Question......Why is there no Dog Park in Miles City?
Posted by RA (+650) 15 years ago
We've noticed at the most popular parks in Miles City - Wibaux and Riverside - that there are very small signs, "No Dogs in Park". With so many travelers coming to Miles City with their dogs; and with so many Miles City residents having dogs....why is there no Dog Park in Miles City??

A suggestion would be to allot a small portion of each park a Dog Park. At Riverside Park, an area at the South end would be suitable, shaded, away from the children's play area and gazebo. At Wibaux, an area at the North/East or South/East ends would be ideal...for the same reasons as for Riverside.

We have traveled to various areas of the country....to communities large and small....and even the majority of small communities offer this amenity to the public.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 15 years ago
It is most likely because a previous long term mayor and his favorite henchman used to round up dogs and get rid of them. (Their own words at a city council meeting.) We also had a city judge who loved to harass people who owned dogs. Dogs were not liked or wanted by previous city government. Perhaps now we have a mayor who likes dogs? Then it should be a possibility.
It is most likely because a previous long term mayor and his favorite henchman used to round up dogs and get rid of them. (Their own words at a city council meeting.) We also had a city judge who loved to harass people who owned dogs. Dogs were not liked or wanted by previous city government. Perhaps now we have a mayor who likes dogs? Then it should be a possibility.
founder
Posted by Rick Goff (+73) 15 years ago
You can say that again...
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 15 years ago
Dogs were actually banned because people were tired of stepping in pooh. There was (and still is) some concern about kids getting bit by roaming or territorial dogs.

I've got dogs myself, but I have never had a desire to take them to the parks with lawns. I don't care to clean up the pooh and I certainly don't want to step in someone else's.
First, I believe that the issue of the lack of dog parks in Miles City doesn't rest solely in the lap of the recently resigned mayor....it goes back a lot further than that. And, is that a valid excuse for here and now??....to remain status quo??

Here is some professional information from www.nacpro.org :

"Dog Park, Paw Park, Bark Park, Pooch Park, whatever they're called, have been popping up all across America in the last few years, mainly within existing public park facilities. They are, in essence, a place where a dog can be and act, well... , like a dog. Free from being tethered to it's human caretaker, the dogs can romp, socialize with other canine companions, and explore the park at will.

There is a minimum of requirements to establish a dog park facility. In its simplest form, all that is required is a fenced in area, a source of water, facilities for collecting and disposing of droppings, posted rules, and a shaded area for the humans to sit and enjoy watching their pets play.

What about liability concerns? The operators of the first parks to open were indeed concerned about injury to humans and dogs, however, with a few rules, liability problems have not been an issue. There is one main theory as to why there have been few, if any problems: responsible pet owners. You would expect that only people who care a great deal about their pets would go to the trouble to load them into a car and drive to a special park facility. These owners obey the established rules, clean up after their pets, assert control over their off-leash pets, and maintain their pets in a healthy condition. They also appreciate having the facility available and will self-patrol the area to assure that all users obey the rules."

* As far as picking up your dog's pooh....agreed, not the most pleasant of tasks for a dog owner....but, if you travel much with your best friend, you WILL at some point be picking up your dog's pooh....or be in violation of some ordinance (law).

Another great reference online, a site for professional athletic turf managers....the turf includes Baseball fields, Football fields, Soccer fields, and yes, Dog Parks.

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=123836 :

"In one case study, a Tucson, AZ park administrator solved the muddy mess problem by installing irrigation systems and on-site water-runoff collection centers, combined with constant maintenance. Tucson's first dog park cost only $14,000 to install - it was just a fence and some dirt. But in short order, clouds of dust became a problem and the irrigation system was installed and an association of dog park users raised funds for grass seed and maintenance.

Tucson now has three dog parks. The city estimates the construction cost at around $85,000, and maintenance costs about the same as for a soccer field. The city saw a decrease in off-leash dogs complaints in neighborhoods and on athletic fields."

