R.I.P. William Allen Winkley Sr.
Posted by montanaman (+297) 10 years ago
May 13, 1930 - July 24, 2011

William A. Winkley Sr, age 81, of Miles City passed away on Sunday, July 24, 2011 at the Holy Rosary Health Center in Miles City.

William A. Winkley Sr. was born May 13, 1930 at Darcy Hospital, in Miles City, MT, the son of William F. Winkley and Cecilia G. (Shumsky) Winkley. The family lived in Carter County on the family ranch nine miles east of Powderville where he grew up with several Winkley cousins. Bill attended 6 years of school in Powderville, then 2 years at the Winkley school, and then high school in Ekalaka.

Bill bought the hotel and cafe in Plevna, MT in 1949 which his folks operated after November of 1950 in which he enlisted in the United States Air Force stationed in Greensville South Carolina
as a supply sergant. He was honorably discharged in 1954 at the rank of Staff Sgt. In 1952 he was married to Emily Rodgers, in Spartanburg, South Carolina. They returned to Miles City, MT in 1954. To this marriage 3 children were born. William Allen Winkley Jr., Terry Winkley, and Melinnee (Cindy) Mastel (Marvin). Also two step children Michael West and Kenny Salmi. Bill worked at various jobs railroading, driving bus for Grey Hound, the old refinery wrecking yard north of town, L.P. Anderson, co-owner Baker Cement, and worked for Miles City Sand and Gravel, Rask Electric, Miles City Ready Mix, Mid-West Motor Express, Behlen Buildings. Bill
also owned W.A. Winkley Construction doing highway concrete work on the interstate. After Bill retired he continued working fixing appliances and other household items.

On August 26, 1972 Bill and Linda (Sotka) were married in Watertown, SD. To this union 2 children were born; Mark Winkley (Jennifer) and Kari Winkley (Jarred Pitcher). Bill also had three step children Laura (Sotka) Wetherelt (Allen); Roni Sue (Sotka) Adams (Bob) and Scott Sotka. In 1979 Bill and Linda owned and operated the 10 Spot Café until 1986. Bill was a very handy man. He could make something out of nothing and fix anything, drive or operate any machinery.

Bill is survived by his wife Linda, son Allen Winkley Jr., Miles City; daughter-in-law Cindy (Brown) Winkley of Helena; daughter, Cindy Mastel (Marvin) of Rapid City, SD; step daughter Laura Wetherelt (Allen) of Forsyth, MT; step daughter Roni Sue Adams (Bob) Eau Claire, WI; step son Scott Sotka of San Jose CA, son Mark (Jennifer) Winkley of Miles City, MT and daughter Kari Winkley (Jarred Pitcher) of Kalispell, MT. 21 grandchildren, a new one expected in November making a total of 22; 13 great grandchildren; and 3 great great grandchild. Bill was preceded in death by his parents, William and Cecilia Winkley and his son Terry Winkley.

Visitation will be held Thursday, July 28, 2011 at Stevenson & Sons Funeral Home in Miles City with family receiving friends from 4:00pm to 6:00 pm. Graveside services will be held on Friday, July 29, 2011 at 10:30 am at the Eastern Montana State Veteran's Cemetery with full military honors provided by the VFW Post #1579. Family and friends will meet at Stevenson & Sons Funeral Home at 10:00 a.m. to proceed to the cemetery together. There will be a gathering at the VFW following the services. Stevenson & Sons Funeral Home of Miles City is in charge of the arrangements.
Posted by whats up (+281) 10 years ago
Bill was always a true gentleman and will be missed. My sympathy to the family!
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+518) 10 years ago
Mark, it breaks my heart I will not be in Montana for your Dad's service. I am in Cali this week for chemo. Just know I loved him and he will be greatly missed. You and your Mom and the rest of your family are in my prayers. R.I.P. Mr. Bill ,
(EDIT)with love, Julie Mahler

[This message has been edited by julieinmc (7/27/2011)]
Posted by Kari (+111) 10 years ago
My dad was a great and well known man here in Miles City and I know he will be greatly missed by many! Love you Dad.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-339) 10 years ago
He was indeed a good old boy and a friend of many , rest in peace Bill.