What ever happen to acting like a lady?
Posted by Goodtime_Charlie (+129) 10 years ago
So maybe I am a bit old fashion, but I have to ask . When exactly did it become cool to be a young woman and talk like a sailor? As I walked through Wal-Mart this evening right around five, I just happen to walk pass random women/ girls shopping together, or just women talking in their cel phones, I was amazed how many times I heard the Phrase " I am gonna kick that Bi***** A**, or mother fu***** this, and fu** that, so I just began to pay a bit more attention to (women) around me, The more I listen the more I learned that we have hundreds of MOB WIVES here in Miles City. You would think in a small ranching type community we would have a few more morals and values, and women would act a little more like a lady, rather then a gang member. When did it become cool to make a spectical out of yourself and not be able to articulate a sentence without dropping a F-bomb after ever word? I just curious perhaps I missed the memo, or I am just out of the social loop. I guess the days of ladies like The ones off Dick Van Dyke, and the Andy Griffith show are certainly a dieing breed if not totally extinct

[This message has been edited by Goodtime_Charlie (2/27/2012)]

[This message has been edited by Goodtime_Charlie (2/27/2012)]
supporter
Posted by montanajane (+284) 10 years ago
Maybe they became less lady-like when men became less gentleman-like!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 10 years ago
Key sentence: "As I walked through WalMart..."
supporter
Posted by montanajane (+284) 10 years ago
I did not mean that I think it is ok!! And it happens in more places than just Wal-Mart!
Posted by RA (+643) 10 years ago
Yes ~ sadly it is becoming the 'norm'......ever listen to 4th-12th graders talk????? We need to expect higher language skills from our children. Raise the bar of expectation, the kids will rise to meet it.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 10 years ago
I also think it has something to do with just "socially" passing some students instead of flunking them and expecting them to actually do the work before graduation...also these rap songs are full of those words and the kids love that music..OK I know that I sound like I am old fashioned...Guess what, I am...LOL...I actually recently met a young man from Tennessee who had just graduated from high school and I mentioned going to see the Custer battle field and the Battle of the Little Bighorn as I think that memorial is well displayed and a good tour and he had never heard of it...I was shocked...also apparently they don't teach penmanship anymore, and I wondered why not?? some of the younger posters on here don't have any kind of punctuation, or correct spelling which amazes me...Everyone has a few spelling or punctuation errors but not that many...

I know some teachers are reading this and shaking their heads at me and for that I am sorry if I offended you, but I really don't understand why our kids seem to be this way...maybe it is all the "electronics" and the texting and abbreviations for that?? As for their language, I know that kids do sound like garbage talk a lot even some of my own relatives...I have been blaming that on the rap stuff, etc. but I could well be wrong...and this isn't just about girls...it is boys too as they are just as at fault IMO...
Posted by Mary B. (+196) 10 years ago
"Swearing like a sailor" has been around for how long?

Perhaps the double-standard is finally meeting its end. Why is it socially acceptable for a man to swear (and I hear plenty of that in public places, with no regard for who is around, and just as often by men over 40 than under), but not for a woman?
supporter
Agree Mary B as I said it is unisexual in nature and for years guys have been accepted doing it...but somehow now it is worse as I am hearing words that were NEVER spoken casually before...I am shocked at some of it and I can't even say what words for obvious reasons...
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 10 years ago
We subscribe to the "Character First" philosophy of childraising and discipline. For us, It all started with Montessori School quite a few years ago. Trust me, the hardest part was being the good example. I wonder what the world would be like if it became quite popular.
supporter
agree Jeff, with the "monkey see, monkey do"...if a good example is set at home, it helps, but certainly doesn't eliminate the problem totally...their peers are a huge influence IMO...I, too, sent my child to Montessori School and it was a great starter school...
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 10 years ago
Kids are horrible at swearing and do it way too much. It reduces your vocabulary and makes you sound like a simpleton when you swear constantly, and takes all the impact out of the words that you might need someday to really get your point across.

