Sidney Explosion
Posted by Montana Joe (+81) 10 years ago
Does anyone have any information on the explosion at the Law Enforcement building in Sidney? It shook quite a few buildings. Can't find anything on the "official" media sites.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9472) 10 years ago
If there's dead people from Sidney involved, Don Birkholtz will be on it ASAP.
Posted by nativemc (+915) 10 years ago
Where did you hear this and when?
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1907) 10 years ago
Heard it through the grapevine.
Posted by tax payer (+346) 10 years ago
Truck explosion while thawing it out at mondak trucking.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+485) 10 years ago
Article in the Sidney newspaper: (nobody injured)

http://www.sidneyherald.c...617356.txt
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1907) 10 years ago
So there was a loud noise and the grapevine made it more dramatic.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+18250) 10 years ago
I'm impressed that the little town of Sidney has a newspaper capable of publishing today's news today on the Internet. How progressive.
Posted by tax payer (+346) 10 years ago
The star has to wait for the grapevine to pass it on!
Posted by Its Me (+179) 10 years ago
I think the Star is afraid that if it posts todays news today, that the subscription rate will fall. This has been happening to the Billings Gazette, and now they have it set so you can only view so many pages a month.

Bottom line is they need the income to be able to pay emplyees to make the operation run.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 10 years ago
That Gazette thing is a pain. Should give you another 30 days if you toss your cookies, though.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12389) 10 years ago
If you have complaints about the web page, take it up with the owner. We aren't real happy with it either but, as I have pointed out many, many times, the Star does NOT have control over the web page beyond uploading stories once a day. And a limited number of them at that.

Yeah, we hear you. We feel the same pain. If you have an influence with the owner, please use it on our behalf.
Posted by Barb Highsmith(Martin) (+25) 10 years ago
We are lucky to have the paper twice a week here in Sidney, unlike some small towns that don't have one.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18269) 10 years ago
Author: David Schott Posted: 2/29/2012 1:08:45 PM From: - WA
I'm impressed that the little town of Sidney has a newspaper capable of publishing today's news today on the Internet. How progressive.

If you want to see what a littler Montana town has for internet newspaper capabilities.....

http://www.westyellowstonenews.com/
Posted by AshleyDawn (+348) 10 years ago
Mc.com is our internet newspaper here in mc, unofficially. We don't get paid, but the real writers for the paper don't get paid that great anyhow. Everything they don't steal from AP they found talked about on here first, and then use their platform to write about it. I like it on this side, though, it's so much less of an obligation to others, on so many different levels. Plus, we get as many, if not more, subscribers. Plus we can talk about whatever we want and can sometimes swear if Larry isn't paying attention. Woop woop!

Just seriously open this link.
http://www.cracked.com/ar...et_p2.html

[This message has been edited by AshleyDawn (3/1/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 10 years ago
You don't control the website because the Star is part of some group of newspapers? Or do I misunderstand what you're saying?
Posted by Steve Allison (+983) 10 years ago
The company, based in Livingston, has a tech person who keeps saying we will be getting new software that will have all the latest features, that will allow on line subscriptions and complete papers posted and so on. The problem is, because of no guaranteed revenue from it,it is a low priority. With twenty some papers all needing computers looked after, there is actually little time for web development.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 10 years ago
Gotcha.