Free spay and neutering clinic?
Posted by Melita (+335) 10 years ago
Does anyone know of a free spay and neuter clinic anywhere close to here? The last one I have heard of was in Poplar about a month ago- kinda far for sick animals... If not- I think it would be a good idea I would sure be willing to help with it! I would like some feedback (mainly positive) if at all possible. Thanks!
Posted by Its Me (+184) 10 years ago
I would be scared to take my beloved pet to a free clinic. I still remember one here where like 30+ animals died due to a disease passed around. The exact number eludes me.
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1512) 10 years ago
I took my baby there. I was young, couldn't really afford to pay for her to get fixed. She was done well! I would still do it again. I loved what they did and there was no infection in her at all.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 10 years ago
I took my cat to a free one in Billings a few years ago. It nearly killed her. I am sure that the circumstance was the exception to the rule, but I would never do it again.
Posted by cyndie (+347) 10 years ago
We had our cat done here. He's now 8-9 yrs. old. and the boss of the house. I thought they did great.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1808) 10 years ago
I personally feel that "free spay/neuter clinics" should be strictly geared to the feral and otherwise 'not your precious house kitty' population. For that purpose, I strongly support them

Frequently, Vet clinics offer discount coupons and certain times of the year they do the procedure at a greatly discounted rate. Roundup does them several times a year, and I know a couple van loads from here frequently go up for it.

No matter the circumstances, I think anyone taking an animal in should insure it is healthy at the time, and DEFINATELY see that it's up to date on shots! If you go to a free clinic, there will be exposure to all the nasty things cats are susceptible to..come prepared
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+411) 10 years ago
I took 5 barn cats to the free spay/neuter clinic that has held in Miles City a number of years ago. Three of the five died a few days after they were there. There were a number of feral cats there and apparently they were carrying diseases. Because of that many people's cats died.

I would never do it again.

If you animal means anything to you an appoinment with a vet, regardless of cost, if your best option.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1432) 10 years ago
What is the thing/s that make a free clinic so much more "dangerous" to take your animal to to perform neutering than a paid vet office?

Is it a higher likelihood there's more feral animals dumped there with a broader range of diseases?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1808) 10 years ago
Correct on both guesses! Also, there's a lot more 'stress' put on a cat, especially a not very tame one, to be in a strange cat carrier, stacked over many other carriers.

Cats may not show symptoms of being sick when they are caught to come in, but will go down hill quickly in all the chaos.

Again, to me it's a lesser of 2 evils ~ very difficult to get individual cats from a feral colony all fixed at once. Yes, you'll probably lose some of them..probably lose a lot more left to their own baby makin' demise.
Posted by Its Me (+184) 10 years ago
Actually, part of the higher risk is the fact that feral cats have a higher risk of disease, but the fact is that during these clinics there are a large amount of animals in a short period of time. They are in and out fast. The volume just raises the chances. The clinics can be a great thing, but when something goes bad wrong, it is horrible. I would rather minimize my beloved cats chances by making an appointment.