Tucker and Glenna Log
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3704) 15 years ago
Glenna, Amanda, Harry and I pulled out of Miles City Thursday at 2:30 PM. As joyous as I had imagined the occasion, I had ambivolent feelings. As exciting as the prospect of our new adventure is, there is no denying that leaving people you have grown to love, trust and depend on is hard at best and more painful than I imagined. We miss you all and if there is any doubt as to our return to Miles City, put it out of your mind.

The new F-250 is comfortable and does the job. The Damon 5th wheel pulls just fine and all of the systems are functional and not too much trouble to deal with but the V-10 exacts a dear price (literally) for towing the load.

We are only as far as Whitehall. We had some family commitments in Butte and visited with good friends in Whitehall. We are leaving in the morning and will probably stop in Calgary. I will add more as the adventure continues and as the journey becomes less pedestrian as I suspect most of you have been as far as Butte.
Posted by Michelle (+42) 15 years ago
So glad you re living your dream. Many people do not get to do that. I bet Calgary is beautiful. Enjoy your new adventure. Hope to hear from you again soon.
Posted by Kara (+28) 15 years ago
Hope your adventure is all you have dreamed of and more! Tucker, we miss your sweet face and in the heart of Kafe Utza is a huge space that only you can fill! We love you all and wish you well!
Love, Kafe Utza
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1505) 15 years ago
Hi, Have fun and be safe. It was good seeing you last week when I was pedaling to work. You left in time to miss some of the heat. Think of us when you are enjoying the cooler temperatures up north. See you in the autumn.

Marshall
Posted by MR (+392) 15 years ago
I'm out of the loop !!!! Who has the store ? Where are you going ? Good Luck !
founder
supporter
We are in Grand Prarie, Alberta and have stopped for the night. Alberta is beautiful from end to end and Canadians couldn't be more accomodating. It is cooling off and staying light later into the evening as might be expected. The coffee here is great but it ain't Cafe Utza. We have been paying $1.07 per litre for gas.

We stopped early today and are giving it a rest, going to see Pirates of the Carribian (sp?) and hitting the sack early. Our son, Sean is anxious for our arrival and calls once a day with a fishing report and tell of the days golf.

Consider this a big hug from us to you and I will keep you posted in more detail when time permits. I have some great stories to share in greater detail. Peace
founder
supporter
3300 miles later and voila, here we are in Anchorage. Canada is richer and of this I am sure. No matter if you eat or fill up with gas, the end result is the same. You hand them a large wad of colorful bills, they shove it in a drawer and give you back a few coins. The price of fuel ranged from $1.19 to as high as $1.39 per litre, depending on how remote you are and it is easy to be remote in Canada and the Yukon.

The wildlife and scenery are spectacular, particularly in Northern BC and southern Yukon. We managed to keep track and did see Black Bear, Caribou, lynx, wild horses, moose, elk and the list goes on.

The road work was the biggest problem and I am sure they no sooner have the frost heaves repaired then winter rolls in and they start all over in the spring. My grand father used to say, regarding Colorado "the two seasons are summer and road work". That must be what it is up here. Oh! two days ago the motor on the fifth wheel that removes it from the bed of the truck went out so that has been a hand crank operation, Rats. Other than that and averaging 7.5 mpg all has gone swimmingly.

It is 11:20PM and I have two days worth of road grime to scrape off before I turn in. I will post some photos, someplace, somehow and let you know how to access. I miss you all and am sorry that I am not the journalist my friend Rex is and Lenox it is time that you go to bed, you little twit.
Posted by kent fandrich (+120) 15 years ago
We are so glad you decided to share your trip bit by bit with all of us! We are enjoying your updates along the way and are looking forward to those pics. Hope all goes well for both of you and have a great time!
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 15 years ago
Tucker,

7.5 MPG is the price you pay for that V-10 and horsepower. That's what happens when you're not willing to go up that hill slow. Did I ever tell you about my trip from West Virginia to California in a farm truck? 45 mph top speed, but the mileage was not so bad for a two ton truck built in 1964. The passes took forever; and going down the other side with multi-pump brakes was a thrill!

Hope you're having a good time- find Glenna some salmon berries!
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+402) 15 years ago
Tucker and Glenna,

What a wonderful idea it is sharing your newest adventure with those of us who love you. I restarted chemo, gained 12 pounds. Feeling good. Looking great. My family and Joseph all went home. Everybody will be back at the end of August. Rick Bishop, the bass gutarist who came out with Eric had his first heart attack at 50. Thankfully, he will survive.

Thanks again too for the wonderful song you sang for me on the 4th. I went online and downloaded the lyrics.What a pefect moment.

