Mr. Hartse -- 1957
Posted by lutefisk (+26) 15 years ago
Circa 1957, outside the music room of CCHS was a flat-topped cement ledge adjoining the building on one side. It stood about 1-½ ft. off the ground. Mr. Hartse was the music director at this time... and a large man! Don't hold me to the details, but he, or perhaps another teacher, drove a very small car -- something like a mini-cooper. It was normally parked in close proximity to the afore said cement ledge, but occasionally it "parked" atop the ledge -- with no egress.

Mr. Hartse was a highly respected musical director, so I doubt anyone ever questioned his "driving/parking habits". ????
Posted by Jay (+282) 15 years ago
The car was a Crosley. A burnt orange color if memory serves me right. Also ended up in the Gym a few times.
supporter
Posted by Richard G Flor (+213) 15 years ago
You are right on when you say that Mr. Hartse was a respected musical director but his classroom lectures in World History Class kept you on the edge of your seat..I believe i learned more in his class than any other in high school...58-62...His "Pep Band" was second to none and at halftime the Pep Band really played the current popular music of the times...I truly believe he was way ahead of the times in his teaching abilities...i'll never forget that man for sure.
Posted by lutefisk (+26) 15 years ago
I sometimes wondered if people really came to watch the basketball game, or did they come to hear the pep band? They were wonderfull!!!!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14963) 15 years ago
They came to buy concessions from the FFA and FHA kids!
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+322) 15 years ago
As a member of the CCHS Pep Band in the 58-59 and 59-60 school years, I certainly remember Mr. Hartse. Not only was he a great director, but he helped instill my ongoing love of music. Although we played some of the then popular music, his real love was the swing bands of the 30s. That was music that the Pep Band played more than any other.
And he was also interested in my hobby, model railroading.
What a great teacher!
Ken Z
Posted by teeny wells (+37) 15 years ago
I was in the regular band where we had to do shows for the half time at the football games, parades, etc. I remember Mr. Hartse having a temper and throwing his baton in exasperation, then leaving the room.
Funny!!

he was a great music teacher and I have a great appreciation for all music instruments.
Posted by Fred South (+156) 14 years ago
I was in the CCHS Band from 1952-54 and recall a few fellows deliberately "messing up" their part, just to see Mr. Hartse's exasperation surface. He would stop us, stand with his head lowered, shaking it from side-to-side, saying, "NO, NO, NO", in almost a tearful voice.

He was and still is a great fellow with a deep love of music.