Signs on Utility Poles
Posted by MeiMei (+168) 10 years ago
Citizens of Miles City

Please consider doing your advertising for yard sales and other events in ways other than taping or tacking flyers or signs to
utility poles.

1. Many of those signs stay forever and as the tape ages, it becomes hard to remove and leaves a sticky residue or stain. It does cost your tax dollars for workers to clean those poles. Tax dollars and workers' hours that could be used in more important areas of our city.

2. Signs that are nailed to wooden poles continually can cause damage to the pole which can be a safety issue for utility workers.

3. We have excellent media available at reasonable prices that can more effectively spread your message.

Thank you in advance.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4944) 10 years ago
Posted by little brother (+65) 10 years ago
ya, the boss has spoken. quit doing what you have been doing for 50 years. the tax dollors are just being wasted. jeezzz.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 10 years ago
I'm with you little brother, the status quo is ALWAYS the best thing.
Not the boss.

Just a regular citizen who knows there is some pride in the workers who take care of the utility poles and it makes them sad.
The status quo is not always the best way to do things. I am really not sure if anyone can read some of the flyers I took off a utility pole today.

I know if anyone driving a car tried it would cause an accident. However, we are all entitled to our own perspectives.
If the status quo is better, at least go back and take the signs down when your event is over.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
Seriously, it is common courtesy to take down yard sale signs. How hard can it be?
Posted by little brother (+65) 10 years ago
a staple or a piece of tape dosen't hurt a pole, they are treated. they don't climb poles anymore they use a lift. You must of had community service.
I am sorry I forgot about the use of bucket trucks and I realize the poles are treated so I guess our wooden poles are safe. I also am not sure what you mean about community service. I have had one speeding ticket in my life but paid the fine.

My message here is about pride in the appearance of our community. I find the torn, faded signs and sticky glue residue as something that just does not look good. Most signs are on streets used by our citizens and our visitors.

I have also heard there is actually state ordinances against the use of unauthorized signs on state highways which would include Main and Haynes. Aside from the ordinance, if someone felt the need for signage, again at least remove the signs after the event.

I have seen some very nice signs posted on the poles- the HRH Foundation carnival signs looked great- and I also noticed they were removed after the event.

If someone puts them up, they should take them down and be sure to take the tape residue also. The poles on the Main/Strevell light were probably chosen to look as nice as possible with the area where it is placed and it looks very nice with a nice clean black surface.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 10 years ago
Meimei, who are you to infringe upon little brother's right to post bills upon any surface that he sees fit? PUT UP THE SIGN!!!!
Bridgier, I am sorry you need to shout. My hearing is fine and I thought you had better manners. I might be someone you know from a long time ago.

I am done commenting on this. Someone who I think a lot of has to clean those poles and I thought I might make a kind plea for the help of a community to care for our city.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 10 years ago
er... kidding?
supporter
Posted by SeptyTwo (+674) 10 years ago
Posted by Gomer (+45) 10 years ago
Holy crap Amorette I actually agree with you on something. If you put it up, come back and take it down. Just plain common courtesy.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
SeptyTwo, that is awesome! Thanks for the laugh.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (8/26/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 10 years ago
I agree that those signs are tacky and troublesome. It's illegal here. Is it in Miles City? If so, cite a few folks and get the word out. After all, they should be easy to find.
Posted by Cynthia A. (+197) 10 years ago
it is simple. leave something either the way you found it or better.
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+289) 10 years ago
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+711) 10 years ago
A number of years ago the police were isusing citations and warnings.
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+711) 10 years ago
Duncan, think back to 5th grade.
Posted by BD (+330) 10 years ago
I agree if you post a sign take it down, if not then the police should go and take the sign back to the home that is listed on it and fine them for littering. Maybe then people would not leave them up for weeks on end.
Posted by jerseygirl (+564) 10 years ago
And then somebody would make up a bunch of signs with the addresses on of people they don't like and put them up all over town...sweet revenge when those innocent people are ticketed. I say if you see some old sign or something that you don't like, take a minute and remove it yourself!
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 10 years ago
Just a reminder that women are not to be trifled with...