Homestead Families
Posted by Clifford Gosselin (+15) 9 years ago
My dad, George Gosselin, was raised on a homestead near Volberg. George was in the first class at the S-Y School with Pearl Walden, teacher, George's brother Jim and sisters Sarah and Marie. and three Kirkpatrick boys. George and Marie are both still living. George worked on the old P D Ranch for Doctor Ellis. Minnefey? was the Forman. George was friends with Gilbert Lowe. Anyone know any of these people?
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+192) 9 years ago
I remember where the Gosselin place used to be, but all the buildings are gone now. I knew Sarah Viall when she lived in Miles City. I don't know if my mother knew any of you, but she used to talk about the Gosselins. She was born in l910 and lived on a homestead off the road that went to Ira Pattons. She and her brothers and sisters all went to the Loesch School. My mother was Frieda Kluver and married Emil Hagedorn in 1929. I also went to the Loesch School. The school house is still there, but hasn't been any school for a number of years..
H Lockie, thanks for the reply. I will ask dad about your family names to see if anything clicks. He worked quite a few places and remembers great detailsand a lot of names. Recall is becoming more difficult so it is sometimes hard to get recollection on demand. Those were great people living in those conditions. Cliff
Regarding my aunt, Sarah Viall, dad's sister. Do you have any information about Tim and Sarah Viall when they were at Fort Keogh. Tim was there a long time I know. I used to visit them at the fort in the 1940s.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 9 years ago
If you use the search function at top of page with a last name, you may find reference to Viall on this website.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+490) 9 years ago
Of the original homesteaders in your dad's vicinity, few remain. The Careys, Zooks, O'Daniels, Birds, Benges, Willsons,Heaps have stayed in the families or have decendents living near by. Helen can tell you more about the area to the south and west of Volborg. The Sy school is still operating and there are two Zooks attending from the 4th generation.
Thanks Bill. A year ago dad called the School and talked to Melody Haynes then called and talked to one of your family members. Dad sure has a lot of history to share.
founder
supporter
The homesteaders/farmers that lived in the Loesch Store/School area were Murray, Riley, Cumber, Kluver, Hagedorn, Cain, Merchant, Gaskill, Waddell, Green, Roots, Patton, Lockwood, Pikkula, Hoops. Maybe some I have missed, but maybe your dad may have known some of these people. My grandfather, Henry Kluver, used to freight with a team and wagon from Volborg to Miles City. It would take him a week to make the trip, but I don't know how long he did this, as it was in the 20's and 30's. The sad thing is, there is no one left to ask.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8992) 9 years ago
Pretty sure Dallas Merchant's still kicking around (although, probably not reading this website), as well as a couple of Greens. Sonny Lockwood's been gone a while, and I'm not sure about the Hagadorns.
founder
supporter
Dallas Merchant is still on their home place, I see him occasionally in town. And I'm sure he does not have E-mail!! Some of the Greens are still around, Betty lives at the Eagles Manor here in Miles City: Clifford and Lila are in the Holy Rosary Extended care. Lila had a stroke a number of years ago, and Clifford has had both legs removed due to poor circulation. Melvin lives at Cohagen, and Delores is still living. Sonny Lockwood is still ranching in the Coalwood area and his sister, Joyce, lives on the Patton place. I am a Hagedorn and my brother, Bob, lives on the home place and has added the Lempson and Bader places to it.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8992) 9 years ago
Maybe I'm thinking of some other Lockwood - I thought I'd heard that Sonny was gone.
George Gosselin does not recall Henry Kluver on the road between Volberg and Miles City. Dad talks a lot about the trip in from the homestead. He says it took two days with two horses and a wagon load of grain. Then he says his dad would take four horses and load extra bags of grain and make it in two days. The return trip was in one day with no load. Dad also worked for Charlie Simpson branding calves. One cowboy would grab the tail the other would flip the calf and turn his head while it was branded. George says they branded a lot of calves that way.