supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2734) 8 years ago
It was cold this morning when I went to work and cold tonight when I came home. Opened the fridge and realized I had all the makin's for Shepherd's Pie, which turned out to be what I would judge as Thee Best Ever!

Now I'm all warm and comfy inside and out.

So I'm wondering: What are some of your favorite winter warm-me-up dishes?
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4946) 8 years ago
any kind of homemake soups...love them dearly...with homemade bread for dippin' , of course.. LOL...
Posted by Monica LN (+151) 8 years ago
Tater-Tot hotdish (made with melted cheese and wild rice) and lasagna
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+886) 8 years ago
Anything in the crock pot... I'm slightly obsessed with crock pot cooking...put food in the morning, it's hot and ready when you come in out of the cold that evening. I think I can pretty much cook anything in a crock pot, well...almost everything, including cake, bread...and breakfast! Any favorite recipes or tips there???
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+377) 8 years ago
Ditto on the crock-pot. My new favorite is sirloin tip with cream of chicken soup, a packet of brown gravy, some* worchestershire, some garlic salt, some sage, salt, pepper, an onion. Served over skin-on mashed taters mixed with sour cream, cheese, and chives.
*not a precise measurement

Rachael Ray has an awesome ground beef soup that's quick and easy and surprisingly good.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9335) 8 years ago
Shepherd's pie sounds good Steve, I'll have throw one together this weekend.

Moose or duck curry is a favorite winter meal for us.
Posted by bh (+81) 8 years ago
Just had chickenc and dumplings out of the crock pot last night.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13658) 8 years ago
I was pleasantly surprised whilst perusing the meat section at the local supermarket on Friday to find a couple of packages of oxtails. I don't see them very often. So, I made oxtail stew this weekend...started it on Saturday, let the dutch oven sit out overnight on the back step to skim off the congealed fat (oxtails are pretty fatty), then finished it off with roasted parsnips, carrots and potatoes. Delicious!

Next up will be a pot of Texas red chili....I got a stinky old mule deer buck in the freezer, and about the only way I can eat it is smothering it in chiles.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1428) 8 years ago
Crock pot.
Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pieeeeeeeeee.
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
My Winter Scotch I infuse and bottle the year before (it's a yearly ritual).
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9661) 8 years ago
> Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pieeeeeeeeee

You get about a thousand +1 ones just for that.

supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 8 years ago
This is my favorite crock pot recipe because it is very easy and tasty.

Thinly slice one medium onion and line bottom of crock with it. Sprinkle 2 or 3 cloves of chopped garlic. You can also add bell pepper slices or chiles. Place 3 to 4 pounds of boneless country style pork ribs, trimmed of excess fat and seasoned with salt and pepper, on top of the onions. Pour your favorite bottled or homemade BBQ sauce over the pork. It takes about a cup to a cup and a half. Cook on low all day or on high for about 4 to 5 hours. These turn out very tender and can be used on buns like pulled pork or just eaten as is.
Posted by Its Me (+178) 8 years ago
Does anyone have a recipe for turkey salad. With Thanksgiving coming I love turkey salad sandwiches. I used to have someone make me a whole turkey into the salad to be used on quick sandwiches for days. A good turkey salad sandwich with a little fruit salad sounds good.
supporter
OK, y'all convinced me. I done went out and bought me a crock pot, and now I'm fixin' to cook me up some of them fine dishes all y'all have been gabbin' about. Now all I gotta do if figure out what to cook up first.
supporter
I want to thank you all again for convincing me to buy a crock pot. Because of you, my home is currently filled with a piquant aroma of slowly simmering beef and vegetables.

Wendy, I'm going to start 2012 off by cooking up the pork rib dish. That sounds like the perfect recipe to get the New Year off to a good start!

Well, that and
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1419) 8 years ago
I like the 'winter warm me up' that we are getting over this weekend, 58F at 1:00pm. Hope you have a Merry Christmas, Steve. Of course, we hope everyone has a Merry and Safe Christmas.
supporter
Thanks M. Same to you and G.