Your Thoughts on Private Animal Shelters In Town
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1822) 11 years ago
Of course most posts will be of the sarcastic or non-productive nature , but I'm hoping to hear some opinions both for and against the idea ~ especially if you actually live within the City limits.

The Mile City Public Safety Committee is studying a proposal that would allow a person to keep more than the now allotted 3 dogs on their property. Details haven't been ironed out ~ and there seem to be plenty of things to consider.

At their last meeting, it was also proposed they look into changing the law, and if it's possible to do so, that made the initial variance illegal to grant.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+505) 11 years ago
I've got no dog in this fight (har), and don't live within city limits so my opinion isn't valid anyway, but as a suggestion, I would want the applicant to have signed approval from all parties living within 300 yards. It would suck to have a pen full of yappers keeping you up at all hours of the night. And the smell of spring thaw could turn a few stomachs regardless of how careful the kennel is about cleanliness. If it affects my property value, ie making it unsell-able, I want to know about it.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2820) 11 years ago
With all of the animal hoarders in town, it will do nothing but open a can of worms.

Hey City Council Members! Are you going to increase funding for animal control if this goes through?

If people want a bunch of animals, even for fostering, they should move out of town and have proper facilities. First chickens, now dogs. A slippery slope indeed. I've always wanted to tend bees so I guess I'll just go ahead and set up hives in my back yard. It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (12/2/2011)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12389) 11 years ago
This is one of those I can see both sides of. I do think, as with chickens, there need to be very tight restrictions to protect the neighbors. Everyone starts out well-meaning but we know how far that can go.
Posted by BD (+332) 11 years ago
I believe we should have Private Animal Shelters in town, they can have rules that are checked by the dog catch to make sure things are done correctly. This would save the city a lot of money instead of putting them a sleep which can run the city a bill of $1000.00 a month. The ones bring this to the council have only asked to be allowed to have a limited amount of dogs or cats to help(6-8) only ones against this idea have brought up the fact of people hoarding animals. We need to change the ordinances like other cities in MT have done. It is a shame that we are not helping out our animal friends. Lets create a few Private Animal Shelters to do just that find homes for our lost dogs or cats.

[This message has been edited by BD (12/2/2011)]

[This message has been edited by BD (12/2/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+821) 11 years ago
Great Falls allows people with a special license to house more than the standard # of animals (2 cats -2dogs.) But the home must be inspected prior to issuing the license, and it must be renewed annually. Technically, these are not "shelters." The licensing may be revoked at any time the home is found to be in non-compliance with city regulations regarding the issuance of the special license.

"Private animal shelters" are not, in my opinion, a good solution, due to the hoarding issues many cities face. Recently, Great Falls removed 92 cats from a small trailer. Of these cats, 32 (mostly kittens and those with lowered immune systems) didn't survive. Of the 60 remaining, 30 or so were placed in adoptive homes. And the rest?

Animal issues will continue to plague our cities and towns until people assume the responsibility to spay and neuter ALL companion animals. For those of you who wish to have their children observe the "miracle of birth," I suggest you also expose them to the reality of euthanasia. For those of you who breed animals to sell, or as I call it "breed for greed," please stop. There are enough wonderful animals in shelters across the country, many of them purebreds, and they are available for adoption.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
This will end badly.
supporter
Posted by annie221 (+258) 11 years ago
Not very many dogs have been put down that come from the pound. East Main does a great job of finding animals homes (2009 adopted out 60 dogs and 84 cats//2010 36 dogs and 48 cats adopted//2011 to date 43 dogs and 42 cats have been adopted out through East Main))and does keep many of the cats there for a long time before they find forever homes. Yes a lot of the cats are put down, but what do you do when you get 45 feral cats in one week-yes, this did happen here! I have studied the records sent to the city for the cost of these animals and they charge a very nominal fee for this service ($12-$15 per animal depending upon the weight and species). This just barely covers the expense of supplies and time involved. They are not charged for board and food for the animals while they are in the clinic. East Main does this because Miles City vet does not want this contract with the city (MC Vet was asked just last year if they wanted to do this and they declined)--they are more a large animal vet and are busy with those services. Yes, Miles City Vet does treat small animals and has great vets. I take some of my animals there and feel very comfortable with the care they receive there. So I don't think that East Main is getting rich off of this contract. They are running a business and do deserve to make a profit just as any other business does. Also it is not easy to put down 45 cats and kittens in one week. No one wants to do that, but there are too many other healthy cats available that are not finding homes. East Main is providing a needed service for the town and does a wonderful job finding homes for as many animals as they can with only a few foster homes.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 11 years ago
If someone was going to have an actual shelter, then go for it. Request a zoning variance for a business in a residential area, and shelter away. But there should be regulations as to number of animals, a separate building with proper facilities and abilities to tend to animals, and a zoning meeting regarding the request.