Hugs and more hugs,

Johnnie Lou Lockett Thomas
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 15 years ago
Johnnie:

Super to hear you're doing well. Please update your many fans here re: your progress. Hadn't seen a post from you in a while and was fearing the worst.

Hug right back at you...
founder
supporter
Hey JLT, I'm glad you are feeling perky. It is probably all of the rigors of visiting Montana that was a strain on Ricks heart. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Well after a good nights sleep, Glenna and I have decided on a day of laundry and lethargy. The 5th wheel is unhooked the first load is in the machine and the grand kids are rolling all over each other. The plan for the day is to not have one and see what comes. I will go to the bank and get rid of what Canadaian money we didn't leave at fuel stops along the way.

In a couple of days I will go on the search for a few places to play some music. Sean, my son, knows of a couple places that might be cool.

for those of you that would like to keep in touch my e-mail address is [email protected]
Posted by Art Jacobsen (+48) 15 years ago
Tucker and Glenna,

If jealousy was valuable I'd be a rich man. Enjoy.
founder
supporter
OMG!!!!!What are the odds? I walked into a coffee shop today, Side Street Espresso, in the heart of downtown Anchorage and heard what sounded like Shea Stewart, playing the blues. It was Shea, as I live and breath. I intoduced myself to the owner and his wife, George and Deborah Gee. They allowed as how our friends Phil and Deb Smith had left this CD with them from some open mic night at a book store in Miles City Montana. One of Deb's wall hangings was proudly displayed as well. It truely is a small world. I am sure that Phil left the CD there when he was on his Guy Clark journey.

We enjoyed conversation and coffee. I assured George That I would chronicle the event and as I walked out the door, I heard a familiar voice. It was my own voice, singing to friends at Miles City Books {AKA Fandango Hot Club}. I had a sudden urge to sit with my friends at Cafe Utza, enjoy a double americano and think about learning something new to play on friday night. It's funny how simple things can tug at your heart strings.

I was trying to decide on which highlight to share. The fresh halibut and black sea bass my son cooked last night, Shopping with my wife and grand daughter or planning our salmon fishing trip. Walking into Side Street Espresso took all of the guess work away.

Embrace the changes you have brought about. Cherish the past. Look toward the future and never forget how unique and special you are. I am sure that I will spend more time in George and Deborahs fine coffee shop and That I will be thinking of you all. Lenox, be sweet to your little brother.
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+133) 15 years ago
Tucker,
Glad to hear that you all are enjoying your vacation. It's really neat to hear about the CD from Friday nights at the book store. Have fun with your traveling and keep us posted. I learn a lot about what is going on at home through this site.
Best wishes from Iraq,
Lynne
Posted by Mayor (+132) 15 years ago
Tucker,

You're a hoot...and a magnet for serendipity!
founder
supporter
Well, I was back downtown this AM and had a coffee and a scone at the Side Street Espresso. I also stood in front of the Alaska Cam and gave my friend John a wave back in Miles City. The coffee was passable but the scone sure made me miss Utza's baked goods. It was tastey but had the consistancy of a styrafoam box.

We are making prepairation for my daughter in law, Kirstens birthday. That means the girls went shopping and My son and I played golf. Monday evening I am going to play music at Humpy's open mic. It is a great eating and drinking establishment. I will be a little nervous as I will be among strangers.

There is a huge (26 foot) bore tide coming in this afternoon. I think I will run around the corner to Cook Inlet and check it out.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LENOX!!!!!
founder
supporter
Humpy's on a Monday night is not like the Fandango on Friday night. I called earlier in the day to find out the drill. The lady that I spoke to on the phone said "the sign up sheet goes up at 8:00 and we start playing at 9:00". As usual I was early. The first indicator I had was the parking. I parked three blocks away. When I walked through the door, diners and tourists were elbow to elbow. The din of one person shouting over the next to be heard mingled with the clanking of glasses and blotted out the rock and roll that blarred from the speaker system that ran throughout the 4000 square foot eatery and spilled onto the outdoor seating area adjoining the alley in back.

My Son and a friend appeared about 8:30 and still no sign of the sign up guy. We stood in a tight group around the one vacated bar stool we could find and eyed the tables for any sign of someone leaving. We finally ordered a fine IPA and continued to eye the area for some elbow room and a place to sit our glasses. Finally our (very attractive, I must add} waitress pointed towards a table that was being vacated, not to far from the stage and we hovered around and swooped in as the previous tennants headed towards the door.

I finally got on the list. Jarrod, the sign up guy and sound man arrived five minutes before "open mic" was to begin. I was third on the list. I kept thinking, people will be finishing dinner and things will quiet down before we start. Jarrod started with a couple of songs and then the listed performers.

