Another Dangerous Winter
Posted by Monica LN (+147) 9 years ago
Last winter was record breaking for eastern MT I hear. Lots of snow which no one seemed to be prepared for. From the perspective of a native Minnesotan, last winter (2010/2011) was a breeze The only trouble I ran into (pardon the pun) was the way people drive out here! I doubt we will get snow for a while yet but I urge people to PAY ATTENTION to the road and to surrounding traffic! Drive at reasonable speeds! Just because the speed limit is 75 doesn't mean you have to drive 75. When the center line is covered in snow; its still there! It doesn't magically disappear. Compensate for breaking on ice and snow. Start slowing down earlier. And for God's sake DO NOT USE CRUISE CONTROL on snowy roads! I really wish I could somehow get this out to every truck driver that will go through this state this winter. The big rigs are what scare me the most in winter driving; I know you have a deadline fellas but it is not worth your life or the lives of others to make it. And last but not least: don't text and drive. Even talking on your cellphone while driving is a distraction; if you can pull over and stop. Please consider what I have said. It might make the difference
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14315) 9 years ago
Let me guess.... you're the bell cow.
?
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4942) 9 years ago
LOL, Richard!! Google the term and you will understand...

[This message has been edited by howdy (10/27/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 9 years ago
SPAM
Is that supposed to be insulting? Whatever.
Posted by Mary B. (+200) 9 years ago
Is that supposed to be insulting? Whatever.

Probably yes. I'm assuming it may have something to do with the fact that your original post came off a tad condescending. A little "you Montanans don't know what a real winter is like and know even less about driving in one".

I am absolutely positive you could go to Minnesota and find just as terrible drivers in the winter. I know this to be true because I've spent plenty of time in Minnesota. As to truck drivers, every state with snowfall has those same issues. They are not exclusive to Montana.

We native Montanans know plenty about snowfall. Though not in very recent years, we used to get that kind of snow every winter.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2304) 9 years ago
The worst drivers every winter, at least around me, usually have out of state plates. Washington, Minnesota, North Dakota, & South Dakota.
Posted by Kristi (+17) 9 years ago
I find it interesting that when I'm driving back to Miles City from Billings, the person who passes me like I'm standing still at 75 mph usually has Minnesota license plates.

[This message has been edited by Kristi (10/28/2011)]
supporter
I find it interesting that when I'm driving back to Miles City from Billings, the person who passes me like I'm standing still at 75 mph usually has Minnesota license plates.

True dat!... only to encounter them a half-hour later at the 7-11 in Forsyth.

The worst drivers every winter, at least around me, usually have out of state plates. Washington, Minnesota, North Dakota, & South Dakota.

and my personal favorite Idiots Out Wandering Around. Going over the Big Horns I have been tailgated, passed, and the had them dynamite their brakes by more people from Iowa and Minnesota than anywhere else in the country.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (10/28/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8481) 9 years ago

And they're probably all texting while they drive as well, the bastards...
supporter
I think the bottom line probably is there are bad drivers in every state...nothing more nor less imo...sometimes you just notice them more and when you bother to look at their tags somehow that translates into all people from that state are bad drivers...nothing could be further from the truth unless it is a southern state where they have no snow (florida) trying to drive thru the Big Horns in the winter...southerners don't have the snow experience but westerners don't have the ice storm experience they do usually...we have ice storms here but nothing like the southern states IMO...

[This message has been edited by howdy (10/28/2011)]
Posted by Jessica Newell (+397) 9 years ago
Yep! Figures, Monica LN tells that she's from MN and it turns into a bashing of MN! Believe me there are plenty of IGNORANT people there, I know, I'm also from there. It all comes down to a lack of common sense, rudeness and mostly everyone being in a hurry. I believe the reason it seems there are so many terrible drivers, which I also believe there are a lot of them! Is because most of our travels are on the I-state which means in-state & out-of-state drivers. Also people thinking there invincible when they have 4-wheel drive. And I hear it all the time from my dad and brother who are OTR drivers, about the stupidity of drivers from one end of the nation to the other, both those in cars and semi's alike! And that's coming from truck drivers who see it a lot more than I do. Why take Monica's post which was meant with good intentions and turn it into a tell-off. I've heard it in more than one state, with the first arrival of bad road conditions its bumper cars because people seem to forget, like kids over summer vacation. So I guess we'll see what everyone's forgotten when the roads get nasty!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15512) 9 years ago
Yep! Figures, Monica LN tells that she's from MN comes onto a Montana forum and bashes Montana drivers and wimpy Montana winters and it turns into a bashing of MN!

There, I fixed it for you, Jessica. And, well, duh, what did she expect the response would be?
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+485) 9 years ago
I think it's good sense to remind people to be careful. If you have been driving on ice for 10-60 years, it's just common sense and you shouldn't get annoyed at someone for pointing out what you feel is obvious. The person who posted this is probably living in Miles City now and probably wouldn't mind a little less snarkiness in return for good advice (don't worry Monica-most of the people on this site are ex-Miles Citians so it's not likely you are going to run into their snarky selves in the local grocery store.) Sadly I grew up with some of them so can put a face to their rude selves, which is somewhat sad.

