Kafe Utza
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 9 years ago
Noticed in the Star tonight that Kafe Utza is for sale. I am surprised.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17335) 9 years ago
With Butch being elected, why would you be surprised?

Think "Potterville".
Posted by Michael A. Preller (+64) 9 years ago
Well maybe Great grains will expand...
Posted by matt oyen (+483) 9 years ago
they have the BEST irish coffee and scones, EVER!!!
Posted by Michelle Miller (+28) 9 years ago
I was very disappointed to see this too!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 9 years ago
What?! Where will I get my hipster fix when I come visit? This is a very sad day.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 9 years ago
There is much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments here in Miles City. It may be because Kara is getting married and maybe wants a life and a family outside of her wonderful little shop.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 9 years ago
Is "hipster fix" really the words you want to use?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/26/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 9 years ago
Good luck Kara and all of the Stewarts, no matter which path you choose. Where ever you go and where ever you are, you will create something very unique and contribute something very special.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3677) 9 years ago
Adieu, mon amis. Bonne chance.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 9 years ago
I would love to move back and take over her store if I could. Years ago my parents hand a newsstand in that spot.
Posted by Vanessa (+15) 9 years ago
congrats to Kara went to school with her and was so happy to see her come back and open her own store, sad to see it go..I hope she and the family have the best luck in the future..WHo is she engaged to, Is he from here?
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1438) 9 years ago
Kacey, sorry - not to pry if you were being unspecific for a reason but may I ask what the newstand was? I *think* I remember News Nook being there (bought a LOT of stuff from that place, let me tell you!), then my recollections get hazy... a surplus store, another book store, and then fast-forward to coffee shop.

I'm always trying to feed my memory and nostalgia.

EDIT: Oh, and I should say I'm sorry to see Cafe Utza go, too. I was only there once (my first coffee upon returning to Miles City after being away for years). Always sad to see any business go but I hope it's good news for the person and the path they're following.

[This message has been edited by Dan Mowry (1/28/2012)]
My parents started the first newsstand in that location. It was called A&B News. They later sold it to Lenard Benasky.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17062) 9 years ago
Apparently that building was originally built in the 1930's to house a shoe repair shop.

Kacey, any idea what timeframe your parents operated the newsstand? I mostly remember it as "Benasky's Newsstand". I bought a lot of comic books there.

EDIT: Oh, I also remember buying "penny" candy there -- chocolate footballs in particular. My dad would go in there to buy cigars and my brother, Don, and I would tag along. Being the mid-70's, Don and I both had pretty long hair (not that long, but long by the standard of our parents' generation). Like clockwork, Mr. Benasky would comment to my dad, "Oh, I see you brought your girls along with you." If I recall correctly he also handed out free Dum Dum suckers to us kids.

[This message has been edited by David Schott (1/28/2012)]
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1195) 9 years ago
Dan
That's what happens when you get old. Hazy memories! And you must remember that you are getting up there in years. You're not as young as you might think and your body will let you know what you can and can't do, mostly what you can't do anymore.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1438) 9 years ago
Stan, I think I'm going to have a rubber band effect. I'll keep denying my age until one day I suddenly have a mental breakdown and go from "Youthful and vital" to "How the heck did I get old overnight?!" It won't be pretty... there'll probably be gold necklaces and a Porsche convertible involved as a coping mechanism.

Kacey, Dave, I remember the Benasky's Books! I think A&B might have been a little before I was loading up on comics. I recall the chocolate football candies, ha ha!

Shoe repair building, huh? That's great. Man, those were the days when people actually repaired shoes instead of buying cheap replacements at Walmart. I refuse to let those days go.
Dave,
My parents bought the building and turned it into a newsstand in the late 60s. It's kind of foggy for me as my grandparents died within 6 months of each other while my family had the newsstand. They died in 1968 and 1969.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+134) 9 years ago
It was the NewsNook at least from 1979-1982, the years I went to high school there. It was owned by my cousin, Cindy Field, who bought it from Benaskys. My mom worked there and I worked there sometimes on weekends. Actually there was more reading and eating candy than work on my end of it
Posted by mule train (+1056) 9 years ago
future home of starbucks?