Discontinue Account
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9978) 9 years ago
So I get this e-mail from City Hall stating "The new Mayor Chris Grenz wishes to discontinue this account with you". (Referring to the "Mayor <[email protected]>" user account here.)

I'm thinking, ookkaay ... what exactly am I supposed to do about that? So I reply and ask, but get this back:

MailEnable: Message could not be delivered to some recipients.
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Recipient: [SMTP:[email protected]]
Reason: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.

I guess that's progress for you.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16445) 9 years ago
Ha ha. And so it begins.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4948) 9 years ago
What an ass that man must be...Guess he won't be providing citizens information thru that account the way Joe used to do...Figures...Keep em in the dark LOL...Nothing like starting out with such a backward move....

[This message has been edited by howdy (1/4/2012)]
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2608) 9 years ago
I think the correct email address for the mayor's office is

mayor(AT)milescity-mt.org

Drop mc
Posted by Kmama (+109) 9 years ago
David and howdy yall are starting to grow on me
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+254) 9 years ago
Okay, give my HS peer a break. Maybe he is not yet up to snuff electronically, on social media, etc. I know a few others in that position.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14662) 9 years ago
Okay, give my HS peer a break. Maybe he is not yet up to snuff electronically, on social media, etc. I know a few others in that position.

Bullpoop! How in the world are you going to lead a city into the future if you can't master the basics of email communication? It's not like we are asking him to do "Recursive Common Table Expressions". In this day and age, if you aren't capable/refuse to communicate with the public electronically, you are not qualified to serve and you are a hindrance to progress.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (1/4/2012)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4948) 9 years ago
+5 Richard!!!
admin
founder
Kelly wrote:
I think the correct email address for the mayor's office is

mayor(AT)milescity-mt.org

Drop mc

No, [email protected] was the address.

It just seems kind of strange that one of the first items on the agenda was to have City Hall send a notice to MilesCity.com informing that the Mayor wishes to "discontinue" an account here.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2736) 9 years ago
Well, a good leader has clearly defined goals and priorities. Now we know what is important to Mayor Grenz, and what'snot.

(and no, that isn't a typo)
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2736) 9 years ago
Oh, and I take Howdy's +5 bid on Richard's comment, and raise it another +5.

Hey Grenz and Ahner fans -- enjoy that ride back in time to a happier place that didn't exist then, doesn't exist now, and - thanks to you - has absolutely no chance of existing in the future.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 9 years ago
Maybe he was concerned that Joe still controlled that account and would try to use it to impersonate him on this board? I doubt that he would do that but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable precaution to me.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2608) 9 years ago
No, mayormc(AT)milescity-mt.org was the address.

What I was saying was that at one time I sent an email to the address containing mc. It was returned at undeliverable. I contacted city hall and they said due to a new email system at city hall, the mayor's email was now mayor(AT)milescity-mt.org.

To test this out again, I sent an email to the address containing the mc, and this is what I got back.....

The attached message could not be delivered to the recipients listed below.

The original message was rejected at Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:19:59 +0000

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <[email protected]>
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6596 ff10si39123684igc.70
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16445) 9 years ago
Levi Forman wrote:
"Maybe he was concerned that Joe still controlled that account and would try to use it to impersonate him on this board? I doubt that he would do that but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable precaution to me."

If Mayor Grenz was concerned about the "Mayor" milescity.com forums account the proper procedure would be to request the password for the account from the outgoing mayor then promptly change the password on the account so it is secured by the current mayor.

If Mayor Grenz wished to change the email account for the mayor's office the proper thing to do would be to set up an auto reply on the old account directing people to the new email address. He could also forward messages from the old account to the new account.

This isn't difficult stuff. It's "office management 101" for the modern era.
admin
founder
Levi Forman wrote:
Maybe he was concerned that Joe still controlled that account and would try to use it to impersonate him on this board? I doubt that he would do that but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable precaution to me.

He could just change the password. As far as I know, Joe left it for the City to use. I would be more concerned with someone using that account to edit or delete archived content. As is, the e-mail I received specifically requested me to delete the account.

Kelly wrote:
What I was saying was that at one time I sent an email to the address containing mc. It was returned at undeliverable. I contacted city hall and they said due to a new email system at city hall, the mayor's email was now mayor(AT)milescity-mt.org.

Thanks, I e-mailed the other address asking for clarification.
Posted by S&W (+16) 9 years ago
...and maybe just maybe he decided that conversing on a site like milescity.com was not the best professional move to make..especially when the majority of conversations are rag tag and gossip fueled
admin
founder
Then maybe just maybe he shouldn't be a public figure / politician.

Look, the account was created by a City employee (the previous Mayor) to communicate with the citizens he represented. If the current Mayor doesn't want to do that, fine. I don't care. That's not my problem.

I was just commenting on how I found it strange that on the first full day of office, the Mayor apparently placed a priority on having a City employee spend time and tax dollars sending a notice to me that he wants the account deleted.

I attempted to reply back for clarification and to discuss the issue privately, but the message bounced back as undeliverable. I tried the other e-mail address that Kelly provided, and while it went somewhere, I never received a reply.

The issue I was going to point out to him, is that I cannot delete an account without deleting all of the past content associated with it, and I'm not going to do that. So I wanted to know exactly what he wanted to accomplish and what he wanted me to do.

There is also no reason to delete an account if you don't want to use it. Just don't use it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If he's concerned that Joe is going to use the account in an unauthorized fashion, just change the password or request that it be changed. Sheesh.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14662) 9 years ago
...and maybe just maybe he decided that conversing on a site like milescity.com was not the best professional move to make..especially when the majority of conversations are rag tag and gossip fueled

Ummm... properly used, the account has the potential to dispel gossip and rumor.
Posted by S&W (+16) 9 years ago
I find it quite humorous that when an opinion/hypothesis expressed on this thread is met with a sarcastic roll of the eyes by the webmaster, when it obviously does not agree with his "take" on the situation. Far be it from me to say, but the norm for a webmaster account is for administration purposes of the site itself and to help keep the members informed of necessary notifications. Not to reply with facetious tones. There are members on here of all beliefs and mindsets and all should be given a certain modicum of respect!

First off, my original comment was not directed at the webmaster's statement that he had a request to delete an account by the mayor or a undeliverable reply when trying to respond to the request.

I do not believe that if the current mayor does not desire to communicate on a site such as milescity.com, statements such as "Then maybe just maybe he shouldn't be a public figure / politician.", even apply.

I understand frustration can be met, but when you are not able to get a response via email picking up the phone and simply making a call is still always an option.
Posted by cowboy's wife (+205) 8 years ago
How can i discontinue my account??
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9978) 8 years ago
Like that.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3132) 8 years ago
Maybe if no one comments (sorry) it will just slide into the archives...never to be seen again. And..then, if you don't start a thread...I would think that you would be fine. Good luck. Sorry that people attacked..you have a beautiful dog.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16445) 8 years ago
I'm surprised her screen name wasn't "mayor's wife".
Posted by neonfreedom (+294) 8 years ago
really come on now have some class you dont think shes been attacked enough her fault or not,DONT KICK A HORSE WHILE ITS DOWN.just leave her alone,she cant comment any more to stand up for her self...omg how sad
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16445) 8 years ago
"DONT KICK A HORSE'S ASS WHILE IT'S DOWN"

There. Fixed it for you.
Posted by neonfreedom (+294) 8 years ago
WOW
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9978) 8 years ago
Take it to another thread.