The Red Rock
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11888) 10 years ago
The Red Rock closed 40 years ago this week. We thought the Interstate would be wonderful but while there were advantages, there were also disadvantages, and the business along old 10-12 were the ones that suffered.

Let us lift a glass to a pink neon windmill and remember good times, good times.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+788) 10 years ago
I just came across the blue prints for the RRV while sorting things out for our upcoming auction.

So if you want to recreate it, the floor plans are still available.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1278) 10 years ago
40? Not 30? I remember going there and I'm sure I was older than 2.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 10 years ago
I second Cory's inquiry, Amorette...did you mean 20 years, perhaps?

I'm 40-something and I have memories of the Red Rock Village, Supper Club and Bowling Lanes that go into and beyond my teenage years.
Posted by CRK (+111) 10 years ago
The Red Rock closed in November, 1986. If you do the math, it's not 40 years ago. More like 25.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+667) 10 years ago
Oh man! Please NO!!! I have been living a lie! 40 years ago??!!! Am I really in my 70's??? no.. No... NOOOOO!!!

Whew... not really...

On topic... I think the "40 years ago" was a typo? I remember in the early 80's that when I came to MC to visit my Grandmas, one of them worked at the Red Rock.. fuzzy memories.. (I am getting older) but I do remember the place being open for business.
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+484) 10 years ago
The interstate is indeed wonderful for the traveler, but for businesses in small towns it was a death knell. At least MC was able to grow a new business district to replace the one that the interstate killed. A lot of towns aren't so lucky.

Back to the Red Rock, I remember going there with my grandparents. If they wanted to treat us to a "special" night out, we would either go to the Red Rock, or the Crossroads. Sad to see them both gone.

[This message has been edited by Forsyth Mike (11/17/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+757) 10 years ago
No kidding, I remember the class of 77 banquet like it was only thirty three years ago. It was at the Red Rock and it was really fun. Afterwards we went downtown and I don't remember a lot of that. Probably because the drinking age was eighteen back then...
I even remember the swimming pool, of all things. Last time I was in it was August 1981. I was home on leave from the Navy, brought some friends from Georgia with me, they sure liked Miles City especially Barney's Bar. Those were the days, huh?

[This message has been edited by Jeff Denton (11/17/2011)]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Denton (11/17/2011)]
Posted by Beth Oswald (+277) 10 years ago
I ate there for prom in 1985
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 10 years ago
I remember attending a Christmas party or two for a local business at the Red Rock in the mid-80's, probably 1984 and 1985. The thing that stands out in my mind is as the night wore on we started drinking "Scorpions" -- a bowl drink with long straws and 4 or 5 people shared a bowl.

If this is the recipe they used it's no wonder we were all stepping high on our way out the door:

Scorpion Bowl Drink

Scorpion Bowl Drink Recipe

Ingredients:

2 oz. Gin
1 oz. Rum, dark
2 oz. Rum, overproof/151 proof
2 oz. Rum, white
2 oz. Vodka
2 oz. Grenadine
4 oz. Orange Juice
4 oz. Pineapple Juice

Mixing Instructions:

Fill pitcher with about 10 oz. of ice. Add liqueurs. Mix in juice, top with grenadine and then stir well. Makes enough for 2-5 people.

Contributor:

This drink recipe was submitted by one of our brilliant readers, Carl Tenenbaum!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17660) 10 years ago
I get a headache just looking at that recipe.
founder
supporter
I was typing the post while reading the article. The Red Rock was 40 years old when it closed 25 years ago. Apologies.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 10 years ago
Ah, okay...yeah, that makes more sense. Figured it was a typo. As they say on Coffee Talk: "No big wuff."
founder
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 10 years ago
Posted by Keli A. (+109) 10 years ago
Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful memories you all have had at the Red Rock! I am a grandchild of the owners back then and I have LOTS and LOTS of great memories there as a child! I miss it terribly! Here are some of the memories that I have: I remember the teddy bear pancakes that all the grandkids were made in the mornings before school and would eat together in the cafe. I remember rolling down the huge ramp that lead to the Super Club upstairs and then sliding down the railing to the bottom. I loved to go sit and ride on the bear that was outside by the pine trees in the middle section of the parking lot. Does anybody remember how my grandma (Rose) would always decorate the area between the dance floor and dinning area where it is was raised up kind of like a stage? She would dress dolls up for every season and Holiday and put up Christmas trees and wrap presents and put up Easter baskets and all sorts of stuff! Us kids would go and climb up there with all the dolls and pretend that we were part of the display. LOL The best part was the swimmimg pool! I learned to swim by the age of 9 months! My mom (Jane) always tells the story of how one of the guests had to leave the pool cause he couldn't handle seeing a 2 yr old jumping off the diving board all by myself with my mom sitting on the other side of the pool reading a book! I loved how the roof of the pool could slide open and closed depending on the weather outside. You could have an indoor or outdoor pool all in one!

Well, I could go on for hours about the Red Rock! If anyone has anything (articles, pictures, or whatever) and want to get rid of...I would LOVE to have it! My number is 234-2326

Thanks again for sharing your memories! I enjoy reading them!
Keli
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 10 years ago
I'm reminded that in the summer of 1988 I was in Elk River, Minnesota, driving west on what must have been U.S. Highway 10 approaching (guessing) "Big Lake". Somewhere around there I saw a billboard advertising the Red Rock Village in Miles City. I was surprised to see a billboard for a [at that time, closed] Miles City motel not too far out of Minneapolis. The Red Rock put Miles City on the map.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1511) 10 years ago

Posted by Keli A. (+109) 10 years ago
Dave- That is so awesome! I was too little to remember what the menus looked like, so this is the first time I have ever seen one! Is that the only one you have? Thanks for sharing

Keli
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 10 years ago
I wonder how many people ordered the canned prunes for breakfast.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Sadly, it's the only one I've seen in a number of years on eBay.

Mom thinks that it's from the cafe and not the supper club, I don't remember myself.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2734) 10 years ago
Weren't the Supper Club menus red?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Likely. What little memory I have of it is that *everything* in the supper club was a shade of red.
founder
supporter
I don't think they served Cream of Wheat or prune juice in the supper club.
Posted by tax payer (+350) 10 years ago
Amorette..these books you sell, where can you find them? Do the proceeds go back to the historical society? Have some Christmas gifts to fill and these sound like what I need.

[This message has been edited by tax payer (11/21/2011)]
founder
supporter
I carry the books--which are mostly my collected history columns and some other random stuff--at my office and they can also be purchased at the Miles City Star store. I think they have the last copies of Volume 1. I need to order more.

Volume Seven is getting laid out for printing. Just have to do the pagination, table of contents, and cover and get them copied and bound.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1388) 10 years ago
The start of my musical career was at the Red Rock Supper Club.

I worked next door at the bowling alley and when my shift was over I would go check out the road bands that used to play in the supper club. Eventually, as I got to know some of them, they would invite me to sit in for a few songs. I think I was 15 or 16 years old at the time. That supper club was sacred ground for me for many years.