I don't really think that this is a new development though.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 10 years ago
GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Sunny (+373) 10 years ago
The F-bomb is NEVER acceptable from men or women! It really shows a lack of vocabulary. People are fed this language constantly in rap "music" and movies. Garbage in - garbage out. Gutter mouth follows a lack of discipline in many areas. Unfortunately, it seems conditions must reach crisis stage before we are motivated to fix them. I agree with RA - raise the bar! And include a consequence for transgressions.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3267) 10 years ago
I think it takes some "getting used to". I learned in the 70's that those are words and YOU put the meaning to them..so, in thinking that way, you find you are not easily offended. Just sharing:-)
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1665) 10 years ago
I don't know. I'm perfectly capable of swearing with the best of them. Yet, it appears I am able to get my point across when necessary, because I understand the importance of knowing the audience at hand. I was neither raised on rap music, nor do I consider myself a simpleton.

I cut my hand yesterday removing carpet from our house. My kids were not at home. Expletives were uttered. I'm not a believer that "Fudge" is any better than "F*ck." It's the intent that counts, not just whether you replaced two letters.

I'm in agreement with Levi. This is nothing new. Like premarital sex, that never happened in the old days either (wink, wink), it's always been there. People are just less guarded about expressing the fact that they do it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15094) 10 years ago
I would rather (especially where women are concerned) that they say what is REALLY on their mind, than hold it in, go into "silent violence" mode and then bear a grudge "forever". If that means some cussing is part of the remedy, then so be it.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17532) 10 years ago
My children attend Eton School where such coarse language is simply not tolerated. A stroll through the Eton campus is like a breath of fresh air as young ladies and gentlemen converse in only the politest of ways.

I find that foul language is a mark of the poorer, less-educated classes of society, and I feel that it has become more prevalent as more of society slips below the poverty line.

Oh well, let the cattle ride in steerage and shop at Walmart.

Toodle-oo.

supporter
I always love these "kids these days" threads. Just insert a new vice each time, and voila, a whole new discussion.

Who is responsible for raising these kids? Adults? Say it ain't so!
founder
Jane: I presume he went to Eton as a boy.

Jed: If I know Jethro, he went to eatin' the minute he was born.
supporter
Love ya, Dave, even all this way from steerage.

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (2/28/2012)]
supporter
"kids these days"
It's not just kids.

"getting used to"
is the equivalent to lowering the bar.

Kudos to the Eton School. It's the discipline thing. We all know the words, but we also know when it is NOT appropriate to use them. Shouting an expletive when you hit your thumb with a hammer at home is considered acceptable; in public, it is not. The F-bomb is not acceptable in any circumstance. There are plenty of words to tell how you REALLY feel without having a gutter mouth.
supporter
I disagree, Sunny. I found the F-bomb perfectly acceptable at home yesterday. Very cathartic.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 10 years ago
Procreate that.

For every thread, there's a Carlin video.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1911) 10 years ago
My father always said all words had their uses. Certain ones should be saved for extreme occasions. For example, if you used the Queen Mother of All Swear words in casual conversation, what is left for when you drop an anvil on your foot?

Kids use the words to make themselves feel cool and grown-up. Feeling cool and grown-up is very important when you are neither of these things.
Posted by Goodtime_Charlie (+129) 10 years ago
WOW!!! so to sum this up you are blaming men who are not gentleman., Who are of a lower social class, and listen to rap music. They never went to a proper school to learn social edict, and had parents who cussed all the time , and last but not least shop at Wal-mart? Thanks so much, to all you folks who clarified that for me it really helps....!!!!!! I will keep my eyes peeled for guys listening to rap music, reading DR Seuss in the Walmart parking lot, while they are getting a stern talking to by their parents....
Posted by Kacey (+3154) 10 years ago
People choose what persona they will display to the world. I feel saddened by all the young people both male and female who can't speak without swearing. It angers me when I am in a store with my grandkids. Little ones I have been teaching to NOT swear. They hear it as everyday language spoken by people who truly do not care about manners. It is NOT appropriate language for anyone, whether you are a young person, an old person (ever get grossed out by a really old person swearing?) or anyone in-between.

