Sister Ruth Crop Hunger Walk
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
The annual walk is on for Sunday, October 2nd, 1 PM at Wibaux Park. More info at http://www.cropwalkonline...ilescitymt
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
There will be a one mile and about a 3 mile or 5 km. We again will have music, refreshments and you can bring your dog if he or she is well-behaved and on a leash.
Top
Posted by Kacey (+3157) 10 years ago
Where does the money you raise go? Is it staying in Miles City?
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
25 percent of the money goes to the Custer County Food Bank. The other 75% goes to Chuch world Service which serves hungry people in other places, for example New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and Kenya during the current famine. Church World Service is a organization of 37 different Christian groups. They serve by linking with local church groups. They started in 1947 by Midwest farmers and chuches who felt that they had excess grain and could share it overseas with Europeans desvastated by WWII. The first CROP stood for Christian Relief Overseas Program. Reflecting the growth and serving all over the world, the new acronym stands for Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty. I believe that we have an abundance of food here in Miles City, and I can share it with others less fortunate. More detailed information at: http://www.churchworldservice.org or
http://www.cropwalkonline...ilescitymt
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
Thanks to 26 different businesses in Miles City supporting the Sister Ruth Crop Walk. They are listed on the website.
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
Time again for Sister Ruth stories. What are your memories of Sister Ruth?
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
I remember that Sister Ruth walked all over town. She was known for collecting aluminum cans. Two Miles Citians said that she was always encouraging and complimentary, but would call too early, for example at 6:30 AM to wish you a Happy Birthday. Sister Ruth didn't want people to talk about "your church" or "my church" but preferred to say "our church."
Top
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+306) 10 years ago
There is a radio interview about the walk at katl radio
http://www.katlradio.com/
Click on KATL live and then the Sept 21st podcast.
Top