Post Office
Posted by Leanne Stewart (+199) 10 years ago
Does anyone know why the Post Office has not moved back to their location? I have heard rumors, but curious if anyone knows for sure.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2735) 10 years ago
I doubt it ever will.
Posted by RS/SS (+38) 10 years ago
I'll bet if it was a private facility it would have been up and running long ago. Just recently I saw where they were moving some of the sorting to Billings for efficiency due to the drop in mail volumn. That would seem to negate any need for a larger newer facility here. It irks me to pay for a box that I can only access during regular working hours. I may as well drop the box and change my address to General Delivery.
Posted by Leann (+178) 10 years ago
It probably wouldn't be for two years. As I heard they had to sign a two year rent contract with Steadmans for the space they are currently opperating from.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 10 years ago
I was told that you cannot use General Delivery any longer...Don't know if it is true though...
If it is true that they had to sign a rental contract, that is really sad, because some have said that the two businesses in the area on seventh are closing due to traffic (customers) flow from the post office relocation. I am sure the other businesses in the area have noticed a slow down of customers also. If the building is ready to move back into then they should move back. You would think that the rental contract could be negotiated. It is really sad to see it empty. There are way too many empty buildings in town!! And to see a federal building empty, is just not right!!
supporter
Posted by blake beeler (+185) 10 years ago
its great .post office is broke .but it can pay for rent and still have to up keep on the old building...and then spend 176.000. to up date the new place .what a fraud the postal system is..there say they are saving 95.000 . bull..
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Doesn't the Post Office own the old building? Why would they be paying rent?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 10 years ago
I think the reference is to paying rent to Steadman's. I very much doubt they signed a two year lease but even if they did, I'm sure Steadman's would let them out of it.

The problem is higher up. Postal officials have wanted to get rid of that historic building for years and now they have a chance. They have all but abandoned it. In March, they claimed they would test the air again in June to make decisions. In June. . .
So how do you get a hold of the "higher up" people?
Posted by A S Miles (+85) 10 years ago
So, how do we get the post office to give the old building to The Barn Players??? I think it would make a fantastic theatre.
Posted by abbeyb (+37) 10 years ago
I spoke to Jim on Tuesday and he said they would never be returning to the old building, would not be staying where they are, but don't know where they will end up.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17433) 10 years ago
Yes, because it makes so much sense to abandon that building and build a different one.

If it makes you feel any better, Miles City, the USPS has apparently sold the main, downtown Redmond (WA) post office. At one time I saw a notice posted that they were relocating to an address that was, if I recall correctly, formerly a Washington State Liquor Store. A much smaller, "strip mall" like location. It was definitely a downgrade.

The move hasn't happened yet, though, and according to this article it should have happened by now, so maybe it has hit snags. I'm 90% certain the current post office building/land has already been sold so they will need to do something.

Redmond Reporter: Redmond post office to move to new downtown location within eight months
Posted by Michelene (+86) 10 years ago
I overheard the postmaster talking about a week ago when I was in... He said they will probably never go back to that building and also joked that he would take a match downstairs to search and make sure it's clear... Haha
Posted by Michelene (+86) 10 years ago
Also, we get general delivery at our place...
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 10 years ago
http://www.milescitystar....php#story2

So, officially, they plan to move back. When it happens is still up in the air.
Posted by ocne (+471) 10 years ago
This is kind of off-topic, but does anyone know how to get ahold of the Post Office??? I called the number in the phone book (232-2856); it rings and rings and rings. So I tried multiple times and finally someone answered and told me that was the "old post office" and to call this different number for the "new" one (232-1224). I have attempted to call the "new" post office several times now and it rings about 6-8 times and then sounds like a fax machine.

I'm on the other end of town and not heading that direction again today. Would like to get ahold of them before I drive back out there. Anybody have any other numbers or contacts?

-thanks
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17433) 10 years ago
You could try calling the USPS national customer service line:

800-275-8777
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 10 years ago
Amorette: Do you know of an old post office building, East of Miles City? It is listed in the paper as for sale, but doesn't give a specific location.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 10 years ago
The phone number for the Miles City temporary Post Office is 232-1224. I have used it, but they may have the ringer off or something.

[This message has been edited by Steve Allison (7/26/2011)]
Posted by zzzzzzzzz (+34) 10 years ago
they need to clean up around the old building