I would like to add something to those that can't post online without swearing every other word. Your words are out there forever once you hit the enter key. When you're wondering why you got turned down for that job maybe it's because you have pages and pages of swearing on facebook or myspace. Even if someone isn't on your friend's list they can google you and your comments will pop up.

Also the dirty jokes and sick cartoons you post portray a less than good job candidate.

I feel sad for humanity. Manners and common sense seem to have really become a thing of the past for too many.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+474) 10 years ago
I will have to agree with the original poster that girls these days are a lot more toilet-mouthed than they used to be. I'm not saying it's right for either sex. It just shows a lack of imagination.

I've been known to drop the occasional cuss-word but I don't do it in casual conversation, even though I only have a high-school education. I was raised in a house where we just didn't talk that way. Upbringing is the key ... how many adults do you hear swearing in the presence of their kids? I hear that all the time.
supporter
Thank you, Kacey! Well said.
Posted by roselight (+493) 10 years ago
i agree it does start alot with the way 1 is raised though not completly there ether.

it would be nice if both males and females would not only talk more decent, but also show more respect for 1 another as was done it the past,,,,awww for the good old days, lol
but even then we had room for inprovement.lol
supporter
Oh the good old days, when gay people stayed in the closet and black people knew better than to let the sun go down with them on the wrong side of the city limits sign, and the See Of Rome was allowed to run its child rape factory in peace.

Our society is BETTER today than it was 50 years ago, even if little girls are using the procreate word more often.

And anyone who thinks otherwise can go procreate themselves - I'll take honest vulgarity over civil and mannered hypocrisy any day.
Posted by Kacey (+3154) 10 years ago
Bridgier,

Your comments about blacks and gays were totally out of line. Not even the topic of conversation in this forum.

People can use manners and act civilly without being hypocrites.

I'm sorry for you if you can't function as a decent human being in a civilized world.
supporter
Kacey, for Gods sake, he was just giving a comparison to the old days and not being a racist...plus I agree with him in oh so many ways, having lived back in those years...
supporter
Kacey once swore she'd never comment in a thread I'd participated in, an oath she has broken many times since. I'm not sure why she's always so angry, or why I deprive her of the ability to comprehend what she reads, but I seem to bring out the worst in her. No subject is a safe one - I think I offended her once with a recipe suggestion.

Oh well.
Posted by lissalou (+24) 10 years ago
Bridgier,

Perhaps Kacey simply does not get your brand of sarcasm.
supporter
I give and I give, but it's always for naught...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 10 years ago
Posted by AshleyDawn (+341) 10 years ago
Somebody google Louis CK 'hilarious'. Amorette, you will appreciate the humor as Im sure others will, as well. He describes exactly your point. And it truly is hilarious.
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+717) 10 years ago
With the amount of children born out of wedlock at forty percent nationwide don't tell me morality and ethics hasn't changed. This is in an age when birth control is very much available. Very little for excuses especially for the two or more time losers. I am not callling the children losers but the parents who choose to have them when they aren't ready or able to take on the responsibilitiy. I know this will get some posters enraged, but I am sick of paying for their poor judgment with my tax dollars. These are the same people who cry more, more, when it comes to public facilities. It called a sense of entitlement. If this upsets you, how about paying the Federal Government for your deliveries? (not counting food stamps, ADC,and other programs) I don't want anyone to starve, just have some responsibility.
supporter
I can agree with that. Too bad humans don't lay eggs - sterilize some males...
supporter
I can agree with that as well for the multiple offenders as I have actually seen a couple "plan" a baby around their needs for public assistance but I think or at least hope it is not the norm...when I see all these little children, it is heartbreaking to me as so many couples in this nation cannot have children...and then a lot of these kids have to almost raise themselves...but I don't have the answer and certainly don't wish to see hunger any worse than it already is..
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 10 years ago
I've used the F-word a few times when I felt it was appropriate and did a fantastic job of getting my message across. Of course I've used it many more times when it wasn't appropriate. People who swear constantly though (usually teenagers), in my opinion, sound like rubes, and that's not because I'm sensitive or offended by the words. They just sound like morons. If the f-word is your only adjective, you're probably an idiot.

