Spotted Eagle Recreation Area history
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11885) 10 years ago
I want to do some research into Spotted Eagle (not the man, I have found out what little there is to know about him) but the recreation area. I am thinking about 1964 for the first inklings that a gravel pit for the interstate could become a goofy little lake. Anyone have an recollections on this matter?

I think Jim Stevenson, then city engineer, was one of the folks who had the idea. Any other names or dates you can recommend?

It is amazing to think how casually the whole thing evolved, compared to what it would take to do something similar today.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15075) 10 years ago
I have some vague memory of my grandpa taking me out there to see the "huge" Euclid TS14 scrapers when they were digging the hole. Seems like it was like 1964-66 time frame. Was Don Pyle was maybe involved in that project?
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 10 years ago
Ask Bonnie Bergerson if she has any info. I know that her husband Bill and his brother Bruce were involved in the formation of Spotted Eagle.
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meadows (+245) 10 years ago
Clarence Huschka right hand man for LP Anderson might be the one you need to talk to. Sweet Heart
Posted by Skidoorulz (+60) 10 years ago
I was told that it was the boat club that actually made it into a usable lake. And that L P Anderson donated most of the equipment and manpower to make, what had been an old gravel pit into what it is now. The reason that there is an island was because it kept filling with water and could not be pumped out fast enough to be able to continue using scrapers, so they went in with Cats and finished the lake by dozing what could not be removed by the scrapers to the middle, creating the island.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 10 years ago
Speaking of "goofy little lakes", how about "Branum Lake". I haven't paid any attention on recent visits to Miles City. Does it still exist? Still get filled up? Stocked with fish? Was it also a remnant of a gravel pit used in constructing the interstate? Related to the fish hatchery? What is its history?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15075) 10 years ago
Here is how it looks in the 2011 NAIP photo. I remember the "cell" closest to the highway as being full of water.

founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 10 years ago
Great picture, Richard. Calling that a lake is a stretch, eh? There is "Camel's Back Hill" in that photo as well.

Former Bozemanites may recall the ponds ("Bozeman Pond") that were just west of the Main Mall/Gallatin Valley Mall. Those were formed from gravel pits when they built the interstate there.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17660) 10 years ago
Seeing that picture makes me thirsty for a draft Miller High Life beer, served of course in a plastic cup.