trade a hen for a rooster?
Posted by Kmama (+99) 10 years ago
So one of the "sexed pullets" i ordered online is now crowing. Seeing as how this breaks the city's no roosters ordinance, is there by chance anyone with layers who would be willing to trade a layer for a very tame black rooster?
Posted by Stan Wheeler (+1190) 10 years ago
Let me check with my sister. We are going to pick ours up Thursday. If it's ok, we can bring yours down and make the switch. Is there any type of chicken you want? She has Buff Orpingtons, and Andalusians for sure. If anyone else wants some hens, hers are old enough (6-8 weeks) that she can tell hens from roosters. Hers are all raised organic, and pastured. Let me know if anyone wants any.

I'll let you know as soon as I talk to her if she can make a switch.

Liz Wheeler
400 S. Custer
234-7059
i'm really not too picky at this point, i do prefer brown egg layers to white egg layers though. As long as it's not an old girl or an egg-eater! I'm pretty sure Black Jack is a black australorp and he is very tame and easy to handle. My kids would be very upset if he were eaten. Otherwise, I would have the perfect solution for getting rid of him! He's not very big yet though, and has just started to crow.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 10 years ago
In Black Jack's defense...you DID give him a boy's name..just sayin'
Actually the five year old named him. All the chix got very masculine names like Tiger, Viper, and Creature. That's what I get for having 3 boys!
Just talked to my sister, and she says she can't take him. Hope you find somebody.

Liz Wheeler
Posted by korky II (+614) 10 years ago
I'll take him, but I dont have any hens to trade.
Well if I can't find someone willing to trade a hen I will definitely contact you!
Stan, if I gave Black Jack too korky would your sister be willing to sell a hen?
Yes. Just let me know what kind you want. We are going up Thursday morning to get a load. They are $10 each.

Liz Wheeler
234-7059
Remind me what kind of hens she has again? My phone is shut off but i definately want one. Also, korky II, please contact me so i can deliver your rooster
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 10 years ago
What fun it would have been to have Leota call Fred on party-line and discuss the chicken ordinance.
Richard, I'm a little lost.......care to clarify? I did hit my head awfully hard this morning ....
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 10 years ago
Sorry about that... it's sort of an inside story. If you had lived in 35-40 years ago you would understand. Please ignore my muddled meandering...
She has Buff Orpingtons and Blue Andalusians available. Just let me know which one you want. We anticipate leaving tomorrow around 8am, and should be back in town around 5.
We are leaving in a couple of hours, and I need to know what kind of hen you are interested in. I'll keep checking in here, or you could send me an email.

Liz
I'll still take your rooster, but not for $10. Maybe $2
Korky II you can have him for free, Stan, I had my phone shut off and did not check back but if you go up again I would like a blue andulasian. I'm sure I spelled that wrong........
I'll let you know if we make the trip anytime soon.
Sounds good. Shoot me an email
When can I get the rooster?
Korky, sorry but a friend came and got him last night. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing. He's going off to be a breeder.
Your word is no good.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 10 years ago
OMG Korky how rude of you...she was giving you this thing for free...GEEZZZZZZZZZ
Korky I don't know who you are but since my good friend has taken him my children and I will be able to visit him and this was the best option also I needed to get rid of him ASAP to save my neighbors some morning nuisance! It was nothing personal.