I think you need to save the really good words for extreme situations, because they're supposed to be shocking and if you say them all the time, they're not.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 10 years ago
My childhood experience with swearing was a few well-placed GD's and s**ts from frustrated (and rightly so) parents. It was clear, though, that we weren't allow to swear. Even the word "suck" drew a cringe from my mom. But everyone in college swore a blue streak, including me. I think it's part of exerting one's independence. I got over it as most people do. Those who don't shop at Wal-mart.
supporter
Another thing to miss about the good old days - aspirin as a contraceptive, and there certainly weren't so many Ms. Slutty McSlutSluts using the procreate word now was there?

You know they all own color TV's cell phones and fill up the trunks of their Cadillacs with t-bones and cigarettes they bought with food stamps amirite?

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (2/29/2012)]
supporter
Just came across this, and thought I should share it, as it seems to tie this thread together nicely: http://www.first-draft.co...er-it.html (you'll have to munge the url as necessary to undo the profanity-filter's work. You're all big kids on the internet now, so I assume you'll all be able to figure it out)
supporter
Here is Bridgiers article for those of you not able to figure out the URL...

February 29, 2012

Get The Procreate Over It

Oh, GOD, I cannot with this country right now:

My daughter's fourth-grade teacher is unmarried and pregnant. Although she is a fantastic educator, kids at that age are bound to ask questions and are old enough that you cannot placate them with a simple answer. I asked her teacher what she told the children about her condition. She told me that she informed them she was pregnant (she is due in June, so this was obvious) and that was it. I asked her if she planned to keep the baby. She told me that was her business alone and she is not obligated to explain her marital status or plans with her child to me or anybody else. I feel that this woman has significant exposure and influence over my child and my questions were perfectly acceptable. Should I take this to the principal or switch classrooms? My husband thinks we should drop it, but I don't want my daughter to get the impression
that single motherhood is acceptable.

Prudence rightly tells this crazy nosy skank to procreate right the procreate off, but she comes right back:

I am having a hard time just "dropping" this. My daughter loves her teacher and is with her for a considerable amount of her day. Her teacher is somebody she looks up to, and now I am afraid my daughter is getting a bad example. I always plan to treat her teacher with respect, but that does not mean her condition does not have consequences at her job-which is influencing young minds!

You know what, for serious find something to DO. I am not an inordinately active person but I swear to God right now, whenever somebody tells me something you know what my first reaction is? These days? It's "Do I need to be here for this meeting? Like, do you need me to do anything about whatever it is?" Okay, then. If something is not actually on fire, or someone else is already engaged in putting the fire out, my primary reaction is relief. Goody, I get to watch some TV or take a bath. Make myself some cinnamon rolls. Have you ever made cinnamon rolls from scratch? It's so easy and they taste incredible.

What I mean is, how on earth do you have time to skulk around worrying and worrying about how your kid feels about her knocked up teacher? Don't you have work or volunteering or books to read or Netflix or something? Don't you have a kid to take care of? Doesn't your bathroom floor ALWAYS need cleaning? I clean mine like every two days and I don't understand it, the ferrets aren't even IN there, how do dust bunnies get procreateing everywhere? Aren't there museums to visit or baseball games where you are, crazyface? Is this really the biggest thing you have going on? Call your friends, go see a movie. Play some chess. Eat an apple.

