The Busy Bees 4-H Club in 1986.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
Melvin May was elected president. David Maier, vice president. Jess Drange, secretary-treasurer. And new members were initiated. Guess who one was? HINT: NOT a Bonine.
Posted by uno21 (+65) 10 years ago
I was in that club from 1982 until 1991 and the last of my siblings finally finished in 2004. I'm trying to think of who would be the new members then, hmm.. That was a long time ago Amorette! Please share!
Posted by uno21 (+65) 10 years ago
Here's my guess.. Levi Forman? He would have been about the right age then. Or maybe Nola Drga, Jenn Herzog, Ty Lantis, Wade Hudson, Karla Drange, Dave Smiths boys. All of those kids joined about that time.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
DING*DING*DING*

We have a winner. Levi Forman was a new member, along with Dustin Smith, Tom Singleton, Jenny Herzog, Ty Lantis and Tamara Beardsley.

Nothing says OLD like showing up in Stardust!
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 10 years ago
The Bonine's where all (if memory serves) good Screaming Eagle 4-H club members.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 10 years ago
Oh man, why did you have to go and do that.

I can actually remember that meeting though, I believe it was held in Pat and Monte Herzog's basement but I could be thinking of the wrong one.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 10 years ago
I cannot speak for all of us (because I'm not that old ) but most of us were members of the Signal Butte Club. This club later joined the Prairie Scooters Club. This happened in maybe my 3rd or 4th year. Perhaps some of the older ones were members of another club prior to Signal Butte.
supporter
See, this just proves the point that there are just too damned many Bonines. Let's say... all Bonines +/- 1 with an origin centered at Mary were, I believe, Screaming Eagles (the bestest catholic motorcycle gang 4-h club ever.)

Of course, I could be wrong, perhaps Mary and her older brother weren't in the Screaming Eagles, but were, in fact, splitters who'd rather hang out with those losers from Kercher than with the rest of us. These things happen.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 10 years ago
I guess I cannot speak for the youngest family members either. Maybe they were Screaming Eagles. I was not nor were any Bonine's who came before me.
founder
Posted by Tamara Beardsley (+23) 10 years ago
I remember that meeting clearly too, Levi. Like I mentioned on Facebook, I had waited in bitter agony for an entire year until I could be in 4-H like my big sister Kari. I think the meeting was in the shop at Hoover's (Smith Ranch) on what is now the Trail Creek Ranch. We even held little candles and had to recite the 4-H pledge. My mom has a picture somewhere. It was a big deal!
supporter
Yeah I remember the candle ceremony in the barn as well, maybe the one in Herzog's basement was an earlier meeting that Mom took me to so I could see if I wanted to join.
supporter
That's why I got out of 4-H - I could tell it was nothing but a agrarian death-cult.
Posted by Mary Bonine (+37) 10 years ago
Bridgier said: "Let's say... all Bonines +/- 1 with an origin centered at Mary..."

At last, someone got it right!

+1 Bridgier

BTW I was in Signal Butte, then Prairie Scooters 4-H clubs.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 10 years ago
So are all of the old great clubs still around? Tongue River Wranglers and the Wild Workers? What a cool era and I will have to look to see if there is anything like that in my neighborhood for my kids. They have a few years yet though....

I miss the Fair. Man I had fun. Except for the time I barfed on the Tilt-o-Whirl.
supporter
BTW I was in Signal Butte, then Prairie Scooters 4-H clubs.

Memories are stupid things. I could have sworn there was a Bonine or two in the club.

I looked into 4-H here (Boise) a while back and it's a lot different - basically they align all the clubs by project, so if you're interested in doing rocketry or computers you're in club A, if you want to raise a pet animal to profit off of its death for slaughter or groom horsies you're in club B, etc, etc, etc...
supporter
Even though about 75% of the stuff I did in 4-H I did because my Mom forced me to do it, I have nothing but positive feelings about it looking back. If I had kids now I would definitely force them to join want them to have the opportunity to join 4-H.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
I started out in the.... (get ready to laugh) Happy Hustlers 4-H club. About my third year in the club, at the tender age of 11 I use my newly acquired skills with Roberts Rules of Order and sense of style to change the name of the club to the less sappy Yellowstone Valley 4-H club. Sometime later (after Mary Petro decided she was too cool for 4-H ) YVC merged with the Signal Butte Club.

One of the most enjoyable times in 4-H were the trips to Volborg to beat the mighty Pine Ridge club in volley ball. It was sort of a Zook family reunion.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (11/18/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 10 years ago
When I was a kid the busy Bees was the girls 4-H club at Kinsey and the boys club was the Sand Creek 4-H club.