supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 10 years ago
Posted by Mary Bonine (+31) 10 years ago
Funny? No. More like racist and insensitive.
supporter
No Mary what will be racist, insensitive, and uncharitable is when I start telling Bonine jokes. The person who sent me the sign was born in Pakistan. He got a giggle out of it and so did I. May be you should eat some CHEER-ios.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 10 years ago
While I am the first one to say something is racist, this time, I think, that it is funny in the way people make fun of themselves and since I have been frustrated many times by the "microsoft helpers" online, I did laugh...It isn't putting down the Hindu people for anything but it is frustrating to try to deal with that heavy accent and english that isn't well developed (which isn't their fault, they just need jobs like any people do)...I will rise to the fight for anyone being a racist, but I don't believe Richard is being a racist...
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17433) 10 years ago
I bet last summer's Bonine Family Reunion was a real brawl ball.

Here you go, Howdy:

The Seattle Times: "Microsoft's call-center business in India gets an American accent"
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+439) 10 years ago
So if I repeat a joke as told by an African-American that includes the N-word, it's not racist since someone from that race or culture said it first??

Seems to me that a key aspect of racism is stereotyping those not like yourself and then using that stereotype to make fun of them. Pretty sure if I circulated this joke on my work email, the civil rights people in my organization would be all over me, and they should be.

Yes, Richard it is racist.
supporter
that's good David, but I still would love those jobs to return to the US...we need more jobs here so badly...thanks for the link...
supporter
Big Dave, he didn't call anyone any names like the N word...just talked about the dot on their forehead...big difference to me at least...

The dot is a Hindu, not Indian, tradition. It is a common error to confuse the terms Hindu and Indian, though. The vast majority of Indian people are Hindu, but there are also Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, and people of other faiths.

One of every six people in the world is Hindu, so it's not surprising the dot goes by different names in different dialects. You'll hear it referred to as a "tilaka," a "bottu," or a "bindi."

Traditionally, the dot carries no gender limitation: men as well as women wear it. The tradition of men's wearing the tilaka has faded in recent times, though, so nowadays you see a lot more women than men sporting one.

Red is the traditional color, but that's also changing - people now go with different colours depending upon their preferences. Traditionally, some unmarried women wore black dots, while married women sported red ones. Today, women often wear dots that match the color of their saris.

The position of the tilaka is standard: centre of the forehead. It represents a third, inner eye. Hindu tradition holds that all people have three eyes, the two outer ones used for seeing the outside world, the third one focusing inward toward God. As such, the red dot signifies piety as well as serving as a constant reminder to keep God in the front of a believer's thoughts.

[This message has been edited by howdy (2/26/2012)]
supporter
So are North Dakota jokes "racist"? Are Blonde jokes "racist"? Are jokes about Glendive "racist"? Is all stereotypical humor now "racist". Where does it end. My motive is simply to bring a smile to peoples face and make the laugh once in a while. The notion that 90% of the jokes told in bars, at the sale barn, etc. are now "racist" and thus "unacceptable behavior" is a expansion of the term that I find implausible and unacceptable.

Sheesh.......

End of rant. Going to go watch the Fords beat the Chevy's. Oh, Snap... that is probably "racist"

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/26/2012)]
supporter
+10 Richard,
supporter
So, if the joke didn't involve the N word but instead made light of African-Americans and basketball or soul food or rap music, it would not be racist?

Pure and simple the joke makes light of another's culture and traditions and I am certain that people of that culture would or could be offended. Pretty sure that's racist.
supporter
Oh, and if Korky or Chris Sirchia (sp?) or others that you frequently disagree with posted this joke, would it still not be racist?
supporter
It still would not be...You seem to be accusing me of being dishonest...I am just posting my own opinion, nothing more nor less...as I am, you are also entitled to your own opinion and I am trying to respect it...I would appreciate the same...

I usually hate it when people use slang terms like the N word in a joke...that is awful to me...I grew up in the old south and am offended by things like that as I lived thru the civil rights movement...

