The flumes?
founder
Posted by KELLY BABCOCK (+185) 10 years ago
I was talking to someone, who like myself left Miles City a good time ago, and the conversation got around to the "flumes" that we have seen mentioned on the forums. Neither one of us knew where they are, or exactly what they are. Will someone take the time to enlighten us? We would appreciate it.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 10 years ago
It's the elevated portion of the irrigation ditch as it goes over Log Creek south of town. I believe it is posted "no trespassing" (which is just as well).
Posted by Georgina Phipps (+20) 10 years ago
It is a water bridge on the TY ditch about half way to 12mile.
The water is going into a halfe culvert you jump in and shoot out the end into rapids very fun. But is against the law and kind of dangerous.
admin
founder
Yeah, what Georgina said. You jump in one end, try not to get smacked in the face by railroad ties as you get sucked through it, then shoot out the end and try to grab a rope so you don't drown. Great fun if you like danger. And cow pee.
founder
Posted by KELLY BABCOCK (+185) 10 years ago
Thank you, Larry and Georgina. We couldn't imagine what anything that looked like the log flumes we are familiar with, would be doing around Miles City. Your description explains a great deal tho; it could have been there when we were, however we were such well behaved, and angelic children, we wouldn't have been involved in anything "dangerous and illegal." {Did I just hear the BS alarm go off?} Actually it sounds like it might have been fun. Now, a ride like that is going to cost a fair piece of change at a water park.
Thanx again!
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 10 years ago
Remember them well except their location. Do not remember a rope, but I could not swim so always went with able bodied friends. Did some other risky things also when I was a teen in Miles City. Anyone else ride the railroad tracks over any trestles?
Never told my parents, never told my kids.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17053) 10 years ago
Here is a link to a Google maps satellite view of "the flumes". Highway 59 is just to the right of this view. It's poor quality but it gives you an idea as to location and what it is.

http://maps.google.com/ma...6&t=h&z=19
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 10 years ago
http://www.flickr.com/pho...hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/pho...otostream/

From our webmaster's flickr photos.

FH

[This message has been edited by Frank Hardy (8/31/2011)]
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+518) 10 years ago
I have hunted around and under them wet and dry and they totally creep me out hearing the stories of "riding" them. I even know my son went out to do it once, but I believe he was told the water was too high, and driving out there to get him. Not to say he probably tried it at least one other time. Now that I know the property owners I know they live in fear of someone being seriously hurt, or worse and would respect their wishes to stay off.
admin
founder
Frank: Thanks. I forgot those were at Flickr. I actually have one *good* photo of it somewhere, but where I don't know.
Posted by Kari (+111) 10 years ago
Ah the flumes. I remember those days. My mother would always get upset that we were out of town playing on those!
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 10 years ago
aqua-man
Posted by steve Larson (+31) 10 years ago
Hangin' off the rope with a pair of ski's was way too much fun.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+116) 10 years ago
It was at the 8 mile marker right below the hill. You would shoot through the half pipe and come out the end into the water. You had to kind of push yourself off the end to get over the concrete wall they put in to reduce erosion by breaking up the down stream from the flume. I loved doing that but I can see how dangerous it is.