* Notice the last sentence......'a decrease in off-leash dog complaints in neighborhoods and on athletic fields.' On any given morning...I would challenge you to park at the fertilizer plant across Bridge Street from the football practice field and Little League fields and tally how many citizens of Miles City bring their dogs to the area, open their vehicle doors to let their dogs out, and slowly drive while their dogs run and pooh on these fields...the same fields that youngsters run, dive, and roll in! And, you don't see a need for a Dog Park??
I didn't say our recently resigned mayor...I said "a previously long term mayor". That doesn't describe Butch.
Posted by Carol (+145) 15 years ago
Who would pick up the poop made my the dogs? The owners? HA HA!!!
I know there are good dog owners who would clean up after there pets and then you have the ones who don't.
I see people who walk their dogs around town and on the street I live on and they let their dogs just poop in anyone yard and don't clean up after them and the homeowner has to pick it up.
I think it's just rude to do that to the homeowners who don't have pets. You walk your pet please clean up after them. There are some eldery people in Miles City who have trouble getting out to clean up dog poop. Please have some respect to homeowners when you walk your pets.
I think the City should make a law and or some kind of fine for people who don't clean up after their dogs when they walk them. Then it could funding for having a Dog park. Fine the people at the Dog park too if they don't clean up after them help keep a Dog park open for visitors and City people to use.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 15 years ago
The way I hear it.. the city of MC is having a hard time providing basic "amenities" such as running water. And you want to worry that there is no "dog park".

If you are going to establish such a facility may I suggest part of the WalMart parking lot. That is where all of those "precious" tourist are staying anyway.
I do agree with you, Richard, on the point that FIRST the city should provide all with the basics of life. Sadly, some Miles City streets compete with the Tongue River Road or Moon Creek Road for bad roads!!!

I do not agree with you, Richard, about where 'tourists' congregate...what about out of state relatives that come to visit....even some of your relatives that visit....would they be considered 'guests' or 'visitors' or 'tourists'?? Have you checked out the state's statistics for the number of these types of visitors to Miles City? The number of visitors/tourists to Miles City is surprising, and the $$'s they spend in Miles City while they are here is important to the local economy!! The longer we can encourage these out-of-towners to stay in Miles City....they can discover that there is more to Miles City than Wal-Mart or South Haynes Ave.

Since the current mayor has asked for volunteers to serve on a newly formed Parks Advisory Committee....with a portion of their purpose to look forward to the future....it seems that a Dog Park is worth considering.
supporter
On the other hand, if we all had dogs like Bill Engvall's we wouldn't "need" a dog park.

Perhaps the praire dog outfitters in the area could provide a new service such as the "doggy outhouse". After all the holes have already been dug and such a project would save local taxpayers some money.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 8/18/2006).]
Personally, I like Tater Salad's dog, Sluggo! And, Tater's solution.....'living room looked like a campground!'
Posted by Patti Hughes (+88) 15 years ago
I am all for a DOG Park. We have lots here in Colorado. It is a very dog friendly state. The Monoco Hotel and others are mainly for people with pets, dogs esp. Their greeter is a Jack Russell. They supply everything for your pets needs and wants. Dog Parks everywhere. And their grass is better looking than residents lawns, they have drinking fountains for them and bags for the poop, and benches, what a nice way to spend and hour with your pet while they socialize and you too!!!
supporter
They also have a sales tax in CO the help fund such places.
Posted by deer_slayer (+488) 15 years ago
I too live in Colorado these days, and while there are many dog parks here, I must agree with Richard on this one and say that Miles City does not need a dog park. There are many such places that you find inside the city already, if you want to let your dog run free and pooh where it wishes. Namely: Tounge River, Yellowstone River, and my favorite...the Slough. There's also about 10 spots around the train tracks that run through the middle of town.

If Miles City wanted to do something nice for itself they should put up a bronze statue of a cowboy on a buckin' bronc right next to the Montana Bar in that park. Now that would be cool. Or maybe fix the dyke so that those people living over there can buy insurance and let their property values go up. The statue idea is better though. And just for the record...not an Alice Walden statue.