[This message has been edited by howdy (2/26/2012)]
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+667) 10 years ago
Using the N word in a joke or a statement makes a HUGE difference in how the joke or statement is meant to be heard.

There are several other words that can have the same impact with different nationalities as the N word has with black people. Either your joke is INTENDED to be malicious or just as a humorous statement which most people with common sense can figure out and laugh with it.\These people can be of ANY of the different cultures.

Anyways, Big Dave... and maybe others here... you need to have more experience of being around, interacting with, working with, and/or just being friends with black people.

I have, in my life and living areas and working environments, have done all of the above. One thing stands out though, one of the major thing that really bugs the heck out of most black people is being called "African Americans."

It's a good point, why are black people called "African-Americans? Are they all really from AFRICA? Even when they are born in America?

Oh.. it because it is the "politically correct" thing to do.

What about white people? We call ourselves American.. How come we aren't defined as to where our ancestors came from?

I would be considered "Norwegian American" even though I wasn't born there and only I guess an 8th Norwegian.

It goes on and on....

No, the joke was NOT racist or offensive... and less more so as it was relayed originally from someone from the country defined in the joke...

Again, some words should NEVER be used in any context, but in this case, nothing was said or wrote in a malicious manner... it was a joke.. and it was funny...
Posted by boxdmc (+95) 10 years ago
Funny, Insensative but not racist. I'm a redneck and I love jokes about rednecks and I don't care if a mexican, black or hindu tells the joke, it's still funny. If the person you are telling the joke about isn't laughing, you're probably out of line.

BTW, I just returned from Mexico. Do you know what people in the part of Mexico I visited call themselves? Mexicans! In American that is a racist statement. Maybe we Americans are tooooo sensative for the sake of other ethnic or religious backgrounds. As usual, it's not what is said that is offensive but the context in which it's said.
Septy Two nailed it while I was typing.

[This message has been edited by boxdmc (2/26/2012)]
supporter
I disagree. The joke demeans Hindus. Evidently they are only qualified to manage convenience stores and hotels or hold customer service jobs with Microsoft. Evidently their culture and race limits them from being engineers, musicians, artists etc.

Again, if the joke inferred that blacks were only fit to be basketball players...well you get the drift.
Posted by boxdmc (+95) 10 years ago
Big Dave: And all rednecks have 2 car on blocks in their yard and a couch on the porch and white men can't jump.It's a stereotpye, get it? It's not a 100% true but many can associate with it.

For the record I don't have any cars on blocks or couches on the front porches, but I have been know to shoot a rattlesnake under the front porch and once a packrat in the garage.
Thanks Big Dave, you said very well what I meant.
And IMO, jokes about North Dakotans and blondes fall into the same category.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+667) 10 years ago
lol

what do you call 100 blonds standing ear to ear?

A wind tunnel
supporter
LOL about the blondes, some folks are getting so damn politically correct, that they have lost their sense of humor IMO...I will respect the opposite point of view but please respect mine...
Posted by AshleyDawn (+340) 10 years ago
Richard, either way the fact that you would post this just shows you have ZERO taste in humor or tact. If other MONTANAN'S think it's potentially racist, it's probably definitely racist. In addition, im sorry but you sure don't strike me as the type that would be exchanging e-mails with a Hindu person that likes to make fun of themselves.
If you want to start debate, at least try and do it intelligently.
Posted by ABE (+414) 10 years ago
It's a fu----- joke. Jesus h Christ .
I just love how people throw the it's racist thing around now.
That is not racism. I dought half of you have ever dealt with REAL Racism, not this pittly religious joke, but full out bullhorn in hand racism.
I've seen it, stood up against it, and this joke ain't it.

