Does anyone else notice?
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2605) 9 years ago
I listen to 101.3 every morning on my way to work and it seems that maybe they should allow the announcer to pre read the news before he goes live. I mean it's every day he messes it up and it is to the point I can't even make sense of what he is trying to read. I mean I'm not the smartest guy out there but come on he is on the radio.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 9 years ago
That is my #1 reason for listening to 101.3 in the morning. It's like news and comedy combined .
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
Three letters. NPR.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5098) 9 years ago
Does anyone read the police blotter and fire calls on the air every morning like Lee Akers used to do???
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14724) 9 years ago
Can't be any worse than J. Michael Doris and C.W. Wilcox carrying on for 20 minutes about the goat the stole Pansey Jones black neglige off of the close line.
supporter
NPR in MT is awfully boring unless you're really into classical music or jazz.

Does anyone read the police blotter and fire calls on the air every morning like Lee Akers used to do???

I don't think so, but you can find out what every school kid in Custer and Rosebud county will be having for lunch.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (11/30/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5098) 9 years ago
That would be interesting. Though I'd probably try to crash school lunch when they had tater tot hot dish...
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1277) 9 years ago
Richard, THAT was when radio was entertaining! Of course, I don't know how entertaining that was to Mrs. Jones!
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+479) 9 years ago
I remember when one guy on 101.3 first came to work there. (He still works there but I don't know if he does the morning show anymore.) He would say "Wee-box" for Wibaux and "St. Labor" for St. Labre. The topper was when he said "Hee-BER-lee" Ford. (Which is pronounced HEB-er-lee.)

I think if a guy isn't sure, he should at least ask somebody local. But, he probably was channeling his inner Les Nessman and saying "I'm a professional, I don't need to practice!"
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6019) 9 years ago
Can't be any worse than J. Michael Doris and C.W. Wilcox carrying on for 20 minutes about the goat the stole Pansey Jones black neglige off of the close line.

Especially when all you want is the score of the game.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 9 years ago
There can't be anyone in the media worse than the moron camera man that films the Griz games. Dude, it's a pump fake.

Mike, I wonder if you mean Darby, is he still around?

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (11/30/2011)]
Posted by Jessica Newell (+403) 9 years ago
I don't think pre-reading the news would help the poor guy much. From as much as I've heard him mess up I doubt thers much that'd help.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16502) 9 years ago
Posted by RA (+653) 9 years ago
I have even called the 101.3 station and advised this particular announcer how to correctly pronounce Lavina, Wibaux, etc. He was EXTREMELY rude ~ did not appreciate the respectfully offered correction AT ALL. Other friends of mine that have also offered corrections have received the same treatment from this announcer.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 9 years ago
Poop birds, I'm out of touch. I knew the guy forever.
Posted by Ryan (+482) 9 years ago
Sorry but I listen to my XM radio. I can't stand the stations we have around here....
supporter
Ryan that's what we are getting at,if these guys that own the station want us locals to listen to their station then they should resolve this problem.
supporter
On the contrary, you can listen to overproduced DJs that pronounce things correctly anywhere. The only place you can hear somebody stumble their way through the Lincoln school lunch menu followed by 20 minutes of ag market reports followed by some old guy calling in to the "KIK country store" first every day for literally years trying to sell the same "country and western records" and "Charlie Russell prints" along with whatever junk he picked up at the yard sales this weekend is on a small town radio program.

When I moved back from California, nothing made me feel like I was home more than listening to the KIKC morning show and I say that without a trace of sarcasm.
supporter
Levi, you crack me up I almost forgot about that old man. I want to buy all that stuff for him just so he quits trying to sell it, but that might encourage him to do it more and give him hope that people do need his things LOL.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 9 years ago
This post is informative and slightly hilarious at the same time. I'll pass it along to the boss.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14724) 9 years ago
The irritating thing about most radio stations, both land based and satellite, is that it is "tape". You end up hearing the same song about the same time of day. Taylor Swift is singing "Your so mean" means it must be 5:45 pm. At least with local radio there is some news and announcements to break up the Drake-Chenault or Jones Radio Network monotony. And it is free. Even Frank Caliendo impersonating John Madden gets old after the 7th or 8th lime around. Why pay for repeats. If you want to pay for your radio, support NPR.

I have grown to really enjoy NPR. I usually learn something and one day that info will help me beat Mrs. DP, ingride, and Bridgier at trivia.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (12/2/2011)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
Radio stations don't care much about listeners. They care about ADVERTISERS. Get an advertiser to complain and you will see some action.
supporter
Josh, I do have to say you do a pretty good job on the radio, kinda nice to have someone who has a little spunk to them on there.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 9 years ago
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Although I'll admit artist names get to me sometimes.
Posted by sdrew (+233) 9 years ago
I'm probably the only one on here who listens to 1250 AM, but the guy who does the weather cannot pronounce "hour". He says "are"..."winds from the southwest a 10 miles an "are"..."we'll have news at the top of the "are"..
The "Official Reading of the School Lunch Menus" drives me bonkers as well...
That being said, I love being able to listen to classic country instead of "hot" new country. Guess all in all, I am glad to have several local stations available that appeal to different tastes in genre.
I used to love C. W. & J. Micheal's "The Long & The Short Of It" on KIKC years ago.
Posted by Dave Golterman (+236) 9 years ago
Years ago I remember listening to road closures on KFYR in Bismarck and the news director, Mary Marshall, who was usually pretty good, had a devil of a time when she got to Montana Highway 7 which was closed from Wibaux to Ekalaka!

I worked for a short time at a radio station in the Nebraska panhandle and before I opened the mike for the first time, I went over the names of towns with my co-workers. I was told that at one of the competitors, a new announcer was hired and he was doing the news at 6am and there had been a car accident in Hyannis, NE which he pronounced Hi-Anus. LOL
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1277) 9 years ago
I would give up something (some body part, but only some ) to have my own station in a small market. I think that it would be fun, and given today's technology, can be run for a small amount of operating money. It does require a large investment though. Equipment ain't cheap!!

I hate the lack of ability of the talent in a small market, but then that's what makes it so enjoyable. Just think of what KYUS would have been all those years if they had CNN quality instead of Dave reading the newspaper.... It is what it is, and that's what people always end up missing.

When I "record" my show, I have to remember to leave the errors in and not go back over and over until its correct because no one ever "does it right" live on the air!