Alternative to Burns & Tester
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 15 years ago
Good news! There is an alternative to Burns & Tester. His name is Stan Jones. You can become an educated voter by clicking on the following link: http://mtlp.org/jones/issues_index.html

Suppose that you were imprisoned and you had a 52% chance of dying by lethal injection, of 47% chance of dying by the electric chair, or 5% chance of escape. Would you willingly be poisoned or fried?

Yet, that is exactly the scenario with the current election. Most Americans are currently in the process figuring out how they wanted to "die", politically speaking rather than considering the alternative of escape.

It seems to me that we would be better served by voting for candidates that best represents our convictions, rather than voting for one of the two "mainstream" candidate whom we think we'll win election.

The best definition of stupidity I have ever heard is "doing what you've always done, expecting a different result."

The election ought to be about voting for our convictions, not for the candidates that we think will win.

If we want change (which we desperately need) in this country, we are gonna have to start voting for ideas and candidate's who are "outside the box". It's the only way we are ever gonna get the Republican and Democrats attention.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 10/1/2006).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 15 years ago
From all that I've ever heard, Stan is a really nice guy. And as far as the color issue goes, I don't think it plays much of a role in Montana politics in this day and age.

"Candidate Has Blue Skin From Silver Supplement"
BILLINGS GAZETTE
October 2, 2002
http://www.billingsgazett...e-skin.inc

"True-Blue Bids For Senate"
BBC NEWS
3 October, 2002
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/h...297471.stm

"Argyria and Stan Jones - The Blue Montana Senator Candidate with Argyria"
http://www.silvermedicine...gyria.html

Photos of Stan
http://www.room17.com/lji...didate.jpg
http://www.amber.org/~lal...njones.jpg
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 15 years ago
The dead guy's running again? That's awesome.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17335) 15 years ago
The whole reason why he turned blue is such a fantastic tale of right-wing paranoia, you would have to be a total numbskull to vote for Stan because he represents your "values". Unless, of course, you identify with the lunatic right wing fringe.

I do agree with Richard, however, that the whole 2-party needs to be scrapped. No other nation in the world has such a system (instead, coalitions are made by parties of common interest). Our founders did not envision this factionalism.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 15 years ago
Richard - what's your take on this: http://www.cato-unbound.o...-democrat/?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 15 years ago
That's a good article. He is undoubtedly right that the Republicans have utterly failed their constituents who believe in small government, state's rights, and fiscal responsibility:

President Bush has presided over the largest overall increase in inflation-adjusted federal spending since Lyndon B. Johnson. Even after excluding spending on defense and homeland security, Bush is still the biggest-spending president in 30 years. His 2006 budget doesn't cut enough spending to change his place in history, either.

The bolded sentence along with the patriot act are the chief issues that have led to my personal disillusionment with the Republican party. At a time when the country is dealing with massive expenses from the war and a major natural disaster, the government is shipping pork at a record pace. I am far from convinced though, that the thing to do for those with libertarian sensibilities is to vote Democrat. Sure they might back up libertarians on things like the patriot act and various lifestyle issues, but I live within 45 min of San Francisco and Berkeley and these guys are all about banning everything they don't approve of, from gun ownership, to cigarette smoking, to property rights to anything to do with the military. These guys aren't libertarians, and voting for them is just bringing in mountain lions to protect you from the wolves. It seems that people don't mind giving up their civil liberties as long as it's *their* political party that's taking them away.

I voted for a 3rd party in the last election, and will likely do so in the next election as well. Voting for the lesser of two evils that you think has a chance of winning only serves to reinforce the status quo. If I lived in Montana, Stan Jones would have my vote, for all the good it would do.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (edited 10/3/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 15 years ago
Bridgier: Interesting article.

Clearly, there are several "denominations" of democrats. Unfortunately, they all tend to get lumped together. Here in the west there is a growing coalition of democrats, typified by the Governors of MT,WY, and NM that I believe are distinct from the Ted Kennedy's and John Kerry's and move-on.org's of the world. They are "common-sense" individuals who cherish both personal freedom and responsibility. They believe in fiscal responsibility and are not afraid to cut taxes. Hopefully, this wing of the democratic party will grow.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 15 years ago
Colloid silver! Away!
Posted by donlarose (+26) 15 years ago
DON'T WE GET ENOUGH ON TV WITHOUT HAVING A POSTING HERE AS WELL.
IF THIS GUY WANTS TO VIE FOR VOTES, LET HIM PAY FOR IT LIKE THE OTHERS DO!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 15 years ago
--Richard Bonine, Jr wrote:
>>Here in the west there is a growing coalition of democrats, typified by the Governors of MT,WY, and NM . . .

There was a pretty good article in last Sunday's New York Times that addressed the Democrats' resurgence in Montana and to some extent in the West. If you're not a fan of Brian & Jag, just skip the first four paragraphs - - after that, the article presents a pretty good description the changes the Party in Montana (and the West) is undergoing.

"The Big-Sky Dem"
By Mark Sundeen
NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE
October 8, 2006
http://www.nytimes.com/20...ernor.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Myself, I think that Sundeen fails to address what's taking place at the grassroots level in Montana (and in other western states).

From what I can tell (in Montana anyway) it's the grassroots revival that's been one of the keys to these changes. Basically it just involves folks at the county level deciding that it's time for a change and deciding to do something about it. When the action is initiated at that level, it can't help but give things a "local flavor" (and by extension a "regional flavor").

Interestingly enough, from what I hear it sounds as if this new Western movement is serving (to some extent) as model for a Democratic revival in the South (especially in Mississippi and Alabama).

There's kind of a tug of war going on within the Party right now - whether to continue with a national strategy of only targeting the "key states" that has guided the Party during the recent past, or to pursue what some are calling a 50-State Strategy. The 50-State Strategy seems to meshes well with what's going on in the West (and possibly the South). The next two, maybe three, election cycles will probably determine which strategy prevails.

As far as Montana's Populists traditions go, Mark Sundeen is right about that. Populism has solid roots in the State.

Thomas Clinch, who used to teach at Carroll College, did a good job of exploring one example of Montana's flirtations with Populism. This episode from the 1890s is a good one to look at as it involved Republicans, Democrats, and 3rd Parties coming together under a Populist banner to promote local and regional issues.

I see that Clinch's book is available at the Miles City library if anyone is interested:

Clinch, Thomas A, b. 1927. URBAN POPULISM AND FREE SILVER IN MONTANA: A NARRATIVE OF IDEOLOGY IN POLITICAL ACTION (Missoula: University Of Montana Press, 1970).