Have ya Noticed??
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 9 years ago
that lately conservatives aren't too anxious to argue their political beliefs?...Maybe they are ashamed of their current list of candidates...what say you??
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Maybe this is why:

supporter
very good point...
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 9 years ago
We had this thread last week. Nobody posts here about political stuff but the usual 5 people because those people gang up on anyone who does and then spend the rest of the thread congratulating each other. It's not too hard to figure out and I know this thread is really just chest pounding, but for some reason I still feel the need to point this out. If I was a more mature person I would probably stop reading/posting in the political threads as well, but instead I just tell myself I'm going to.
supporter
The republicans had three good candidates; Jon Huntsman, Tim Pawlenty, and Gary Johnson. Unfortunately, none of them could gain enough traction in the media to gain finances to be sustainable.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1916) 9 years ago
None of them were willing to sound crazy enough to get the necessary wingnut vote.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 9 years ago
Nobody posts here about political stuff but the usual 5 people because those people gang up on anyone who does and then spend the rest of the thread congratulating each other

Oh those poor dears. I feel so bad that I might be part of the "Gang Of Five" that's oppressing their right to spew addle-headed bullpoop wherever they see fit.

Maybe they should make better arguments then "OBAMA ARE A SOCOLIST" or "KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY MILITARY PENSION" or "RON PAUL IS THE ONLY TRUE DEMOCRAT IN THIS REPUBLICAN PRIMARY".

All I ask is that people think harder. And use vertical white-space.
supporter
I'm not complaining, just explaining where they went. Enjoy your echo chamber.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 9 years ago
I'm curious as to the Lutheran populations opinion of Mitt. I was raised Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and 'in those days' there were night classes at the church just to educate the parishioners of the evils of the Mormon cult.

I heard an unsubstantiated 'rumor' that there are other candidates the Republicans are keeping under wraps until closer to the election..
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1916) 9 years ago
When Kennedy was elected president, a local (here in MC) Baptist congregation had prayer rallies asking god to kill him in office. We were in Utah at the time and there were Mormons who were happy to hear the Catholic president was murdered.

Religion can do terrible things to people.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17318) 9 years ago
I heard an unsubstantiated 'rumor' that there are other candidates the Republicans are keeping under wraps until closer to the election..

Yee gods, don't tell this to Kacey...

When I read Levi's comments to this and similar threads, I have to agree with him. But, at the same time, I hear in my head the refrain from an Old 97s song, which goes on and on....

Downtown, so weak
Let the idiot speak
Let the idiot speak
Let the idiot speak
Let the idiot speak
Let the idiot speak
Let the idiot speak
supporter
Umm... not to nitpick but aren't all rumors by definition "unsubstantiated"?
Posted by Monica LN (+148) 9 years ago
oh Richard. You know darn well you mean to nitpick.
supporter
Okay, you're right... but you are still my favorite "bell-cow"
supporter
Levi, that never stopped you and others before...you guys were just as insulting as the opposition IMO...you just stopped any kind of argument or debate as I like to call it...I hope I am not insulting but maybe I am...I know a lot of times I have agreed with you Levi...so I don't understand in total what you mean really...
Posted by Monica LN (+148) 9 years ago
Ah! Praise from Richard! Be still my heart bell!
supporter
I don't think I have ever resorted to name calling on this board. There are a number of people here though, that lead off with that when someone posts something that they don't like. Unlike a lot of posters here, I actually live in the MC area and from time to time run into people who only know me from this board. I have been told by numerous people, including some former regular posters here, that they don't participate because of the nasty atmosphere.

I don't claim to be totally innocent either. I was called out via email recently for being sarcastic and rude and they were right and I apologized. I think Bridgier and Gunnar have a point in that some of the recent trolls have not posted much of merit, but I think that's only because more reasonable folks have already been driven away.

It's our board and we can make what we want of it. I have hung out in way worse online places than this and continue to do so, but never where people used their real names and in many cases had so many connections in real life. I feel that this board is very closed-minded now and has become an old boys club where you have to go along to get along or leave, at least in the political discussions.

Finally Howdy, please stop calling me a conservative and referring to my "side". Of all the names I've been called here, that one annoys me the most and makes me think that no one actually reads anything I post here.
Posted by AshleyDawn (+346) 9 years ago
Levi, I agree with pretty much everything your last post stated.
I do name call, I figure if it got 'the other guys' in the mc.com cool-club, why not try it?
Ignorance seems to work wonders here. People love it!
Plus, if it walks, talks and acts stupid, it's probably stupid.
supporter
Levi, I didn't know you were annoyed by the title "conservative" and will try to not call you that any longer...I am sorry if I offended you by stating so...You must consider yourself an independent as do I as both parties have been offensive to us on many issues and we don't any longer give monies to either...the government is a mess in many ways, and as I have stated on more than one occasion, it would be nice to be able to vote for someone rather than against someone else...also Levi, I am sorry in advance for my terrible memory as it keeps getting worse by the day...ageism I guess...
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 9 years ago
For me it just comes down to what I use the site for. I like getting the information from Miles City. Some of the threads have provided great entertainment. I also like to have fun myself.

The political threads are a repetitive rehashing of the same old stuff. I consider myself a conservative but don't apply labels including R, D, or even I. I vote in every election and love the political process and watching election returns. But, the political threads on MC.com long ago lost my attention for several reasons:

-They almost all read the same. Someone comments on the latest political gaffe from a staunch conservative or liberal, usually exhibiting great difficulty in the grammatical process while doing so. Then the same people exclaim over their ignorance and spend some time telling them why they are an idiotic racist pelican beak.