If you are 16 and just got your Driver's License, or just moved to Montana from Texas to work on the Oil Rigs, then it doesn't hurt to get a little friendly advice (I am not sure truck drivers are checking this website as they drive through from Florida or wherever, but I guess it's worth a shot).

I remember my first experience on ice when I was 16 and had in hand the Driver's License I obtained during the summer months-it iced up while we were in class at CCDHS and I came out one October evening and got into a car with a friend to go drag Main or something. However, as we pulled off the side street to go down Pearl, I pushed down on the gas pedal (like I always had) as I turned the steering wheel, and we ended up doing a couple of 360's on Pearl Street and ended up in the wrong lane facing oncoming traffic. Luckily no one crashed into us and no one got hurt (and my friend requested I slowly drive her home and the plan to drag Main that evening was scrapped I imagine the driving on ice instructions were in the Boring Driver's Manual, but it wouldn't have hurt if anyone had given me good advice I would have listened to prior to that little experience. I think my parents were so used to driving on ice they didn't even think it was worth mentioning.

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Pieters (10/28/2011)]
Posted by Mary B. (+200) 9 years ago
The snarkiness started with the original post. It was perfectly possible to remind people of the importance of safe winter driving without the implication that Montanans are wimpy, unsafe drivers. The way people drive out here is no different than you find everywhere else....some good and some bad. Cheap shots breed cheap shots. That should be no surprise.
Posted by Red Neck Girl (+58) 9 years ago
The people doing 75 going down the middle of the road are not there to piss us off on purpose and I'm sure they don't think they are driving in an unsafe manner. So IF they read this whole thread, they aren't even going to know you are talking about them in the first place.
David, you fixed it for you, not me. Still stands the same from my perspective! And I agree it did start mostly with the implications of Montana's driving abilities but I don't believe she was intentionally trying to bash anyone or anything, just trying to give a reminder for people to try and stay safe. Although I don't think posting a message on here to remind people to drive safely in winter conditions will do any good because, obviously for one it'll just cause a fight, but mostly because every year radio's,tv news casts, internet, all remind everyone anyway and it dosn't realy seem to do much good. Most have to learn the hard way!
supporter
Wow. Can we all take a deep breath and lighten up a little?

When I was a young lad my sisters would occasionally start in on some matriarchal diatribe. I would refer to them as "bossy cows".

Monica LN's original post struck me much the same way, good advice, common sense, but a touch sanctimonious. When I suggested that she might be the "bell cow" I meant it in a humorous manner that I will call "smiling sarcasm". It wasn't really intended as an insult. I readily admit that I have an odd sense of humor and you either understand it or you don't. If you don't, it is likely not funny. I didn't mean to bash anyone or hurt anyones feelings with my comments.

There are bad or inexperienced drivers just about anywhere you go. There seems to be a certain predictability in certain locations as where the people driving outside the normal flow of traffic are from. For some reason, I seem to encounter/notice people from MN and IA driving over Powder River pass in the Big Horns. People who ride their brakes all the way down the mountain scare me, especially when they are behind me. I use the transmission to control my speed and seldom have to touch the brakes.

But, then I am sure that from time-to-time on south Haynes avenue there are plenty of rather aggressive drivers with 17-county Wyoming plates.

So in the end winter is coming. As Frank Furillo says "let's be careful out there".

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (10/28/2011)]
Ok I apologize for what I said about MT drivers. I should have been more specific; I have never been as close to dangerous driving situations (from other drivers) as I have since I moved here. My main goal was to just post some reminders about safe driving. I'm sorry if I insulted anyone. And thanks to those who stood up for me!
Yes, I agree on the lighten up a little! If there's still any disagreements it should be settled with a big snowball fight when theres the first big snowfall! I think that'd be fun lol!
supporter
Christ almighty, it's not an apology if you throw in more stupid insults.
What stupid insults? Well here's one: maybe coincidence is too big of a word for you?
supporter
"Sorry, but I've never seen so many bad drivers."

Get out more, the world is full of idiots who can't drive, it's not here or there, it's everywhere.

P.S. Work on your insults, the unintended ones were better than the last thing.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (10/29/2011)]
GoodGod! Mabey get over it all ready and end the bullpucky! At least she apologized, consider accepting it instead of dragging it on. There is such a thing as misinterpreting something.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1438) 9 years ago
I have driven with both MT and MN plates and I can vouch for the fact that I am a far better driver on snow and ice when I am driving with the MN plates. "75 mph on snow? No problem, I'm from Minnesota. Get up to speed or get out of the way."

FH
supporter
LOL, Frank...
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15512) 9 years ago
I think Minnesota drivers learn to go fast because of all the falling bridges. Going fast gets you across quicker and increases your chance of flying to the other side in the event the bridge does collapse.

I've also heard that their falling bridge problem is directly related to their extreme winters. It's hard to design bridges that can stand up to the extreme low temperatures and heavy snow loads that plague the state 7-8 months out of the year.