Milk prices are also high
Posted by Leann (+179) 10 years ago
People are talking about gas prices being high, has anyone noticed the jump in milk?
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+758) 10 years ago
It was predicted some time ago that rampant inflation would follow the recession and cause it to double dip.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 10 years ago
Of course milk prices are high.... the cow jumped over the moon.

Another "udderly" ridiculous joke.
Posted by Gm. Bonine (+92) 10 years ago
is that the best you cud come up with?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 10 years ago
"Inflation" is a rather nebulous term here. It's certainly not due to the Fed printing money or deficit spending. It has more to do with the cost of feed and the abysmal harvest in other parts of the country.

Get used to it - food costs are expected to rise sharply over the next couple of years.
Posted by Melita (+335) 10 years ago
If it were up to me (and it's not) I would rather have a dairy "real cow's milk" anywhere I go... Now, they claim it's illegal to do such a thing! I sure miss my "real" cows milk!
Posted by GCC (-607) 10 years ago
That's bullcrap Bridgier and you know it, increasing the money supply does increase inflation. The Democrats policy is to inflate ourselves out of this fiscal problem and hope the American people are to naive to realize the cause and effect of their policy.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2745) 10 years ago
And the Republicans spend, spend, spend until a Democrat is in office.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17521) 10 years ago
WTAE Team 4: Man Who Drank Local Raw Milk Got Sick, Paralyzed

PITTSBURGH -- Like organic vegetables and fruit, raw milk purchased from local farms has become more popular in western Pennsylvania. But food safety experts say it comes with a risk.

Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons reported that the Orchard family of Mars, Butler County, claims 67-year old Jim Orchard drank a bottle of raw milk and is now in intensive care, unable to move.

"They were saying the health benefits, and it was a healthy thing to do, and we like the taste of it," said Orchard's wife, Maureen.

The Orchards purchased their milk from Pasture Maid Creamery in New Castle. They didn't know that state officials told consumers in February 2009 to discard Pasture Maid Creamery's milk because it contained pathogenic bacteria -- and last month, it happened again.

State health officials say approximately 10 people became ill after drinking raw milk from Pasture Maid Creamery. Among them were Maureen Orchard, her husband, Jim, and her daughter.

Everyone got well except Jim Orchard, who was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a disorder that attacks the nervous system. He's paralyzed at UPMC Presbyterian hospital.

"Nobody can give you a timeline. With everyone, it's different. And he needs extensive physical therapy, and what that will entail, we have no idea," Maureen Orchard said.

Paul Hoge, from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, said state law allows dairy farms to sell raw milk, but he doesn't recommend buying it.

"We have done a lot with farm hygiene. Milk is produced in a very hygienic way today on farms -- tremendous quality, in terms of milk, for pasteurization -- but when you take out that pasteurization, that final step, then you have no room for error," Hoge said.

The state agriculture department has suspended the milk production permit of Pasture Maid Creamery.

Team 4 left several messages for farm owner Adam Dean. Those messages were not returned.

Parsons reported that there has been some scientific research indicating raw milk can help people who have asthma and can be more easily digested than pasteurized and homogenized milk, but food safety people say it's not worth the risk of contracting a foodborne illness.

WTAE PITTSBURGH:
Team 4: Man Who Drank Local Raw Milk Got Sick, Paralyzed
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 10 years ago
Pasteurization is one of those things that came in to existence in response to a problem. Raw milk is a fabulous place to grow things like typhoid and cholera and other horrible bugs. IF you want to risk dying from some really nasty diseases, be my guest, but will continue to rejoice in modern sanitation.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+279) 10 years ago
I have been a big fan of milk for many decades now. My ex wife finally convinced me to switch to milk with a lower fat content. Took a few weeks, but now it's "fat free" for me. If I am in a restaurant that serves only 2%, it is quite the shock when I drink it. I can't imagine what the fat content is when it comes straight from the teat. Must be nearly cream?
And yes, milk prices are going up, but gas prices are falling. I use far more gas than I drink milk, so I am ok with that. As long as the producer (read that farmer) is getting a cut of the price increase, we should all be ok with that. And yes, that sounded really stupid before I was even done typing it.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17521) 10 years ago
Regular (not "organic", etc.) milk is going for $2.59 a gallon here in Redmond, these days. $2.49 when it's on sale.

Regular unleaded gas was $3.459 a gallon at a nearby Chevron when I drove by earlier today.

What are prices like in Montana?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 10 years ago
We ship in canned, powdered and shelf-stable milk from Seattle, so I'm not sure of the exact price at the general store. But I think it sells there for around $9 a gallon - I know it's not yet up to 10 bucks or I'd hear people complaining.

I think gas going for around $5.75 this winter. But, I just don't pay much attention to the unit price. When I buy gas I put in $100 worth and figure that will last me until it's time to put in another $100 : -)
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+401) 10 years ago
Our gas prices jumped from $3.04 yesterday morning to $3.39 yesterday afternoon - all over KY, with no reasonable explanation.

milk ranges from $2.54/gal to $3.99; just depends where you buy it.

supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 10 years ago
That's bullcrap Bridgier and you know it, increasing the money supply does increase inflation.

Maybe santa will bring the gift of reading comprehension for christmas.