Three youngsters died in MC today.Why?
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1142) 8 years ago
Stevenson and sons has listed the deaths of three young kids from Miles City today (Dec 19) Anyone know why?
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+435) 8 years ago
Our UPS delivery driver (from MC) told me that there were 4 kids in a car, they decided to bypass a barricade and try to jump over a gap in the road where a bridge was missing, and crashed into the riverbed. Everyone in the car except the driver was killed.

If any of this is incorrect I will be happy to edit this post, but this is what Shawn the UPS driver told me earlier today.

The people of MC are in my thoughts and prayers today. What a tragic thing.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14799) 8 years ago
It's in the Miles City Star.

The driver of a Plymouth Breeze reportedly bypassed a detour sign on Sheffield Road and drove into Sand Creek (where the bridge was out). One occupant is in a Billings hospital. Three other occupants did not survive.

[This message has been edited by David Schott (12/19/2011)]
supporter
Posted by montanadoc (+8) 8 years ago
I would just like to put it out there. That the one sign they had out there was a joke. Also that there was no previous signs warning of the detour. Also with the wind we had last night it is very possible that the wind blew the sign down. After the detour sign it is less then an 1/8 of a mile before the bridge. I think you can blame the county more then driver. Prayers to all the families affected.

[This message has been edited by montanadoc (12/19/2011)]
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+480) 8 years ago
I feel terrible for the 3 families' loss. This is a tragic loss for the community as well-these kids were in the prime of their lives. Wishes for peaces and strength and prayers go out to their friends, families and loved ones!
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2536) 8 years ago
Why on earth would anyone want to play the blame game right now? Shame on you for even trying to blame the county for this.
founder
"montanadoc", is the road where the crash occurred designated as "Montana Secondary Highway 446"? If so, the State of Montana may be the one losing sleep over poor signage, not Rosebud County.

"Sheffield Road" from Miles City appears to turn into "Cartersville Road" which appears to also be designated as "Montana Secondary Highway 446" between Forsyth and Hathaway.

Is the road paved in the area where the crash occurred?
Posted by Merry DeAnda (+1426) 8 years ago
Our Prayers are with the families.
Posted by Grim Reaper (+77) 8 years ago
A wreck in the early hours of the morning. I seriously doubt that the sign was to blame.
Posted by ellie may (+474) 8 years ago
i know one of the young kids personally. gona miss his smiling face and joking ways. just seen him on sat having a ball laughing and carrying on. truly a sad tragic accident. please keep all the families in your prayers as they are struggling right now.
Posted by watev (+6) 8 years ago
It is a tragic loss to lose these young kids but to blame the county is wrong. I drive that road everyday and the road is blocked with a detour sign. The only gap is for the people who live past the block. It is a tragidy not an exceuss to blame Rosebud County. My prayers go out to all the families of the kids involed.
Posted by Leah Burkhart (+19) 8 years ago
While I understand there are many factors here, poor signage may have been one large contributor. God Strengthen the families, and the community. We lost a lot today.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 8 years ago
We don't know what the factors are. Why don't we hold off on the speculation and leave the judgement to the judges?

Very sad story, my condolences to the families.
Posted by montanadoc (+8) 8 years ago
I was responding to Forysth Mike. I highly doubt they were trying to jump the bridge. Everyone always blames the driver,I just wanted to make sure people knew about the poor warnings and probability that those kids didn't even know about the bridge. It said in the news that they ran a barricade,it said nothing about the fact that the barricade was on the oncoming traffic lane not the lane u drive in.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14239) 8 years ago
We don't know what the factors are. Why don't we hold off on the speculation and leave the judgement to the judges?

AMEN! I agree with Levi.

It is stunning how fast the stupid rumor mill works in . I was told all sorts of speculation last night. Let's wait for the professionals to do their job and tell us what happened in this tragic situation.

My thoughts and condolences go out to all of the families affected.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Terran (+6) 8 years ago
Sheffield road isn't even driven on much, and its possible the sign blew down? Goodness create some drama don't say something you don't know for sure plain and simple you're stirring up poop to smell it then
founder
This makes at least 3 people now who were inspired to create a new anonymous account to comment on this tragic event. Why are people afraid to comment using their real name?
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+485) 8 years ago
A tragedy for sure, but I agree w/ the grimreaper.I'm guessing
alcohol and speed will be involved.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2311) 8 years ago
I think everyone needs to zip their lips before making accusations. No matter what caused it, it happened. Families and friends do not need to see people arguing over whether they were sober or not, the barricade was poorly placed, whatever. Just drop it, and show some respect.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 8 years ago
Everything Josh just said.
Posted by Skye (+375) 8 years ago
Thank you josh!
If you don't like other's comments, don't read them. This is a public forum.
Posted by MeganLynn (+135) 8 years ago
I was just on that road on Saturday because my parents live 12 miles out of Sheffield from Miles City. I was coming home from Billings so I decided to take the back road so I could return my mom's car and pick mine up. I had no idea that they were working on the bridge. I thought they were just doing side road work, so I went past the signs. I drove slowly and came up to it and shook my head and turned around. The signs are placed just fine and I highly doubt they would blow over. We all know Montana weather, including the state, so they would know to put signs up that could handle any weather. This was a tragic accident and the boys will be dearly missed. We don't need to argue in the situation. It's an insult to them. RIP boys, you will be greatly missed.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14239) 8 years ago
If you don't like other's comments, don't read them. This is a public forum.