Otherwise, all this will end up is someone wanting 10 dogs in their house/yard requesting permission as a "private animal shelter".

But as most all things Miles City ordinance related, this will not be the case, and as Levi said, is going to be bad.
Posted by RA (+650) 11 years ago
As an animal lover, I do see the need for private shelters ~ the need is overwhelming for just Annie or East Main or the City of Miles City. Just look at the various Classified Ads on this website offering free pets for different reasons - puppies & kittens born, owners moving, divorcing, etc. (Keep in mind this is only one source)

I totally agree that the ordinances need to be well written. I do not agree with the thought, 'let the shelters be set up only outside the city limits'.....that attitude of "it's O.K. as long as it's NOT in my neighborhood" is off base.

There is a GREAT need for foster homes to house, socialize, and care for the animals during the transition time to their FUREVER homes.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15384) 11 years ago
I currently have no opinion about this topic. I am sure that luvlife will be along shortly and give me one.
Posted by Rocky (+185) 11 years ago
I don't think that it should be allowed within city limits. No matter what is stated "inspection" wise. People will abuse it and not only the animals will suffer, but so will the neighbors. I think a better idea would be to setup a Miles City adoption website where the animals for adoption could be seen by everyone and help by advertising more.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1822) 11 years ago
That's a great idea, Rocky!
Posted by Laura Sevier (+1820) 11 years ago
I would be willing to take pictures of the pets for adoption for the web site and post the pictures of the pets on milescity.com. If a web site was created
supporter
In best Franknfurter voice. Ooh Rocky!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15384) 11 years ago
Well, then let's get this project underway. Anyone want to help adopt these "pets".

supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 11 years ago
It's sad what can happen when these private sanctuaries get overcrowded and underbudget.
One I know about recently caused the caretaker's husband to kill himself. He was my friend. He couldn't take the overwhelming problem anymore and his wife put the dogs' well-being at a higher priority than her family's. There had been a plan and a limit and funding but best intentions were taken over by a compulsion to do whatever it takes to rescue more and more animals.
Not to strike any nerves, fellow animal lovers, but there has to be a backup plan, including what to do when it fails... whether one should give his life for it, or lose it over it...
Good luck with this.
Posted by Steve Allison (+983) 11 years ago
I would love help you out Richard but Amorette said 2 cats are enough to keep my bed warm so the snow bunnies need to keep looking for a warm home.
supporter
Jeff

Thank you for your post.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 11 years ago
You're welcome. I can tell another story about a horse rescue farm. I wasn't opposed to helping out at all. And I did a lot, because my wife asked me to. I hauled a hell of a lot of hay and built a bunch of fence on somebody else's farm. Then at an appreciation party it was announced how much I was appreciated, the spokesperson included a thanks for the "generous monthly cash donation without which we couldn't survive." This was news to me and set off a discussion later at home. There could have been a divorce but my dear wife realized her wrongdoing and promised to stop giving away my hard earned money without my permission. The sanctuary was broke and caused a divorce in another family but again, you have to figure out and plan ahead, and have a backup plan. I would hate to lose MY wife or MY life over it. I know some people will disagree. Sorry. This is a sad situation every time.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9472) 11 years ago
If only there was a solution to too many horses.