-Then Buck will insert a Buckism, sometimes these are valuable and will get me to check them out, giving some value to the thread.

-Bridgier attacks and enjoys loading his posts with college level vocabulary, again providing occasional interest, but his arguments become, blah, blah, blah...or more appropriately blahbulition, blahtiousness, blahbielligience.

I guess I would put a filter on them if I could which would leave Buck's posts and the latest Bridgier word and blank out the rest.

As Linus Van Pelt so aptly stated, "There are 3 things I have learned to never talk about, religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin".

May the force be with you!

FH
supporter
and with you Frank...Hope you have a great day...
supporter
I think I preferred Frank before he became so loquacious.

And if people weren't so damned refractory all the time, I wouldn't always have to play Cassandra.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (3/9/2012)]
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 9 years ago
If you want to master the thesaurus as Bridger has done, the first rule you should know is:

you don't talk about, mention, speak of, discuss, reveal, disclose, make known, divulge or chat about such mastery.

supporter
I am merely a product of the pedagogical methods employed by Nancy Topel, Laura Lee, Henry Dykstra and the rest of the South Stacey Elementary faculty.
supporter
Frank,

Nicely summarized. The fact of the matter is that I know what goes on in those threads and I also know the futility of complaining about it. I probably don't have enough fingers to count the times that I have proclaimed on this board that I am not going to read the political threads anymore and have said it to myself much more than that but somehow I just can't stop clicking the threads. Aside from the politics, this board is quite pleasant with the exception of the odd swimming pool thread or discussion of the mayor.

I wouldn't think that this stuff is really necessary on this forum since it has nothing at all to do with Miles City and there are other places to discuss such things, but I've also been a regular on a dozen internet forums, and short of a concentrated effort by the moderators, contentious political discussion fouls every one of them to one degree or another. I look forward to the new board which appears to force people to click on individual topics, because I can resist the urge to click on "National/World News & Issues" much more easily than whatever salacious subject headers the board politics warriors come up with.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2743) 9 years ago
A lot of negative things get said about the nastiness and contentious-mess that often emerges on this site, but there is a positive side to it as well.

Back in 2007 when I was considering moving to Miles City, I was concerned about it being as isolated intellectually as it was geographically. A few days of monitoring Milescity.com abolished that concern. It showed me that real people were having real conversations about real issues that transcended the Miles City/Glendive rivalry. I saw a community that engaged in real debates about real problems in the nation and the world. And that showed me that MC would be a pretty cool place to live. (Are you listening Chamber of Commerce?).

Would it be nice to avoid polarization and playground-level insults in the process of debate? Of course. But I don't know why we should expect MC.commies to behave any differently than all other Earthlings. If anything, lack of emotion and absence of high drama would make this a very boring website indeed. When things cross the line, then a few sane posters typically step in to get things under control. If that fails, Larry does what he needs to do.

Bottom line: It's a cool site and meets different needs for different people. And if it isn't meeting someone's needs, then they have the choice of making it do so or abandoning ship.

It's a free website, after all ... in more ways than one.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+284) 9 years ago
Was that a dig at the Chamber Steve? If so, why, and if not, never mind...
supporter
It wasn't a dig at the Chamber per se - it's a bit broader than that but the Chamber is a symbol of the mindset I'm talking about.

It's pretty well known that the "establishment" of Miles City thinks that MilesCity.com is a blight on the City's economic development potential. Mayor Grenz's recent decision to avoid anything to do with this site is an example of that. But my impression is based more upon a few discussions with the "old guard" that I participated in directly as well as many more that were related to me by others.

This website is very unique to any city, but especially one the size of Miles City. And online communities are not just the future - they're the present. As I said in my previous post - Users can easily make this website work for them. The infrastructure would be horrendously expensive in both time and treasure to replicate. Larry has given Miles City a gift of amazing proportions.

For community leaders to shun a resource like milescity.com is just plain backwards and foolish. They're missing a great opportunity.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+474) 9 years ago
Joe Whelan always weighed in and had productive things to say when he was the Mayor. How he could have lost to Butch Grenz is such a mystery to intelligent, reasoning people, and also just another example of how the dumbing down of America will be its downfall.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+474) 9 years ago
I think a lot of your sheeple have your head in the sand where Obama is concerned. For example, the NDAA passed and signed on New Year's Eve to indefinitely detain and incarcerate Americans without charges and without a trial has now been followed up by the HR 347.

Only days after clearing Congress, US President Barack Obama signed his name to H.R. 347 on Thursday, officially making it a federal offense to cause a disturbance at certain political events - essentially criminalizing protest in the States.

RT broke the news last month that H.R. 347, the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011, had overwhelmingly passed the US House of Representatives after only three lawmakers voted against it. On Thursday this week, President Obama inked his name to the legislation and authorized the government to start enforcing a law that has many Americans concerned over how the bill could bury the rights to assemble and protest as guaranteed in the US Constitution.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/

I am not saying that at least 3 of the idiotic Republican Candidates would not have done the same, but hear that giant flushing sound? That's the sound of the American Middle Class, the American Dream, and the Constitution being flushed down the toilet by our acting President, who you all obviously worship so much you really are blind to what is really going on.
supporter
This law is a prime example of how damaging it is when decisions are based on fear. FDR was a hero to the middle class, but his horrendous decision to inter Americans of Japanese descent during the WWII years is one of the blackest spots on America's history.

President Obama's place in history will be marred by his failure to scale back the misnamed Patriot Act and other security measures that were passed when fear was rampant in the US.

As the grandfather of our nation (Ben Franklin) pointed out, Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.