So, wana hear a joke?
supporter
+10 ABE ....I went thru so much during the civil rights movement, and have, in my life, fought hard against racism...even got into a screaming match with some dude about a black lady being able to use a dang water fountain...I, too, like ABE, know real racism, and it ain't pretty...Richard is a very kind and thoughtful person and for anyone to imply otherwise is disgusting...
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 10 years ago
If a Pakistani sent it to you about Hindus... I would almost guarantee that it was racist.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Rats, Bridgier, you beat me to the punch. Pakistan is overwhelmingly Muslim, not Hindu. Clashes between Hindus and Muslims in India are legend.
supporter
However, since it is racist to a Muslim, does that now make it racist to an American Christian?? We tell jokes about Christians and funny signs about Jesus, and most folks laugh, is that racist too?? I just think we are ruining a great sense of humor and jokes...any Joke that uses a horrid word like the "N" word or such is definitely racist to me and I will fight them at every opportunity but a joke about a southerner (I am one) and describing them as being dumb like blonde jokes, is funny to me and I am personally not offended...c'mon folks...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 10 years ago
You can't spell Bonine without Bin. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's probably a Muslim extremist of some sort.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (2/27/2012)]
supporter
Howdy, I know lots of jokes that don't use the "n" word that are still incredibly racist.

The joke above IS funny, but that doesn't mean it isn't racist, or that I wouldn't be offended if I was a Hindu. I mean, I can pass it along to some of my Indian friends here at work, and see what they think. I'll bet some of them are amused and some of them are not - should I tell them to "lighten up"? or suggest if they don't like it maybe they should move?

Are gay jokes cool? If not, why not? I'll bet there's a lot of them that American Christians find pretty funny.
Since when does race constitute religion and vice versa?
Sounds kinda racist to me ?

Race means nothing to God, unless your white southern babtist.

Ohhhhhhhhpppppp. Am I being racist?

[This message has been edited by ABE (2/27/2012)]
supporter
Bridgier, I would never tell a joke that demeans anyone and I don't think the joke that started this thread does...I will agree to disagree with you and others, as I am trying hard to not become so rigidly politically correct that I lose my sense of humor...as I have said many times on this web site, I will respect your opinion and I only ask that you do likewise...
supporter
Probably.
supporter
Is this racist???

WWCS?

( what would Colbert say)?
supporter
Do you honestly think whomever wrote the original was expecting everyone to be as scrupulous in parsing the conflation of race and religion as the posters on mc.com apparently are?
Posted by nativemc (+919) 10 years ago
Want to know where to hear the best Indian jokes? Go to the reservation. Want to hear the best ND jokes? Go to ND. Just saying. People will tell jokes about other people places and things. People will take offense to the smallest things. i realize that there are very terrible jokes that are very demeaning but this wasnt one of them.
supporter
i realize that there are very terrible jokes that are very demeaning but this wasnt one of them

But I guess my point is... relative to what? And who gets to make the determination?

Also, I imagine there are some funny jokes about indians on the reservation... is it the white guy telling them? Is there something to ponder here? What might it be?
Oh yeah. Ooooohhhhyyyyeeeeaaaahhhh.
A simple thing blown out of proportion on MC.com
Imagine that, amazing, I wouldn't expect any less.

Can we still post Pope jokes?

Or are they Verboten?
supporter
Well, I've asked all sorts of questions first ABE, so why don't you try engaging MY argument before we move on to yours?

I mean, this is all somewhat idiotic. Is the sign funny? Yes. Is it racist? Yes. These qualities aren't mutually exclusive, and between the two of them lies some interesting territory that we could discuss, but first we apparently need to fall all over ourselves to pretend that tops telling jokes about bottoms is totally cool, and someone heard a Chris Rock routine once and so why can't I talk like that?

Jesus people, really?
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+484) 10 years ago
You can tell you're on MC.com when people get all bent out of shape about a freaking JOKE.

I'm Catholic, Irish, Norwegian and German so nothing bothers me. If I got all insulted every time I heard a Catholic, Irish, Norwegian or German joke I'd have have probably killed myself by now.
supporter
I'm Catholic, Irish, Norwegian and German at the top of the power structure across multiple demographics so nothing bothers me.

