Cowboys vs. Belgrade
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6114) 10 years ago
More preview-type goodness later, but in the meantime ...

http://billingsgazette.co...7ef16.html

I'd love to see Miles City ruin this for Laurel, but first things first: Good luck against Belgrade, Cowboys! Have a great homecoming!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 10 years ago
I didn't know you once worked for the Gazette - must have been a good experience for you if current Gazette staff members still come to you for stat info.

Belgrade has had some good years, but this year does not appear to be one of them. Hopefully the Cowboys take care of business with them and set-up the showdown between 2 unbeaten teams with Laurel after that. Good luck Cowboys!
Yep, it was the first paper I worked at - 12 years ago this week, actually.

The Cowboys should throttle Belgrade, but there's always the risk of Belgrade playing up and Miles City playing down. The Cowboys have been very good at not looking past opponents over the last few years, so I don't think a 42-6 game is out of the question.
It's the fourth quarter, and the score is ... 42-6, Cowboys.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17663) 10 years ago
Woo hooo!
I hate to brag, but ... damn.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 10 years ago
Wow, Brian....You have talents!!
supporter
I did notice during the post game that they mentioned Laurel's starting QB (Cremer, perhaps?) left the game tonight in the 3rd quarter on crutches...now I would not wish for any player of any team to get injured, but you have to wonder what that might do for the Cowboy's chances in Laurel next week, just saying.
Regardless if Kramer plays or not, it seems that the deciding factor will be whether the Cowboys can keep focused on the game in the second half. The current trend is troubling.
Damn. Central got slaughtered by Dillon tonight, 40-17. In case anyone was wondering ...

The Rams' loss tonight was their first regular-season defeat since the third week of the 2006 season (a 26-21 loss at Dillon). I believe 43-game regular season winning streak is a state record.

The 40 points were the most the Rams have allowed since Miles City beat them 40-28 in the second-to-last week of the regular season in 2003.

And Frenchtown hasn't yet scored this season. That is mind-boggling. Polson hasn't allowed a point. The two teams play in three weeks. While highly, highly unlikely, wouldn't it be a kick if the current trends held?
supporter
Butte Central DID score a TD on Laurel tonight...in a 48-7 loss. Looks like the Locos blew their chance to become the first team to have 4 shutouts in a row.

That said, outscoring your first 4 opponents 171-7 is impressive for ANY team. The Cowboys will have their hands full next week weather Kramer plays for Laurel or not.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+399) 10 years ago
Reports are that Dillon didn't give up a touchdown until late in the game with the second and third string defense in. So, it was even more of a shellacking of Billings Central than the score indicated.

[This message has been edited by JCF (9/19/2011)]
The best sports department in the state, in my opinion:

http://mtstandard.com/spo...03286.html

I think Dillon is out for blood this season. Had the Cowboys not beaten them last year, they would have throttled Central and would have had a historically good team.
Congratulations, Mr. Nalewaja!

You are the first Cowboy player to have 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in the same game. You may also be the first player anywhere to have EXACTLY 100 yards rushing and receiving in the same game.

Very cool. Kudos, sir.

Double-century games are rather rare. I can only think of a relative handful of times that they've happened at the Class A level, at least in the few thousand games I have researched.

The last prior to Friday? Havre's Casey Schaub against Miles City last season.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+122) 10 years ago
Is it true that Belgrade is moving up to AA next season? I know they are in a down season with a lot of young kids but I don't ever see them being able to compete at the next level.
There has been talk of Belgrade moving to Class AA for years, but it seems like this may finally be the time for them to move up.

As of February, their high school enrollment was 888. The maximum enrollment for Class A is 825. Unless they dropped below that this year (which I doubt), the current 2011-12 school year would have to be their last at Class A. Schools can be above the classification threshold for a maximum of two years, so far as I can tell from the MHSA rulebook.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+122) 10 years ago
Wow thanks Brian. How do you think they will compete in AA?
No problem, Brian.

In terms of football, they'll get their hats handed to them for a few years and then they'll get better.
Brian's question concerning Belgrade jumping to Class AA - and prior conversations with others in regard to Eastern 'A' teams possibly dropping to the Class B level - got me to wondering about the enrollment numbers for the 22 Class A schools. The most recent figures are from February, 2011 and are included in the 2011-12 MHSA handbook (online at http://www.mhsa.org). Eastern 'A' teams are in bold.

Belgrade (888) - Central
Columbia Falls (727) - Northwestern
Laurel (616) - Eastern
Havre (561) - Central
Livingston (549) - Central
Miles City (547) - Eastern
Hamilton (532) - Southwestern
Polson (518) - Northwestern
Browning (510) - Central
Whitefish (492) - Northwestern
Corvallis (456) - Southwestern
Hardin (453) - Eastern
Libby (426) - Northwestern
Frenchtown (390) - Northwestern
Lewistown (378) - Central
Stevensville (367) - Southwestern
Sidney (365) - Eastern
Dillon (363) - Southwestern
Anaconda (354) - Southwestern
Billings Central (341) - Eastern
Glendive (335) - Eastern
Butte Central (135) - Southwestern

It's interesting to note that Butte Central is barely above the Class C threshold (119 students or fewer), but I can't imagine that they'll ever allow themselves to be anything but Class A. Glendive could be playing Class B right now (339 students or fewer). It's even more difficult for me to imagine an Eastern 'A' without Glendive in it, but the same was once said about Glasgow. Billings Central is right on the threshold, but they're gaining students and, like their fellow parochial school Butte Central, would never allow themselves the indignity of dropping in classification. Schools can always opt up to a higher classification if they choose.

The two biggest Class B schools are Ronan (317) and Eureka (314), both of which recently dropped to that classification. The third-largest Class B school is Shepherd (270), but it'll be a few years - if ever - before the Mustangs are in a position to possibly replace the Red Devils in the Eastern 'A.'