Attention Beer Snobs
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 10 years ago
I can't wait to try it.

Diageo, makers of famed stout brand Guinness, is trying to make a big splash in the jam-packed US beer market with the entry of its latest product, Guinness Black Lager. The lager has already gone through lengthy trials in Northern Ireland and Malaysia in preparation for its big day in the US. It plans to launch on September 1st, right before the start of the NFL season.

This isn't a gimmick craft beer move by Diageo -- it plans to make a real impact. Americans lagers are dominated by Anheuser Busch and MillerCoors, and that's exactly who Guinness will be competing against by trying to lure lager drinkers away with its wide appeal and taste.

Diageo North America's chief marketing and innovation officer Peter McDonough explained the rationale behind the launch in an interview with Shanken News Daily back in May:
"The fact that the U.S. is only the world's fourth-largest market for Guinness means there's something I'm not doing right. Americans are lager drinkers, and Guinness Stout can be challenging for some people to embrace. But now it's in a liquid profile they love. Guinness Black Lager will appeal to the tastes of American beer drinkers."

Read more: http://www.businessinside...z1Vz5cGLOf
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 10 years ago
Looks good.

I'll be trolling Happy Harry's on/about September 1.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+510) 10 years ago
Happy Harry's! Most of my college tuition went there.
supporter
Happy Harry's! Most of my college tuition went there.

HA!

Where'd the rest of your tuition go? The Red Pepper, Whitey's, or perhaps one of many crud bars in the GF metro area?
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 10 years ago
Friends don't let friends drink lager!
Ken Z
Posted by Gm. Bonine (+92) 10 years ago
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 10 years ago
Personally, as a beer snob, I find this "Guinness Black Lager" to be a cynical ploy by marketing executives to sell as much beer to American macrobrew swillers as they can, with no regards to quality.

I will stick to the original product, served at the proper 50°-55°F cellar temperature, myself.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1432) 10 years ago
I, too, prefer craft or home brews but will admit Guinness is also something I enjoy. Having read a lot of tasting notes and reviews from Europe about this new stuff... it's not looking promising.
supporter
Well, that all might be true. But is has to be better than Busch Lite.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 10 years ago
The target market won't pay $8.99 for a sixer. Busch Light will live on.

Wait, I take that back. The target market will pay $8.99 for a sixer of alcoholic kool-aid for the ladies. Raspberry Guinness, that's where they should aim.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (8/25/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 10 years ago
They probably make this by mixing regular guiness 50/50 with water.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+510) 10 years ago
I lived a block and a half away from The Red Pepper, in a house we affectionately called Candy Land on University. It was also that close to Bonzers and the jazz bar thats name slips my mind at the moment. I missed the old Whiteys and wasn't a fan of the new one. I did like the Blue Moose too. All fond places in my memory.
supporter
I miss the grinders at the Red Pepper. I don't get up to GF often enough.

I used to hang at the El Roco and The Bun. Also used to go to Mr. Spud in EGF, but that's WAYYYYY before your time.

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (8/26/2011)]
supporter
They probably make this by mixing regular guiness 50/50 with water.

From the reviews it seems you might be exactly right. "Watery" was one of the critical notes.
supporter
I have to give whoever stocks the beer cooler at Albertson's a high five today. I walked in there this evening and saw one of my favorite beers which I haven't been able to get in Miles City since I moved back (Newcastle Brown Ale). Then I looked 2 shelves down and saw Sam Adam's Octoberfest (my favorite of their seasonals which I also haven't seen since leaving California). Made my day.
supporter
I got to try the new Guinness brew. IMO, it tastes like extra stout without the heavy "syrupyness". Dan was probably right when he said that it is stout cut with water. The flavor is a little more pronounced that a Guinness draught. It doesn't have the unpleasant slick texture of the draught. It is very tasty and drinkable. It is not quite as memorable as the 250th anniversary beer, which I believe is what they serve in Ireland.
Posted by Steve Allison (+976) 10 years ago
Damn you Richard, now I want to find some so I can try it. Sounds rather tasty.
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+315) 10 years ago
Stout is ale. No amount of water will turn it into lager. It is made with a different process and different type of yeast.
Ken Z
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 10 years ago
Ken, Guinness probably took their regular stout wort, added water, and fermented it with lager yeasr.

This thread annoys me. Beer snobs would never drink this crap.

If you are a beer snob, and a dark beer fan, drink one of these and call me in the morning.......

supporter
If you are a beer snob, and a dark beer fan, drink one of these and call me in the morning.......

Umm, I'm guessing I can't buy that in Southeastern MT or Northeast Wyoming. Looks very interesting.
supporter
Home Brew. Those are the magic words.
supporter
Grabbed a sixer of Guiness Black Lager at Empire Liquors. Drank one, jury's still out. Not sure who they're marketing to? Currently am enjoying a Rogue Chocolate Stout, also procured at Empire.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4458) 10 years ago
Alby's had Newcastle for awhile a couple years ago and then quit selling it. Not sure why, other than they seem to want an arm and a leg for it compared to what it sells for outside MC.

Other times when I feel like splurging, I go down to the Buy MT store and pick up a mix-and-match six pack of microbrews.
supporter
Grabbed a sixer of Guiness Black Lager at Empire Liquors. Drank one, jury's still out.

I've consumed all six and the jury is still out.
supporter

I've consumed all six and the jury is still out.

Hmmm... well, it sounds like there's your answer.

This week, for me, Stonecutter Stout if I can get some time to go downtown.

http://www.raccoonbrew.co...brews.html
supporter
Currently am enjoying a Rogue Chocolate Stout, also procured at Empire.

See now I'm jealous. I can't even find that stuff in Billings anymore.
supporter
Levi:

It was $5.99 for a 22 oz bottle.

It was SO WORTH IT!