Good soil for gardening
Posted by Seuk Samus (+355) 9 years ago
Is there any body that happens to know where I can get about 4 cubic yards of good soil for a raised bed vegetable garden in the spring time?

[This message has been edited by Seuk Samus (2/25/2012)]
bump
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1192) 9 years ago
Not much help, but there were a couple of ads in the Star for top soil and such. Might try there.
Thank you Stan. I'll take a look.
Posted by Jennifer Nagy (+52) 9 years ago
Believe it or not I want to the county cemetary (I asked them first). Good Soil. It came with weeds though-bindweed (which I had anyway) and sunflowers. Don't know if I would use that source again.

I also got some from a family who had a pile of dirt in the ROW after installing a new walkway in town. I just knocked on the front door, and they were happy I took it away. (That was good stuff).

Next time I need soil I think I will try a mix of rotted straw, aged manure and maybe some peat moss.

Hope these ideas help.
It sure does Jennifer! Thank you!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14947) 9 years ago
I think I probably know the answer to this, but, does the City or County have a composting program. What happens to all of the lawn clippings and leaves that get dumped? Would there be interest in starting a composting program in Miles City? Is there any interest in a Hoop house at the community garden. I think there maybe federal funding available for this.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/9/2012)]
How would one propose a project like this to the city?
Posted by Mike Willson (+202) 9 years ago
234 3998 I can get you good stuff!
Info on how to make a proposal to the city or good soil?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 9 years ago
The city or maybe it was just area residents were dumping grass clippings behind Tedesco field for years - I can't believe anyone would object to going and collecting some of it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14947) 9 years ago
Seuk: I will make a few phone calls and research the issue. When the research is done a plan can be put together and submitted. Stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (3/10/2012)]
Sounds good. It would also save a lot of realestate in the land fill!
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1595) 9 years ago
Buck, we have not dumped grass behind Tedesco for a while. We had to remove that pile because of the stink. People complained that they could smell it during the football game. We have a compost pile on our long range plans, we are just finding it hard to pick a location that does not offend people.
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1192) 9 years ago
The land fill has a pile seperate for lawn clipping. the problem with that is that you don't know what kind of chemicals people use on thier lawn that get hauled out there and dumped. So you might wind up with something in your compost that will kill everything in your garden.
Posted by Exalted Buckaroo (+247) 9 years ago
(This comment's a little off-topic as it relates to compost rather than topsoil but maybe you'll find it relevant as compost has also recently been discussed.)

Seuk's suggestion re: compost is a strong business opportunity for the Custer County landfill or a local entrepreneur. Really good compost requires about two years to build and there's no reason it couldn't be finished locally. As fuel and food prices rise, so will demand for good compost.

Landfill operations are contracted locally by the Solid Waste Board, which contains appointees by both Custer County & Miles City. Some direction to the contractor by the Solid Waste Board to begin producing quality compost would probably net favorable results.
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+210) 9 years ago
Suek,

You can purchase very good soil out at Miles City Greenhouse on Valley Drive East. They have already bagged soil that would be perfect for a raised-bed garden.

Ask for Justin., he's the pro out there and he'll fix you up.
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1915) 9 years ago
I thought Miles City Greenhouse was closed. I tried contacting them by phone and got a number disconnected message.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1499) 9 years ago
I thought Miles City Greenhouse was closed. I tried contacting them by phone and got a number disconnected message.

You are correct, but I am not sure about the landscaping part of the business. Did Steve get my email about the kids?

[This message has been edited by MRH (3/12/2012)]