It has been said and often mis-quoted "music hath the power to sooth the savage beast". That is just a crock of moose droppings. It only fueled the competition for volume and...well...I will stop there and just say. I still think that Humpy's is a great place to have fantastic halibut tacos, drink a good locally brewed beer and enjoy the local color but I need continue my search for a more intimate music venue. Was the open mic good?.....who knows? I didn't hear them. I know we played and I met a delightful young man from Missoula who just arrived two days ago. Humpy's was his first open mic experience in Alaska as well. We exchanged information and agreed to call the other if we discovered a better place to play.

Lennox, how is being three treating you?
Posted by Blake Reese (+12) 15 years ago
Hey Tucker and Glenna (i'm sure i'll meet you sometime soon)
and everyone else.

I'm feeling especially delightful after reading your log. This is the first time I've ever contributed to any such thing. I wanted to briefly say that it meant a lot to me, today, when I recieved your phone call to keep in touch. During my recent travels, I have decided to try to keep up with some of the nice people I meet and, so far, have yet to call any of the numbers I have written down. Perhaps you calling me is just the inspiration I need. Have a great time in Seward and don't forget to spend enough of it with your guitar.

Blake
founder
supporter
Blake is the young man I met from Montana. He is a talented young singer, song writer and I hope our paths cross again

I was in George Gee's, Side Street Espresso again today. He allowed as how another Miles Citian came through yesterday. Her name is Mary and she is an attractive twenty something person. Who could that be???? Got any ideas? He said she was leaving thursday. I'm sorry I didn't make connection.

Well, Tomorrow we are off down the Seward highway and headed for a couple of weeks in the wilds of Kenai. I don't know if the people we are house sitting for have a computer or not (some people don't).If they do, I will keep in touch. If not, I will catch up in a couple of weeks. I hope to have great fish tales and a bear story or two.

The high here will be 68 degrees today. I don't know if that cools you off or not but it sure makes me feel good. TTFN

Lennox! get your dirty shoes off of that sofa.
Posted by jackie (+161) 15 years ago
hey, tucker, how i envy you right now being in cool (weather) territory. I think i forgot how 70's feel. You are missing the hot, hot and hot weather.

Interesting to hear about your open mic experience. Fandango is definitely much more intimate. Others seem more like a karoke night at the bar. I think my ears still are buzzing from my missouri trip. Been checking the ones out in Northern Colorado area. Just doesn't have the same flavor. me thinks we are a bit spoiled and very lucky.

Happy searching and traveling.
founder
supporter
We're back! Bears... I can't believe it after three days of house sitting and walking with our grand daughter to a small lake a couple of times to swim (Brrrrr) we recieved a call from a neighbor. A female griz with two cubs had attacked a woman, her daughter and in a seperate incedent mauled a dog, one block from the cabin we were sitting. I was just kidding about the bear story I posted earlier. I had no idea we would be bear bait for real. I didn't leave the house without being armed after that.

We enjoyed our time on the Kenai but didn't slay the fish as we had hoped. Glenna cought a pretty nice salmon and I managed to luck into a beautiful rainbow trout. The silvers are just starting to run and the reds are slowing down. perhaps we will give it another go in a week or two.

We spent a day in Homer during our stay and had a great time. Homer is a very cool seaport and the halibut capital of the world. We dined on halibut and chips for lunch and it was fantastic. Halibut is the sweetest, mildest fish on the planet. As for me, I will take it over salmon any day.

We are enjoying our stay and are thinking about spending the winter but you all must know that we love you and miss you all something awful. Miles City Rocks (I'm serious, it does.)

Lennox, LENNOX!!! pay attention and put your brother down.
founder
Sounds like the two of you are enjoying life. If you get yourself a large fat salmon trim out the cheeks and saute them with a little olive oil in a pan. They melt like butter in your mouth. I'm jealous and want to come fishing with you. Winter in Alaska? Brrr.
founder
supporter
Bears, again, I can't believe it. The dogs went nuts last night. When we went out to see what was going on the neighbor was hauling his kid in from the back yard. There was a black bear just over the fence eating berries and generally creating havoc along the walking trail behind the house. He seemed quite unpreturbed and ambled away. Never a dull moment.
founder
supporter
OK, it is driving me nuts. Who is the Mary that was up here in Anchorage, visiting? I know that she has returned to MC and was going to get together with Phil and Deb Smith upon her return. I missed meeting or seeing her while we were on the Kenai. Someone? anyone?

Fandango til you can't no mo.

Hi Lucious.

John, show Scott how to use the computer.
Posted by gypsykim (+1562) 15 years ago
Tucker--I believe it was Mary Hegel--daughter of Joe and Marielaine Hegel.
founder
supporter
Yep, I'll bet you are right. They were just up here to visit her. Thanks for the info.

