The Yellowstone Journal
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 20 years ago
I posted a portion of the Monday February 27, 1899 edition of "The Yellowstone Journal". You'll find it in the History area. I'll add more as I find the time.

Regards, Larry
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 20 years ago
I get to read the Yellowstone Journal regularly because I do the Stardust column for the Star. The library has most of them on microfilm. I LOVE reading them!!! The Victorian language was pretty blunt sometimes. The Preservation Office also has the entire 1901 as a bound edition. Great reading.
--Amorette
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 19 years ago
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Good stuff.

Are you familiar with Topping's work on eastern Montana? It was first published circa 1883 and was printed in 1968. Topping was (apparently) an editor / publisher of the YELLOWSTONE JOURNAL -- the book is largely comprised of article written for the paper.
--Hal

Topping, ES (Eugene Sayre) (1844-1917). THE CHRONICLES OF THE YELLOWSTONE. AN ACCURATE, COMPREHENSIVE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY DRAINED BY THE YELLOWSTONE RIVER, ITS INDIAN INHABITANTS, ITS FIRST EXPLORERS, THE EARLY FUR TRADERS AND TRAPPERS, THE COMING AND TRIALS OF THE EMIGRANTS . . . (Pioneer Press Co., 1883).
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 19 years ago
Two different Yellowstone Journals. The Yellowstone Journal I'm talking about was the local newspaper in Miles City, on and off, for many years, until just before WWI. The other Yellowstone Journal is a book about the river and the area around it.
--Amorette
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 19 years ago
beg to differ--have the book on my shelf, the chapters in it consist largely of articles that were printed in the Old Miles paper.
--Hal