FTFY
supporter
that was a racist joke to the FTFY folks in the urban dictionary LOL...
Posted by mckee (+383) 10 years ago
Why is everyone soooooooooooooo negative, if you don't like don't read and just on.
Richard by the way the joke was funny.
Posted by hat_3275 (+70) 10 years ago
Are Miles City jokes racist?
Sorry I goofed I left a couple of words out. Should have said why is everyone soooooooooooo negative. If you don't like what was said don't read it on just move on. I wanted to correct my errors before I got nasty feed back.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17663) 10 years ago
"If two Glendive albinos have a kid, would it be invisible?"

No. But if you took a photo and looked at the negative, you'd see one dark nigger!
Howdy, just because it isn't blatantly depriving civil rights to a minority, doesn't mean it isn't predjudice. That's like saying 'it's only a little racist'. For someone that prides themself on social tolerance I find it a little contradicting that you find humor in sectoral humor such as this.
Yep, natives are allowed to tell jokes about their 'own' people, just as Arrival Americans can acceptable use the 'n' word whenever they please. Just because it's acceptable for them doesn't mean anybody can just refer to a culture of people by that term and expect to not have people take offense. It's common sense.

Im disgusting and Richard's funny. Howdy, you're mentally ill.
As ignorant as humor such as this is, I can also see the other side of the coin. It's pretty ignorant for a group of individuals that are a minority and have or have had social struggles to overcome society's 'predjudice' against their recognition as equals to turn around and exclude themselves constantly in their terminology and vocabulary. If you want to be equal then be equal and see everyone else as equals to you. If this was the case, then it would be socially acceptable for anyone to casually use these terms, regardless of whether you are a part of the group the term is referring to or not....

Since that's not how it is, though, until it becomes that way doing it is just distasteful. Contradiction, yes. Unfair, maybe. But it is what it is.
supporter
Ashely Dawn: Howdy is NOT mentally ill. She is a very sweet "little-ole-grandma" lady that has likely forgotten more about life and racial issues than you will ever know. You need to stop with such liable statements. There have already been consequences because of your posting in this thread.

All: Sorry for starting such a controversy. My intent was to make people laugh, not start another war of words. My take was (and still is) that Microsoft, not any religion, is the butt of the joke. The person who sent me the joke was born as a Shi'ite Muslim in Pakistan. He came to the US and converted to Christianity. I was at his US naturalization ceremony. He is not racist. He opened my eyes to many cultural issues I had never understood before. He is one of the nicest people you would ever hope to meet. He understands, more than most Americans, how blessed we are to live in this country.

Further, as one born and raised in Miles City, MT. I intend to go to my grave telling North Dakota jokes, Glendive jokes, blonde jokes, etc. Frankly, if you don't like my attitude on this matter that is your problem, not mine. I will try to be a little more sensitive where religion is concerned.

If your life is so miserable that all you have to do is sit around and act "offended" on MC.com over a joke, then you need to fix your situation. I'd suggest that you drink more beer and get laid more often. Whatever it takes to build a bridge and get over your pathetic little life and start smiling again.

