Driver's who don't stop for pedestrians...
Posted by Rob Willy (+43) 10 years ago
...are starting to piss me off. I was driving down main street by the courthouse today and stopped at the crosswalk for a person to cross the street. At least six cars on the other side of the street, including a police officer, passed right on by without stopping.

I've also had to wait for as many as 10 cars that wouldn't yield, to cross the street at a crosswalk on Main. Again, one of them was MCPD. I'm just surprised that this kind of courtesy and road rule is so disregarded.
Posted by Patty O. (+225) 10 years ago
How about children waiting at cross walks? I stop and wait and count the cars that continue on without any reguards to the child/childrens safety.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15075) 10 years ago
And thus begins a new installment of "I drive better than you do".
Posted by brittany_95 (+344) 10 years ago
Well on the corner of main near Big Sky is the worst when it comes to yielding. You pretty much have to sprint across the CROSSWALK just to get across..
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11885) 10 years ago
Big Sky has a light. You should be crossing when the cars are stopped.

My hint? Take a few steps off the curb and look at the car. It usually gets the message across, unless the driver is on the phone. If you are still on the curb, you may not actually BE crossing. We've stopped for pedestrians on the corner and they stare at us as if we have lost our minds because they were just standing there, with no plan to cross the street. So I make my intentions clear.

And if I get hit, Steve has a lovely lawsuit on his hands.
Posted by Monica LN (+142) 10 years ago
Oh well considering Richard's remark I have to get in on this! Just kidding, I know I am a good driver
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15075) 10 years ago
We've stopped for pedestrians on the corner and they stare at us as if we have lost our minds because they were just standing there, with no plan to cross the street.

Deciding whether you want to go to the Bison or the Range Riders sometimes requires some intense deliberation.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17660) 10 years ago
+1 to what Amorette posted.

I get real tired stopping for pedestrians, who then give you the deer-in-the-headlights stare and try to wave you on. Step off the curb if you are ready to go.

As a pedestrian, I generally just walk out without bothering to look at the oncoming car, knowing that I (a) have the right of way; and (b) know a real smart attorney. Do not try this at home. A man of my size can get away with it because my body will total most vehicles that hit me.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2311) 10 years ago
Gunnar, I needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks!

And I have the same problem. Even with people IN THE STREET, they will stop and wave me past! Even if I refuse to move, they still just stand in the middle of the street and wait. I think it may be a good idea to carry a copy of the Laws of the Road with me, just so I can throw a book at whomever is stupid.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by atomicg (+1009) 10 years ago
In Missoula it's like unwritten code among the town that you always stop for a pedestrian at a crosswalk. If you don't the stares are so cold from everyone watching that you're engine is likely to stall.

Pedestrians always have the right of way and the more locals who stop and wait the more examples are set for all the out of town workers who are around. It needs to be obvious that stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks is expected of all drivers.

I am just as guilty as any of you and sometimes don't notice someone waiting soon enough to slow down. I'll try to make a better effort though.
Posted by Mike Willson (+197) 10 years ago
It is actuaully required by law that if Pedestrian is at crosswalk you have to stop!!! I would do this is my semi when driveing truck and PIUSS ALOT OF PEOPLE OFF!! Same as pulling aside for SIRENS!!!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 10 years ago
I think it may be a good idea to carry a copy of the Laws of the Road with me, just so I can throw a book at whomever is stupid.

~Sent from Josh's Mobile while driving.

Posted by mcs (+402) 10 years ago
stopping for a pedestrian is not an 'unwritten code' anywhere. it's the law!

[This message has been edited by mcs (1/26/2012)]
Posted by hat_3275 (+70) 10 years ago
I HATE when that happens!!!!