Speaker's Bureau: Ed Kemmick
Posted by Beth Oswald (+278) 10 years ago
In cooperation with Humanities Montana, the Miles City Speakers Bureau will be featuring Montana Journalist, Ed Kemmick, twice on Wednesday, September 21. He will present at noon in Room 106 at Miles Community College for a "brown-bag lunch" program and again at the Miles City Public Library at 7 PM. These presentations are free and open to the public.

Partial funding for the Speakers Bureau program is provided by the MC Speakers Bureau partners, the Miles City AAUW, and a legislative grant from Montana's Cultural Trust and from NEH's "We the People" program.

Here, for the first time, is the collected work of one of Montana's leading journalists, "The Big Sky, By and By: True Tales, Real People and Strange Times in the Heart of Montana." Kemmick, the City Lights columnist at The Billings Gazette, brings humor and deep empathy to his subjects, making them every bit as vivid for readers as they were when Kemmick sat down to talk with them.

In timeless pieces spanning an award-winning career, he tells a contemporary story of Montana through the eyes of everyday, extraordinary people who define the rugged individuality and big-hearted kindness of the Big Sky State. Among the tales are those of Dobro Dick, the traveling troubadour from Livingston; Maryona Johnson, who ran a brothel in Miles City; Shirley Smith, the cowboy curator from Fromberg who meticulously maintains the state's rodeo traditions; and Evel Knievel, who even in death gave his hometown of Butte another thrill (and a hell of an afterparty).

For more information, please call Beth Oswald at (406) 874-6164.
If you have never had the good fortune to listen to Ed speak, prepare to be entertained. He is not only a very talented writer, but an engaging speaker. He is very excited to be coming to Miles City and has stories in his book that are taken from some Miles City "characters."
Posted by Joe Whalen (+619) 10 years ago
Great idea, Beth! This should be a good one.
I agree Joe. I am very excited for this. I had the pleasure of meeting Ed and "hanging out" a bit with him at a mutual friend's party in Billings when I lived there. He is amazing. Even my Dad liked his column. He emailed Ed once and said that "even though he was a democrat, he had a pretty good column and seemed to be a clear thinker." Ed had a good laugh over that "compliment."
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3267) 10 years ago
Don't miss this! I have read the book and it is so great. Ed K. is a wonderful writer and I love his enjoyment of the people he writes about. Kudos to the Speaker's Bureau.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11957) 10 years ago
Ed's a hoot!
We hope to have a large crowd for this on Wednesday.
founder
supporter
Posted by Gene Larson (+278) 10 years ago
You'll love Ed. he's a real "down to earth" guy! I had the pleasure of being interviewed by him a few years back and no one could have written a better article about a "plain Joe" than he did!
(He can make a crack in the sidewalk sound like a Grand Canyon Tour)!
I can hardly wait to read his book. He certainly has a soft spot for Miles City. Please welcome him!
Ed will have books with him available for signing and purchase.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11957) 10 years ago
I plan to be there this evening!