End of Rant.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/28/2012)]
Whether or not a joke directed at a minority group really depends on its source and the education of the source . In this case, this joke may be appreciated within the minority group called out in the joke. Others who may be able to appropriately find humor in the dialogue contained in the joke might be others as equally educated about the group being referenced, and the incredibly incorrect stereotypes of them. In this case, neither is present. It's just a few ignorant Montanan's stereotyping a culture they know nothing about- based on the only knowledge they do have about it. In other words, totally procreating prejudiced. Seriously, Howdy, 'I guess everybody has to work...but their accent is annoying.' How ignorant can you really be? Try exercizing a little more restraint when stereotyping entire cultures of people you have no clue of which how REALLY live their lives.
That is disgusting.
supporter
Posted by Fitchinallday (+506) 10 years ago
How many blond jokes are there? 1, the rest are true stories.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17433) 10 years ago
supporter
Everything AD writes reads like an essay from a college class with a name that ends in "101".
Richard, I will bring attention to whatever I feel like bringing attention to here on mc.com. Your authoritative and threatening tone is childish and is exactly the type of indication of unhappiness with your own life that you yourself just mentioned is apparent in some comments made and by certain individuals on this forum. Any 'consequences' resulting from comments made by any one individual on mc.com would obviously be to a person or group of people that probably did whatever created the 'consequence' in the first place. In fact, I have been pleasantly suprised by the potential contribution my posts might have already made on certain topics here on mc.com. Don't be mad at me for pointing out the clearly misguided and unbalanced rationale of someone- if it were me, I'd be happy for the enlightenment. God knows there's plenty of topics I know nothing about. The only difference here was there was someone clearly trying to represent that they understood something they clearly didn't at all. Not to mention the fact that she has already freely called me trash and disgusting. Maybe stupid people shouldn't pretend to be smart, then b**ches like me wouldnt so willingly take the very frequent opportunities available to point out how not smart they actually are.

I understand the consequence of this post may be Howdy's bruised ego. As I said above, that would be a consequence of her own post, not of mine that simply points out her blatantly uneducated position on your clearly badly intentioned 'joke'.
One more thing. Richard, how long have you been actively contributing to the mc.com community? You are really surprised that this joke was received so poorly by some? Im calling BULL SH**. You knew it would and that's the ONLY reason you did post it. Not everyone is as stupid as some old grandma ladies that frequently respond with enthusiasm at any of your posts, regardless of the actual content that they contain.

Ughhh
supporter
The consequences were economic. This trip to I had planned to stay at the motel where you are employed. Given that you decided to make make disparaging remarks about me, that money is going to another place in town. Your posting cost your place of employment a client.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/28/2012)]
supporter
I knew I should have let this thread lie.

BASICALLY WHAT I WANTED TO SAY: Lots of jokes are subjectively funny, and a lot of those are objectively racist. There is an interesting discussion that COULD be had regarding the intersection of those two facts, but honestly, "I'm a member of a demographic that is in no danger of being discriminated against in any meaningful way and I don't mind jokes that in no way endanger my privileged classes privileges, so no one should have any problems with this other joke I heard" isn't one of them.

Procreate.
Richard, im not the owner and I get a paycheck regardless of our occupancy. The fact that disliking me because of my response to your thread would have such an affect on you that you altered your itinerary because of it is pretty amazing. This hasfor nothing toabout do withyou my employment or my job performance (which is pretty stellar by the way- just let me know if you already have reservations and need any help cancelling them)...Now multiply that by a very large number and you can understand the number of potential visitors Miles City probably loses because of people's lack of desire to subject themselves to a community containing a large majority of people that think jokes like the one that started this thread are 'funny'. A LOT of people see the information on here, Richard.
It was about Microsoft. Seriously, man? Wow.
Posted by lissalou (+23) 10 years ago
Holy S**t!!

The joke suggested that Hindu people supposedly own convenience stores, gas stations, donut shops, taxi cabs, and motels in the United States. Well, isn't that just irrational, presumptive, injurious, and detrimental. And then to state that Microsoft has customer service centers in India? Horrifying! That is just downright hateful and unfair.

The most injurious thing I could find was someone scratching a dot off some poor woman's forehead.
+2 for Bridgier. I always knew you were smart.

I was pretty certain that Richard's intent in posting the sign was humor, especially since it was in the humor and jokes category. I had one of those awkward moments reading it as I started to think it was funny and then realized it was crossing a line in making fun of other religions and cultures. Perhaps I should have read it and moved on, but I chose to call it as I saw it.

I think I have a good sense of humor, and I find much of the stuff posted here funny. Am I too sensitive to issues of race, class, sex, and other "isms"? Maybe. But I've experienced enough of it first hand to see the pain it causes. And there's really no place for it in the world today. All we need is love....
supporter
Per the usual, I was right. Richard is a little sheet head.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Bridgier, watch your whoevers and whomevers.