I've talked before about how we seem incapable of looking at people who are living lives we wouldn't live and just shrugging, and this is exactly it.
Posted by AnnaN (+16) 10 years ago
How did this get to a rambling about the poor? Mrs M I agree with you that people should definatly not be having children without being completely stable, but you hate having to pay for their public assistance..really? Right now 50% of America is considered low income, 50% could qualify for food stamps. And while you bitch and moan about having to pay for the poors mistakes maybe you should worry more about corporate welfare that your paying. GE got a 3 billion dollar tax credit they didn't have to pay back , big oil received about 2 billion in tax credits. With those 2 company's alone that's 5 billion in tax payer money, WAY MORE than food stamps gives out in a year. It's reprehensible really complaining about how you have to pay for the poor when rich CEOs are riding around in nice cars robbing the public dry. So please refrain from blaming your poor neighbors. Your really complaining about the wrong people.
supporter
Anna, agree that corporate welfare is far worse...In any imagination...
Posted by AnnaN (+16) 10 years ago
Also "Men" don't feel obligated to stay with the women when they get pregnant anymore. I know of 4 or 5 young woman pregnant in this town. And where are their men? This day and age it's more of a sorry I can't do it" attitude. I'm not saying its all men, just to many. And im talking about people in their 20's who should maybe own up and take some responsibility.
Posted by Former (+181) 10 years ago
What ever happened to Dowries?

The times they be a changin'!
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 10 years ago
Hey Anna, ya don't spose it could make a difference if parents started pushing ethical behavior and character building? It's gotta start somewhere, maybe schools should try it.
founder
AnnaN wrote:
"Also 'Men' don't feel obligated to stay with the women when they get pregnant anymore."

"Men" are such hounds.
supporter
Also "Men" don't feel obligated to stay with the women when they get pregnant anymore. I know of 4 or 5 young woman pregnant in this town. And where are their men? This day and age it's more of a sorry I can't do it" attitude. I'm not saying its all men, just to many. And im talking about people in their 20's who should maybe own up and take some responsibility.

A problem easily solved if polygamy were allowed. Go read about cultures where it is allowed. You will learn that children are well care for.
Posted by Grim Reaper (+78) 10 years ago
My guess is that Anna is a welfare victim, and probably tried trapping some poor guy by getting pregnant.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 10 years ago
Richard, you realize that you are nuts, right?

I suggest that if a young lady doesn't want to be deserted when she gets pregnant, use birth control.
supporter
Wendy: while I completely agree with your solution, I am actually quite serious. Over the last few months I have ready several books on human sexuality. Properly understood and implemented, polygamy can be very beneficial part of a culture. Many of the sexuality problems we have today are the result of narrowly defined expectations that are forced on society by religion. I think we can learn some things by studying and applying what has worked in other cultures. If that makes me "nuts" or seriously "nuts" so be it.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/1/2012)]
supporter
Sister Wives, here we come LOL...At least on that reality show, they appear to be happy...
supporter
I like the show Sister Wives. It's funny to watch all those kids be completely disgusted by their gross father and pathetic mothers.
supporter
Perhaps we should be more egalitarian and use the term Polyamory instead.
supporter
I prefer the term "responsible non-monogamy".

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/2/2012)]
supporter
You might also refer to it as "pimpin" or "low self-esteem."
supporter
But that doesn't sound as cultured, or "lady-like".
supporter
lol, Denise.....:-)
Posted by Shannon H (+6) 10 years ago
You should go live in one of those cultures for a couple years to see if it really works like the books say. They have more troubles than are on the surface.
supporter
Let's get back on topic, people. Just why are these young women walking around talking like a bunch of drunken, hopped up, meth-ingesting crack-whores?
Posted by Caila Williams (+31) 10 years ago
They're probably walking around talking like that for the same reasons men are...

Having a vagina doesn't constitute gentleness, humility, frailty or quietness, any more than having a penis constitutes physical strength, aggression, success or loudness.

One's character isn't decided based on anatomy, regardless of what our social constructs would like us to believe and follow.

And if foul language is indicative of drug use or prostitution, as some have implied, I'm in trouble.....
supporter
I need to make my sarcasm more obvious.
supporter
need a little sarcasm symbol, me thinks....
Posted by Chris (+77) 10 years ago
God is Love... and the more we push him out of our lives the more this will be. You wouldn't talk to someone you love like that. So it all come's down to what is in the hart. When filth and hate are part of the norm in the lives of people they push there Loveing God out... The Bible tells us these thing will get very bad in the last days. The more we push God out the more we will see Twisters, Earthquakes, Floods, and more Death. God ask's us to love each other as he does! BAD TREE'S GIVE BAD FRUIT!