Yes... it is a public forum... and your rights end where someone else's begin. In light of the situation, please show proper decorum for a public forum.
Posted by kathym (+12) 8 years ago
It is very sad and tragic may God be with the families of the boys at their time of loss.

Bad enough it is Christmas time, but to see things like all this blame and finger pointing is wrong, let the boys lay to rest and the families grieve without all this mess of MC gossip.
I do agree Richard, but I don't think that anyone has been disrespected on this thread. Discussing the possibility of how a wreck occured is far from disrespectful. That is what i was trying to get at.
supporter
Rosebud County Coroner identifies 3 young men killed in crash
Posted: Dec 20, 2011 11:16 AM by Q2 Staff
Updated: Dec 20, 2011 11:16 AM

BILLINGS - The names of three young men killed after their vehicle plummeted 50 feet down a ravine and into a Rosebud County creek have been released.

Rosebud County Coroner Sgt. Allen Fulton says 21-year-old Kiever Rogers, 19-year-old Lance Nass and 20-year-old Christopher Gulden were all killed in the crash. He did not release an offical cause of death.

One person survived the crash. Sgt. Fulton says as of Monday night, 24-year-old Matthew Bustle was undergoing surgery at a Billings hospital. A St. Vincent Healthcare spokesperson says as of Tuesday morning, Bustle is listed in fair condition.

All four men are from the Miles City area.

The crash remains under investigation by the Montana Highway Patrol and Rosebud County Sheriff's Office.

On Monday morning, a local resident spotted a vehicle off Sheffield Road submerged in a creek. Rosebud County Undersheriff Arlan Thingvold says the Sand Creek bridge, between Rosebud and Miles City, is in the process of being rebuilt.The driver, he says, apparently drove past the barricade and went off the cliff where the bridge used to be.

It is unknown what time the accident happened. It is also not known if alcohol and speed are possible factors.
supporter
Coroner names 3 killed in Rosebud County crash
Gazette Staff | Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:18 am

Three men killed after driving off the road and into a creek in Rosebud County have been identified.

Rosebud County Coroner Allen Fulton identified the men as Kiever Rogers, 21; Lance Nass, 19; and Christopher Gulden, 20, all of Miles City.
The three were with Matthew Bustle, 24, who survived the crash and remains in a Billings hospital. Bustle was undergoing surgery, Fulton said.

It is unknown who was driving.

Montana Highway Patrol disptachers said the four were riding in a 1999 Plymouth Breeze eastbound on Route 446 near Rosebud at about 2:30 a.m. on Monday.

The men drove around a road-closed detour and into a construction zone where a bridge was out.

The vehicle fell down into a creek bed and came to rest on its roof.
The crash was reported at 8 a.m. Monday by a person driving by on the way to school. All four men were still inside the vehicle when they were found.

Fulton would not specify whether the men died from injuries from the crash or from being in the water. Autopsies have been performed, he said.
The crash is still being investigated.
Posted by Brian W (+113) 8 years ago
who cares what happend and why it is a tragic loss of life and every one should take into consideration the families involved and put out their sympathy to the families who lost loved ones. My sympathy goes out to all the families. I knew one of the kids involve. And I am using my real name not hiding behind a false one.
Posted by Erin Crow (+16) 8 years ago
I know two of the boy's moms...and knew one of the boys personally. Really people? WHO CARES how the accident happened? The fact remains three young men lost their lives and countless lives have been changed forever. I have just as many questions as anyone else...but only 4 people know what happened that fateful morning and three of them can't tell us anymore. I have heard the speculations...drinking...speeding...yadda yadda yadda! My husband came home from work and told me what people are saying...my answer to him was the same. I am so sick of people thinking they 'know' what happened...or that this or that is to blame...have some common courtesy, respect and decency and let people relay their condolences at this time of tragic and immense loss. This community lost 3 of its members...and that is the only thing anyone should be considering.
I love you, Lavonne and Christina...my heart is breaking for you...may you feel the sense of comfort and peace that so many are sending on the wind to you...
founder
"who cares what happend and why..."

"WHO CARES how the accident happened?"

Emotions are raw and rightfully so. It's a terrible loss for so many and even people who did not know these guys feel awful. There is no question about that.

