Are "pit bulls" bad dogs?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 10 years ago
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4288

The problem is the owner, not the dog.
Posted by brittany_95 (+333) 10 years ago
The dogs are really sweethearts! We've had quite a few over the years. Always the owner.. Makes me sad though to see people afraid because the dog only wants love and attention.
supporter
Posted by Simon Niece (+308) 10 years ago
There are no "bad dogs" unless they are made that way by people either on purpose or by ignorance. The article is more or less accurate in my opinion.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 10 years ago
Ditto
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 10 years ago
There are no "bad dogs"

Particularly if marinated correctly. I'm sure Gunnar has some suggestions.
Posted by amber m (+30) 10 years ago
I own a pit bull that is about to turn 11. He is great with kids other dogs and even lets our ferret crawl all over him. These dogs are highly misunderstood and blamed for ill mannered owners. I dont think ill ever own another breed.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17731) 10 years ago
Bridgier is correct. Many great recipes for pit bulls can be found in William Clark's 1810 bestselling cookbook, "Victuals and Vittles that the Men Were Particularily Fond Of" (of course, York did the ghostwriting and the actual development of the recipes).

Seriously, I would agree that a good dog owner can raise any breed of dog, but the breeds of dog that were bred for killing can go bad way quicker than other breeds.

I'm a pretty crappy dog owner. I don't like to lug them around on a leash, and I don't like to spend time training them. That's why I like border collies....they just do what you tell them to do. Very low maintenance.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2744) 10 years ago
My sister had an intact male pit bull, until he was stolen from her yard this time last year. His name is Boo and he is a marshmallow of a dog. If you'd give him a rawhide bone, he'd growl at you until you'd try to take it from him. Then he'd prance around with it. It was a great game to him. He was a very loving dog.

That being said, I know of many dogs of many different breeds, that were just born "bad." Dogs have brain chemistry too.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 10 years ago
Dogs, like people, are products of both biology and environment. Individual dogs are born with temperaments just as individual people are. But with dogs there is the added issue of breeds which have been bred for certain uses. Golden retrievers have been bred to want to play fetch until they pass out. Chihuahuas have not. This does not mean that there aren't retrieving chihuahuas out there; it's just more unlikely. Guard dogs have been bred with more aggressiveness and territorialism so that they can do their jobs. That doesn't mean there aren't wonderfully gentle dobermans out there. All breeds shouldn't be painted with a broad brush but there is something in what Gunnar says.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1808) 10 years ago
Just to make sure: When you say Gunnar may be correct, you're not referring to this particular part of his post, I hope.

Many great recipes for pit bulls can be found in William Clark's 1810 bestselling cookbook, "Victuals and Vittles that the Men Were Particularly Fond Of" (of course, York did the ghostwriting and the actual development of the recipes).

I also have seen several very lovable pit bulls, even ones that had been treated horribly by their owners. I also know of at least two golden retrievers in town I hope NEVER get out of their fence as I'm walking by with my dogs!

The number of surprise attacks on small children, some believe it happens because of the eye level contact perhaps seen as a challenge to the dog, is the reason I would caution anyone from owning one.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 10 years ago
Here's some info about dog bites. The problem is that when pit bulls bite, there is serious injury involved. While other breeds may bite more, they generally don't inflict the same severity of damage.

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog...rimer.html

A recent review of 82 dog bite cases at a level 1 trauma center where the breed of dog was identified concludes that attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Bini, John K. MD; Cohn, Stephen M. MD; Acosta, Shirley M. RN, BSN; McFarland, Marilyn J. RN, MS; Muir, Mark T. MD; Michalek, Joel E. PhD; for the TRISAT Clinical Trials Group, Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, Annals of Surgery (April 2011, Vol. 253, Issue 4, pp. 791-797).

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question.

