Those Raisin-Ketchup Cookies
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
Yep, it was 25 years ago--a quarter of century--that Russell Bonine dared to make Raisin Ketchup cookies at the Cookie Cook-off. However, it was Randy's Impossible Peanut Butter Cookies that took first prize. Mary contributed Debbie's Peppermint Kisses. I have no idea who Debbie is.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Why, Debbie is my wife.

Has it REALLY been 25 years? Can you post the recipe for the raisin-ketchup cookies?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17049) 9 years ago
raisin-ketchup cookies

supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Actually David, they are very tasty.
Posted by Mary Bonine (+37) 9 years ago
Richard it was posted in the "Bonine Question" thread but here it is again:

Ketchup and Raisin Cookies

1 c. margarine
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. ketchup
3/4 c. raisins

Beat margarine until light. Gradually add sugars, beating constantly. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla to blend well.
Sift together dry ingredients. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with ketchup. Fold in raisins. Drop heaping teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. Brush on Lemon Glaze while hot. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

Lemon Glaze
1 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
2 T. strained lemon juice

Stir until smooth. Add more juice 2 drops at a time if needed to make a transpaent glaze. Makes 1/2 cup.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
Raisin-Ketchup Cookies ala Bonine:

1 c. margarine
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 c. tomato ketchup
3/4 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Beat margarine until light. Gradually add both sugars. Beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla to blend well. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir into creamed mixture alternately with ketchup. Fold in raisins and nuts.
Drop from a teaspoon 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies to cooling rack. While still hot, brush on lemon glaze.

Lemon Glaze; Mix 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar with 2 Tbs. lemon juice, strained, until smooth.

Does Russell still have a thick head of dark hair? Oh, I wish I could print the pictures.

Here are the other recipes for reference:

Impossible Peanut Butter Cookies

1 c. peanut butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg.

Mix ingredients in medium sized bowl and roll into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and press the tops with a fork. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes.

got to credit Randy with simplicity

Debbie's Peppermint Kisses

4 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and peppermint extract together until soft peaks form. Add brown sugar gradually, beating all the time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside 48 chocolate pieces and fold remainder into egg mixture.
Drop teaspoonfuls 1 inch apart onto waxed paper on a baking sheet. Top each with a chocolate piece. Bake in a 300°F degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until set and slightly brown.
To remove cookies, remove paper from baking sheet, spread a wet towel on the hot baking sheet and place the paper of kisses on the towel. Let stand only 1 minute. The steam will loose the kisses and they will slip off easily onto a spatula.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 9 years ago
I have passed on the legacy as these cookies earned a purple ribbon at the Reno County fair this past year for one of my kids.

founder
Posted by David Schott (+17049) 9 years ago

I think it's an amazing case of "E.S.P."-like craziness that Mary and Amorette typed those recipes... nearly simultaneously?!
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+288) 9 years ago
Does Russell still have a thick head of dark hair?

Compared to some other siblings, yes!
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 9 years ago
I'd recommend Henry's Catsup. http://www.henryscatsup.com/

They sell it at Reynold's. It is just like grandma used to make.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1904) 9 years ago
Sorry. You've been chopped.