulating yourself, let me be the second.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (3/14/2012)]
Have I ever posted a reply or comment to you ever prior to this?
I am honestly unaware of what I could possibly have done to receive the response I did.

"What research?" That's a simple request. How you read 3 paragraphs of insults from those two words is beyond me. Allow me to elaborate then. Can you provide links to specific locations where you found information you determined useful in coming to your conclusion.

If you were in a court of law and someone provided evidence against you they gathered from Reddit I have a strong suspicion you would agree with me on Reddit's validity to provide vetted information. It has nothing to do with what I view as acceptable.
What a friggin weirdo....
KONY is terrible, but should someone like this really be in charge of shedding light on this issue to the citizens of this country?

Informing people about this problem is great, but The Invisible Children and their effort is NOT something that will make a measureable amount of progress in solving it.

It's sad that important issues nowadays can so quickly become popular and get boatloads of exposure and attention...then get forgotten about by the majority of the public just as quickly.

The effort to stop this problem was underway long before The Invisible Children, and will be long after, still.

The Invisible Children 'KONY 2012' campaign's greatest accomplishment was made in exercising the power of Social Media in a way that the people that invested in it can tangibly look at, learn from, and use to benefit them, and work in even more ways to influence popular opinion and make politics trendy.

The Invisible Children video strangely reminds me of another one I saw one time....who was the guy that was in it? Oh yeah, Vanilla Ice.

Friggin weirdo.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 9 years ago
Sabatini?
Sabbatarian?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 9 years ago
Terrible thread.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 9 years ago
Sabatini?
Sabbatarian?

Wrong dictionary. The correct answer is, "Snippy little beaver".
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 9 years ago
Further evidence of Miles City's beaver problem.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 9 years ago
I'll need an explanation how such bizarre, animated behavior comes from malnutrition, exhaustion and dehydration. That's a new one on me, I've never heard of that. I'm not buying it at this point.