Here's one vet's opinion about the most "bitey" dogs. Some researchers also think that dog bites by the small breeds such as chihuahua and dachshund are under-reported because they don't cause that much damage.

http://www.petplace.com/d...page1.aspx

My list of breeds most likely to bite include:

Chows

Shar Peis

Akitas

Presa Canario

Huskies

Jack Russell Terriers(also known as the Parsons Russell Terrier)

Pit Bulls - Most are very nice but when they do bite - the bites are bad.

The Centers for Disease Control studies dog bite incidents, including the types of dogs most likely to bite. The breeds that the CDC considers highest risk include:

Pit Bulls

Rottweilers

German Shepherds

Siberian Huskies

Alaskan Malamutes

Doberman pinschers

Chow-Chows

Great Danes

Saint Bernards

Akitas
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 10 years ago
Awe the Swedish Spoilweiler... now there is a dog that has never bitten anyone. It is the perfect dog.
Posted by Emily zhong (+9) 10 years ago
[deleted - spam]
[deleted - spam]
[deleted - spam]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 10 years ago
Just proving the Houston Texans are stupid like bad dog owners?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17731) 10 years ago
No, Buck, I think it proves that if you start a thread about dog recipes on the internet, a Korean is bound to show up.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 10 years ago
AAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+825) 10 years ago
There are no bad dogs - just bad owners. Unfortunately, the type of person who want to own a "bully breed" is exactly the type of person who shouldn't have a dog at all. I am totally opposed to breed specific legislation, because the brush is simply too broad. I have known pits, shepherds, and dobies that are mild as milk - I have also known chihuahuas, dachsunds, and Bichons that I would not touch with a 10-foot pole!

My dad was a veterinarian, and while helping in his clinic, the worst bite I ever had was from a dachsund - they are bred to hunt badgers, for Pete's sake!

While the "bully breeds" get the headlines, the bad owners could turn a Cocker Spaniel mean. No bad dogs - just bad owners.

[This message has been edited by Dona Stebbins (12/16/2011)]
Posted by nativemc (+908) 10 years ago
Here ya go Gunnar,
* Exported from MasterCook *

Stewed Dog (wedding style)

Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :3:00
Categories : Ethnic Lamb
Philippines

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 kg dog meat -- * see note
1 1/2 cups vinegar
60 peppercorns -- crushed
6 tablespoons salt
12 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/2 cup cooking oil
6 cups onion -- sliced
3 cups tomato sauce
10 cups boiling water
6 cups red pepper -- cut into strips
6 pieces bay leaf
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cups liver spread -- ** see note
1 whole fresh pineapple -- cut 1/2 inch thick

1. First, kill a medium sized dog, then burn off the fur over a hot fire.
2. Carefully remove the skin while still warm and set aside for later (may be
used in other recpies)
3. Cut meat into 1? cubes. Marinade meat in mixture of vinegar, peppercorn,
salt and garlic for 2 hours.
4. Fry meat in oil using a large wok over an open fire, then add onions and
chopped pineapple and suate until tender.
5. Pour in tomato sauce and boiling water, add green peper, bay leaf and
tobasco.
6. Cover and simmer over warm coals until meat is tender. Blend in liver spread
and cook for additional 5-7 minutes.

* you can substiture lamb for dog. The taste is similar, but not as pungent.
** smooth liver pate will do as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Suggested Wine: San Miguel Beer
Serving Ideas : Rice, naturally.

NOTES : During my wedding reception, my brother- in-law suggested we add to the
feast by having dog stew. Wanting to be part of the family, and having been
subjected to all sorts of socials tests already, I agreed. The result was...
well.. a lot better than I expected. In fact, it was great!

It was only later I found out that dog should *not* be served at weddings, as
it may make the bride and groom flight like dogs during the honeymoon. But what
the heck. It didn't seem to have that effect... at least not until a few year
later. :-)

For the faint of heart, you can always substitute lamb in place of next door's
rover, but the meat will not be as sweet or as rich in flavor.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 10 years ago
I always tell people that one of the biggest differences between America and Singapore was that, in America, we have breeds like Boxer, Retriever, Chihuahua, etc, while in Singapore they simply have Fryer and Roaster.