Hey Joe, I know you are busy but I would sure love an update on whats happening at Fandango.
Posted by JOE WHALEN (+619) 15 years ago
Tucker & Glenna:

I've decided not to send you those grisly grizzly pics, after all, after hearing of your close encounters up there. I guess we've confirmed that age-old question about what bears do in the woods. Watch your step...

The Fandango lives. Though we're taking a break from Open Mic this Friday, Sean McChesney will try to break the piano on Saturday night before he packs it in to Missoula. Should be a cool send off.

The Magic City Blues Festival happens this weekend, as does the No Woodstock Festival in Ten Sleep, Wy. (nowoodstock.com) hosted by Jalan Crossland. I'm headed to Ten Sleep. This guy Crossland is from Ten Sleep and is opening most of Robert Earl Keen's western states dates this summer. His scene might best be described as neo-westerbilly and I like it. He's drawing a young crowd with smart lyrics and turning them on to string band music.

We had a fine going away party for Annelise a few weeks ago before she returned to France. She was delivered to the store by horse & carriage. Chet Holmes was all spiffed up in period driver gear. Good crowd, great food. Annelise and Jana played a song that Annelise wrote for Miles City. Most of the lyrics were in French and most of us were smitten. We'll miss her.

It's, well, summertime so it's pretty warm. Love playing in the park but I'm looking forward to coming back indoors after it cools down. Your spot on the stage is reserved.
founder
supporter
I will be back to occupy it. Oh yes, I will. Perhaps you could have an open mic night for Lennox. I'm sure he is convinced, he is capable. I'm sure that Sean will bring his entourage and put on a great show.

I've been working on some of Taj Mahals music to bring back with me. I guess Jeff has been on my mind. I haven't found a place that is comfortable as yet but will continue to play when I can.

Thanks for the update. Maybe we can start an air conditioner fund for Fandango. I hope the crowds have been good in the park.
founder
Tucker,

I believe your pickup has sold. I've seen a young guy driving it around with a temporary paper in the window. Any progress on selling the van, yet?

Chad.
founder
supporter
Everything and I mean everything is more expensive here. This is not a place for a slacker like myself to consider retirement. The growing season is short so produce is through the roof. Milk is produced in only one place and is over $4.00 a gallon. Everything has to travel to get here and I suppose you could expect a reasonable mark up for that but yesterday we went to the movies. Holy crap! I really missed the Montana theater.

Lets start with the ticket. We went to the "bargain" matinee. The , before 5PM price was $6.75. The regular price was $9.75. That is sixty bucks for six tickets. Now, if you wanted a tasty beverage and popcorn, well, just bend over and hang on. Popcorn started at $3.75 for a small and you could get the "bargain" size for $5.75. Sodas were $2.50, $3.75 and the "bargin", a pitence at only $4.25.

It was a typical multiplex with six screens, the seats were comfortable and I suppose I shouldn't complain. It just seems that one hundred plus dollars for six people to snack and see a movie is excessive.

Please keep in mind that this tirade is coming for an ageing curmudgeon that remembers $.29 gas and $.25 movies. When I was a kid, Mom would send me to the store with a dollar for bread, milk and smokes and I got to keep the change. OMG, I remember cringing when my dad would say "when I was a kid".

I miss you all and look forward to my return.

Lennox! spit your little brother out. You don't know where he's been.
Posted by Kara (+28) 15 years ago
Tucker and Glenna,
Just a reminder that the coffee is hot and the scones are fresh! Tucker, it's been so long that your sweet face is fading from my memory so come home we miss you!
Love, Kara
founder
Tucker,

I fully expect you to learn the Lyle Lovett song "Bears" one of these days. It sounds like it will fit your life experiences recently.
founder
supporter
Thanks Chad, I am aware of the song. Kara I am looking forward to redeeming the coupons you gave us before we left. We are planning our return and will update as soon as we have details. I hope you guys have water when we return. I've read about the trouble with the old tower.
founder
supporter
Well, we've had enough of Alaska and not nearly enough of Miles City, Montana. We will head home Thursday or Friday and should be home five or six days after that. See you then.
supporter
Posted by Terry Hanson (+2392) 15 years ago
Tucker~~When you travel through Tok Junction you might call my half brother, Ted Hanson. I believe he's a mechanic. My stepmother, Bea Hanson also lives there, as I did back in 1956-57. Have fun on the highway. I always kind of enjoyed the Pink Mountain area. Cheers~~Terry
founder
I hear the Bolton's are back in town today- has anyone spotted them out and about?

Welcome back Glenna & Tucker, your humor and wit have been sorely missed.