Posted by Chris Sirchia (+629) 8 years ago
A few weeks ago I went to Albertsons to buy some prok chops. Got home and when I opened the package I got knocked over by the "wonderful" aroma of rotten meat that wouls have peeled the paint off a Hemi in July. Returned it and got my money back.

Today I went to Albertsons and bought some boneless chicken thighs. Guess what?! Bad chicken. The smell would have knock a buzzard off a terd wagon at a hundred yards! Returned it and got my money back.

Both times the people there acted as if it's an everyday thing for them. Not a "Sorry this happened". Not a "Sorry" for that matter.

I guess it's Wally World for meat from now on. At least they started to handle USDA Choice beef and other meats and poultry that aren't spoiled rotten.
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+407) 8 years ago
I would say go to Reynolds!!!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1642) 8 years ago
if they were called "prok chops" I wouldn't eat them, either.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 8 years ago
The title of this thread sort of reminds me of "What's happening with the dike?" and my total disappointment when there were no "She's been pretty busy" responses.
Posted by Kacey (+3162) 8 years ago
I just spent an hour fixing a wonderful rib steak dinner. Took one bite of the meat and instantly spit it out. It's rotten. And it came from Walmart! Never again!

Albertsons used to have a policy that if you got bad food they gave you double your money back. Don't know if they still do but worth checking out.
supporter
The eighth time you're never going back to Wal-Mart.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1673) 8 years ago
I agree with Colette on this one. If you are going to buy meat from a grocery store, it should be Reynolds. I don't believe that Albertsons or Wal-Mart would offer you any local beef options.
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+641) 8 years ago
The title of this thread sort of reminds me of "What's happening with the dike?" and my total disappointment when there were no "She's been pretty busy" responses.

Q:What happened to the dike?

A: Bad Meat
supporter
SeptyTwo FTW
Posted by Robert Paulson (+9) 8 years ago
I buy all my meat from Butcher Block Specialties.....713 Knight.... Best Meat In Town....stop in and talk to Rocky
Posted by Red Neck Girl (+62) 8 years ago
Today at about noon at Albertson's all the deli stuff was in the big cooler while somebody tried to decide if it had all spoiled during some big boo boo.
Kinda throws food safety and the safety of our familys down the crapper.They put trying to save a buck by not throwing away bad or questionable food over our health. They think - well - MAYBE - no one will get sick or die.
Posted by Mindy B (+72) 8 years ago
Not sure how Kacey fixed the whole dinner before finding out the meat was bad...

I like Reynolds, Quality Meats (old Miles City Pack) and Butcher Block for meat. They all have good products and much better customer service over the big chains. Other places in Montana, C&K in Forsyth, Ryan's in Jordan, Western Meat Block in Butte, and Chalet Market in Belgrade.
Quality Mts. is good. Better prices and quality than most.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9778) 8 years ago
If there is the slightest question of whether food has not been maintained, it should be discarded IMMEDIATELY. This is the classic corporations are NOT people issue. If asked, I would imagine the people involved would not want to keep spoiled food for fear of causing an illness to someone but a bottom line says, let's see, what are the odds someone will sue.

Having had salmonella from a high end restaurant (that no longer exists but I still don't like eating in the same building), I can tell you, it is a horrible illness.

If a cooler malfunctions, responsible management throws everything out without debate. I have seen a freezer in the meat department malfunction and everything thaw out and assumed everything was thrown out. Now I wonder.

And I LIKE Alberton's!
Posted by jerseygirl (+566) 8 years ago
Went to Albertson's for groceries today. Got as far as the parking lot and changed my mind...headed to Reynolds and got my meat. Much better quality
Posted by Gwen Gunther (+103) 8 years ago
Many years ago I worked in the meat department at Reynolds as a wrapper/deli person. The first task of my day would be to pull all dated meat and any chicken that had "water" in the package. Then I got the most pleasant task of opening each package, determine if it was still "okay", re-wrap, and freeze with a reduced price sticker. If it was even questionable, we threw it away! I can tell you that many times I came across chicken that had gone very bad and wasn't even close to it's expiration date. There was no way to know that without opening the package. I can also tell you this from experience...knowing your work day will begin by "smelling" for rotten chicken is a good deterrent for a twenty-something year old showing up for work hung over. Well, at least it should have been....
Posted by Kacey (+3162) 8 years ago
Mindy...were you here? Did you watch how I fixed dinner? What kind of bizarre comment was that? If you have something of value to add, write it down. If not, don't just throw in crap to see yourself online!
Posted by luvlife (+288) 8 years ago
Kacey....just have to agree with you here. I bought a roast at Albertson's some time ago....I can honestly say that I did not smell the smell one would think from "rotten" meat, yet...one we went to eat the meat after cooked...it had a very odd flavor. We did not eat it...so, I just had to add...believe it or not....this did happen to me, too.....and, I do a lot of cooking and I am very careful with meat products.

Hands down for me....REYNOLD's has the best meat dept....it is the only place I go to buy meat. The flavor of the hamburger is SO much better then that of Albertson's and Walmart...this is my family and many friends opinion....just passing it along.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13661) 8 years ago
I like Reynolds, Quality Meats (old Miles City Pack) and Butcher Block for meat. They all have good products and much better customer service over the big chains. Other places in Montana, C&K in Forsyth, Ryan's in Jordan, Western Meat Block in Butte, and Chalet Market in Belgrade.

+1
Good God!...............Turkey Spam was actually good!!!! :barf
Posted by Gypsy Farmgirl (+85) 7 years ago
Another good way to know you have good meat, not bad, is to purchase a side, or quarter, of beef and store it yourself.