Posted by Jay Logsdon (+42) 16 years ago
Walking path for dykes

1. When- Time? Oct. 28th and 29th
2. Where- Dyke system, beginning around golf course (Spotted Eagle?), extending up to fisheries and perhaps a little beyond, depending on which private owners allow us to do our work.
3. Who- City, John Marks, City Planner, Lloyd Devies, City Engineer, 4H? Anyone else? This is your chance to make Miles City a nicer place to live!
4. Needed- volunteers, a plan, timing for each section, permission for private areas, Lloyd Devies can provide garbage bags, trash pick up, vehicles, and training. Training can be done wherever, he just needs to know a week or so ahead of time.
5. Why- Improve quality of life, remove pollution. Also, if the dyke area slowly became a walking trail rather than an area for 4-wheelers, it would fight the erosion being caused by the vehicles that could one day prove a disaster were there ever a flood.
6. What- Clean up the dyke system by removing trash. Create a walking path leading from golf course (Spotted Eagle?) through the Dykes to Fisheries area, stop erosion from 4 wheelers eventually.

Any takers?
874-6200
Jay Logsdon
AmeriCorps*VISTA

[This message has been edited by Jay Logsdon (edited 9/18/2006).]
Posted by MCGirl (+300) 16 years ago
Totally not what I thought this topic was about.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9469) 16 years ago
I thought it was a memorial to Larry the Video guy....
Posted by deer_slayer (+488) 16 years ago
lol
Ha ha everyone. I looked this up before I started writing about it because where I'm from dike always referred to lesbians. Dyke looks old English to me. www.dictionary.com says they're the same. But evidently here in Montana it's dike for your rivers, so I guess I'll have to repost before this gets overrun with confused comments.

Sorry!
supporter
Hopefully the dikes get cleaned up lickety split. It's really terrible how dirty they've gotten.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 16 years ago
>>Clean up the dyke system by removing trash

Does this include picking up the dead shad, shiners, carp, etc. that fishermen toss up on the bank? I hope so. There is nothing worse than a dyke that smells like rotten fish.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 16 years ago
I seriously thought you were speaking about a private person who needed to clean something up! Maybe you can get the webmaster to change your heading for the correct spelling. Sounds like a good idea though. There is lots of nice land to be enjoyed if it were just cleaned up a bit.
Posted by Keli A. (+105) 16 years ago
Oh wow... we obviously don't have much else to do than be wisecracks!! You guys make my day when you take things as seriously as I do.
supporter
I'm not sure what you're talking about Keli - the problem of dykes that aren't as clean as they should be, and the corresponding ways in which they can be cleaned is something that I have been interested in for many years now.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (edited 9/18/2006).]
Posted by GVC (+517) 16 years ago
Jay,

On behalf of all current and former Miles City residents, I am expressing regret for the grief you are getting on this web site.

I would say however that should the dikes get cleaned up, and a walking trail or park is created, please don't name the resulting facility the "Miles City Dikes".

Thank you for your continuing efforts to clean up the dikes.
Posted by Keli A. (+105) 16 years ago
What I am talking about is how the spelling of one word can make such a good topic go a little ary with other people making little wisecracks about the meaning of that word and giving some humor to the whole thing!
Posted by Mr. Natural (+67) 16 years ago
I'm all for cleaning up the dykes, but we have such big dykes that it will take alot of cleaning to get our dykes satisfactory. Nothing's worse than a dirty dyke though.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Natural (edited 9/19/2006).]
Posted by Patty O. (+222) 16 years ago
This is a good response to the "Quality of Life" issue the Mayor is talking about. Making Miles City a cleaner place developing and area where we as a community could go and take advantage of. But like always someone has to twist and turn the meaning around. Which inturn makes alot of Miles Citians and Miles City look foolish.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 16 years ago
More people might be interested if you started at the other end of the dike rather than along the golf course. It's a preception of where/who needs a little help...let's see, golf course/North side; golf course/North side....I think North side of town needs more cleaning up.
Posted by Michael A. Preller (+66) 16 years ago
So Chad,

What say you? You should look into getting involved. You could be the point man and start up the North Side Dike Clean up project. With your background (mechanical abilities, enthusiam and education) you would be a dynamic person to "get the ball rolling".

I am "getting my hands dirty" so to speak with helping out those who are less fortunate per se. Which we could use many more people who would be interested in helping (Widows/Single Mothers/Elderly etc.)

If more of those who seem to have so much imput on this site would take "Positive actios" instead of verbal jabs...., wow we would make a difference.

Besides, one who takes action is a partner of positve change, and has ownership of their community. It's our responsibility to serve our fellow man. The opportunities to serve your community are endless.
Posted by Chris Choate Raible (+35) 16 years ago
I like your style Mike!! I have been really enjoying reading the stuff going on in MC. How are you? I hope life is treating you well. I'm still hard at work here in Phoenix.

Take Care,
Chris Choate Raible
I like the North side idea. Anyone who would seriously like to help out and plan this I encourage to call me at my office. At this point of course the whole thing basically needs to be solidified next week so people who have property along the dikes can be informed that we're coming.

Jay Logsdon
AmeriCorps*VISTA
874-6200
Posted by Senior Volunteer Program (+12) 16 years ago
Jay, this sounds like a project RSVP members could help with. I know of several who would like a well cared-for place to walk where the surface was flat. Sounds like clean up is the first step. We (RSVP) will help you. Perhaps RSVP members can take a specific section of the path and work up or down from there. Keep in touch. And--Bravo!
Della Howell, RSVP Director

[This message has been edited by Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (edited 9/22/2006).]

[This message has been edited by Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (edited 9/22/2006).]