Radar Base exit
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
What is the old Radar Base exit now? I'm writing a history column on the 50th anniversary of the opening of the interstate.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 9 years ago
Exit 128.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16504) 9 years ago
The sign for exit 128 simply reads "Local Access" and "No Services".
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
Gracias. I knew I could count on you guys.
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+192) 9 years ago
This exit now merely goes into Ft. Keogh land. Don't think there's anything left at the Radar Base.
Posted by Wayne White (+260) 9 years ago
You mean they tore the whole thing out, houses and all.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1480) 9 years ago
A few of the concrete storage buildings remain, as well as, some of the concrete foundations. Some of the houses were moved, possibly to Fort Keogh. I really enjoyed using the 'paved' road when we were conducting research in the Radar Base Pastures from 1994 to 2006.
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1302) 9 years ago
In the 70s I used to go out there often with a guy that was stationed there years before. He'd give me the tour of what it used to be like in the hey day.
Posted by Bob Wildrick (+58) 9 years ago
Amorettte,

I was stationed there in 57-58. That is correct what the others have told you about the exit. For history, pictures etc. go to this link http://www.radomes.org/museum/ On the left side of he page click on RADAR SITES. On the next page type in 902 where it asks for Unit/Squadron. On the next page click on Miles City AFS. On that page you can click on the site roster and all of the other stuff below that. Look around. Three of us walked in to the base in 2004 and there isn't much there. The AF did a poor job of cleaning up. I understand now that I climbed the fence to get in that you can borrow a key from the manager of the Experiement Station that will unlock the gate and drive in. If you go now be carefull. Rattlesnakes. We had them in our barracks. Some fun stories.

Bob Wildrick
admin
founder