IF there is a safety issue with that missing bridge and the way it is signed and barricaded while under construction it would be further tragedy to ignore the situation.

Is there a standard highway construction safety protocol for signage and barricades when you have a bridge out situation like that? If it wasn't being followed previously it should be now.

Is it not possible or practical to barricade the roadway with sand barrels or a dirt berm set back from the creek?

You may say, "Oh, well at 2:30 in the morning these guys were drunk or tired and fell asleep." I say, perhaps, and what's going to keep someone else from doing the same thing?

If the safety of that construction site can be improved it should be done, don't you think? I certainly do.

And talking about this is not disrespectful. To NOT talk about this would be disrespectful. What have we learned from this tragedy? Nothing?
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2738) 8 years ago
What a sad loss of life and opportunity for three young men. What an unfathomably heavy load for parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters to carry. What pain and misery for one young man and his family. Four families and an entire community in mourning.

Except for few, that is. What in the world is with you people (Grim Reaper/CJ) who want to bicker and speculate and nearly take bets on who's to blame? By the way, Grim Reaper: Using that moniker in a thread about three young people being tragically killed is disgusting. Really, truly disgusting.

Kudos to Levi and Richard and others for restoring humanity back into this thread, and super kudos to Josh for calling certain folks on their insensitivity. You nailed it, Josh - and showed a maturity people much older than you obviously lack.

Note to David: I understand what you are saying, and I appreciate that you were asking for information rather than postulating causes. My gripe is with people who can't wait for those FACTS to come forth before they start jumping to conclusions and sharing their half-assed assumptions. The time for analysis and learning lessons is after the FACTS are in - not before.

The best purpose of something like MC.com in a tragedy like this - one that is intensely personal to a few families - is to provide the community with a medium to express sorrow and support for those families. All that speculation and blame-gaming only deepens the hurt of those who are already feeling the deepest kind of pain imaginable. And who in their right mind would want to do that?

There will be plenty of time to learn something from the tragedy, and hopefully other lives will be saved. It's already begun in a way. Patty O's "Wake Up Call" is the type of reflective action that builds a community up -- whereas gossip and petty speculation only tear a community down.

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (12/21/2011)]
Posted by Josh Rath (+2311) 8 years ago
This is a major wake up call to everyone who has known them for years. All the stupid poop we do as teenagers, it hits you hard when something happens, and it could have just as easily happened to you. Things like this make you stop and think about life, and how easy everything can be taken away in a moment.

Lance has been my best friend for years, and until the fax came through from Stevenson and Sons.. I refused to believe it. I know for the next few days, people won't hear from me much on air or in person. Because no matter what happens the next few days, anything I say or think about reminds me of something I did with my friend years ago. And you can only fake a happy voice & smile so much before you break down.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2738) 8 years ago
Deepest sympathy to you, Josh, and to every person who is feeling what you expressed so eloquently.
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+485) 8 years ago
I meant in no way to be disrespectful. I said it is a tragedy.
Whatever the cause I hope lessons will be learned and hopefully
help prevent further tragedies.
Posted by Melita (+334) 8 years ago
PLEASE TO ALL- AGREEING OR NOT- THIS WAS A VERY FATAL (AND NOT FORGIVING) ACCIDENT- I FEEL SOOOO MUCH FOR THE FAMILIES AND THEIR LOSSES INCLUDING WHOM WAS TO BLAME OR NOT FOR DRIVING! IT IS A VERY SAD OCCOURANCE ON ANYONES PART, ALTHOUGH, IT IS THE HOLIDAYS AND ME AND ALL OF MY FAMILY WISH THE DEPARTED THE BEST! SORRY FOR YOUR LOSSES ESPECIALLY AT THIS TIME OF YEAR. ALL THE BEST.
Posted by Rocky (+189) 8 years ago
My greatest heartfelt condolenses to the familes and friends that lost in this tragedy. My prayers will be with all of you!
Posted by loseinghope (+6) 8 years ago
I knew all of them personaly...it is a tragic thing...but i also live in rosebud...and the signs were completly up when my friend drove by them...and with it being in the mourning i doubt that they couldve missed it..especially since when they were driving they woudlve hit the signs...if they didnt see them...but they didnt its like they curved around them knowing they were there....I miss them...but no one will really no what happend...that tragic night of the the accident...
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+480) 8 years ago
Didn't the driver survive? I wonder if he remembers what happened?
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 8 years ago
A lot of times anyone with any kind of head injury has no memory of the accident...Hope the driver is at least doing OK...So sad about this and condolences to the families..
Posted by brittany_95 (+333) 8 years ago
Okay seriously can everyone just let this be and stop spreading rumors and making the families and friends think something happened when we have no idea. I'm really getting frustrated hearing about it. Lance was a great friend, Kiever and Chris will all be missed but no one knows. Matt only does and he's not going to tell.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 8 years ago
Quit pulling the thread back to the top, dumbsh*t