How do you really know who you hire?
Posted by livemc (+7) 11 years ago
In the world of "Angie's List" and "background checks" it's so hard still to know who and how safe the person is that you might hire to come in your home to do a job. References help and word of mouth....

So FYI: [deleted] (new to MC) has been busted on 3 Felony counts of Drug Distribution.

Go with who you know not who someone says they are!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 11 years ago
Seeing that you joined MC.COM Sept 6th (yesterday) to post this and you didn't use your real name, that seems a tad unfair...Just sayin...
Check the courthouse, public record. I'm just saying I wouldn't want someone like that working in my grandmother's house. Knowledge is power to protect one's self and family.
supporter
Being a grandma myself, I can safely say that being "busted" and being convicted are often different, plus in some states if you hand a smoke to someone else from an illegal cigarette (grass), that is considered being a drug distributor....I would hire this person if I needed, if his references checked out otherwise (like his work with wood floors)...
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
It doesn't matter their record. If they do their job the best, that is what matters.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 11 years ago
How naive some people are. How much do you suppose it costs to do drugs today? And if the person is still using drugs and needs money things will disappear. If you've been charged three times odds are you probably are doing drugs. And WHY would you be handing a joint to someone if you weren't smoking it yourself?
supporter
Kacey, my point was that I, personally, don't care if someone smokes a joint...I am for legalization of the whole issue anyway...To me, at least, drinking, in excess, is far worse...Mountains out of mole hills...and as I remember, our judicial system requires that an accused person has the right to face their accuser, which they cannot do with someone who isn't using their real name...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4463) 11 years ago
How naive some people are? How about, judge not lest ye be judged? I'm sure you have no youthful indiscretions in your past and I have no idea who you are, but I'm certain you couldn't push a pin up your butt. You don't know if this guy sold some grass fifty years ago or yesterday, the only acknowledgement livemc should get for this is a big F U for bothering to come out of his cave today. Everybody, go check your eyes for planks.
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+476) 11 years ago
I use "Yelp" when I make decisions about Plumbers and home caregivers and the like (luckily in Miles City there is a lot of word of mouth as well). I don't really like to take chances with things with all of the ripoff artists out there in this bad economy. Even people who don't do drugs (or get busted anyway)could potentially steal from you or your Grandma, so don't leave things like valuable jewelry lying around as a rule of thumb (I even lock up the ipod and the laptop when I go out). Although we tend to hire friends we trust to do stuff, I have a friend from North Carolina who thinks this town is full of thieves after she had a dogsitter empty out their liquor cabinet while they were on vacation (including aged bourbon and top of the line champagne). She also was talking about how her Grandma in NC had several pieces of valuable jewery stolen out of a jewelry box on her dresser by a plumber. Apparently neither of these thieves had any sort of a felony record. I think I would have a hard time hiring people to come in my house without my supervision after hearing those stories (however, I probably have less chance of losing things since what little jewery I have is locked in a fireproof safe and I don't buy $250 bottles of champagne!)
Posted by Cheryl Pieters (+476) 11 years ago
Also, I do think it is a good idea to get more facts about the drug convictions. I know some pretty nice, trustworthy people in Miles City who have had the misfortune of getting arrested for selling pot to undercover agents. I am another one of those people who don't think people who smoke MJ or grow it and sell it to others are evil criminals. However, I once had the misfortune of watching a good friend go down the path of Crystal Meth, and I no longer trust anyone who has that look about them. Today we were having a fun time at the bowling alley and when a sketchy looking guy who was obviously high on meth came in we were a lot less careless with our purses and things and even put them in a locker. Experience has shown me to be very wary of them.....
Posted by Rocky (+185) 11 years ago
True to that! Yes some people do follow their past convictions, but a lot of them came from when they were young/before children. I know someone who has felony drug convictions, but that was before they had kids. They no longer do drugs/alcohol, and are just trying to support their family, but because of these past convictions they have such a hard time finding a job to support their children. And that person is a good worker. Just sad that it has to be that way. Maybe if you need have a couple of interviews instead of one, get to know that person and ask them about their convictions and how they happened. You might be surprised to find they are a good person, just used to hang with the wrong crowd, etc.
Drug Charges where brought in Aug. 2011 there was also an assault committed in May 2011. Newly relocated here in Nov. 2010.

The local dept. is a great place to check these things out versus internet, it leaves much less to the imagination.

Yes people due change, but there are a lot of people in need of work that have always managed to stay out of trouble that have kids/family to support.

People hire whoever one feels comfortable with. Just don't let a persistant salesman in your house.
supporter
if Drug charges were "brought", that doesn't necessarily mean conviction...
My relative punched another man after the other man was putting down a young lady that was overweight...the other guy crawled out of the river he landed in after the punch, and pressed charges of assault...I, personally, think the guy needed punching after leaving the young lady in tears with his teasing about her weight...You simply cannot go by the "official record"...
Posted by Roy Simanton (+62) 11 years ago
It is not illegal to call someone fat. Just saying!
supporter
but it is very hurtful to call a teenager that, when they are struggling with their own identity issues...anyone that is capable of being so insensitive, deserves a pop in the nose...Just sayin'
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
I think that it's obvious from the complete lack of evidence one way or another that this convicted criminal is the salt of the earth! I propose that we name a street after them!
supporter
LOL, Levi....Count me in...
Howdy, just because you are sensitive doesn't mean you can bend the rules.
supporter
Whatever, Roy, to me punching someone in the nose, isn't bending the rules, it is a defensive move against being verbally assaulted by a very cruel person...so in the words of the Gods, don't let your alligator mouth overwelm your hummingbird ass....

[This message has been edited by howdy (9/10/2011)]
Then don't complain after the police slap an assault on your buddy.
supporter
I didn't complain, just answered the question about the person discussed in this thread having a potential assault charge and how that might in some cases be justifiable...I see reading comprehension might not be your best subject...