Skip the steak house and eat at home
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 9 years ago
I will never go to another steak house, not after tonight's dinner! Dry-aged porterhouse with a pepper rub cooked to perfection at medium rare and the vegetables! The local steakhouses seem to feel the veg is just there to fill up the plate but tonight I had butter braised asparagus in lemon pepper and it was to DIE for!

Marry a man who cooks, ladies. And volunteer to do his dishes.

supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16662) 9 years ago
HA!

I just got off the Smith River float....four days, 58 miles, 3 nights of camping....11 men (ages 28 to 68), and 2 thirteen year old boys.

Saturday night, our last night of camping, we ate porterhouse steaks grilled over an open fire....nothing on the steaks but Montreal seasoning.....you had to watch your own steak, poking it with your pinky and flipping it as you you see fit....then flop it on your plate, along with ceasar salad and cheesy potatoes.

That Saturday night steak was so good, I thought I died and went to heaven.
Posted by Steve Allison (+974) 9 years ago
A point of clarification, it was lemon juice and black pepper, not the spice lemon pepper.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 9 years ago
Reading this almost makes me willing to eat my vegetables!
Posted by Dave Golterman (+236) 9 years ago
I had Meatloaf meatloaf tonight, but it was made extra special with a mixture of zucchini, onions and mushrooms all sliced up and sautéed in butter with a little salt & pepper!

[This message has been edited by Dave Golterman (7/19/2011)]

[This message has been edited by Dave Golterman (7/19/2011)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 9 years ago
Dry aged? How did you manage that?
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+439) 9 years ago
I came home for lunch one day and could see that shortly before I got there, my lovely bride had just removed a blueberry pie from the oven and there was also a fresh bucket of Schwans Vanilla ice cream in the freezer. By the time the pie was served for dessert the temperature was perfect and with that scoop of ice cream - WOW. The first words out of my mouth - "You should win awards for making pie like this."

I'm not sure what her secret is, but if it comes out of the oven in a pie crust at this house - it's to die for.
Posted by RA (+653) 9 years ago
I came home from the hay fields, my wife had slow cooked an Eastern Montana Beef pot roast....Alpine Seasoning, salt, pepper, a bit of garlic, and a few fresh garden onions. PERFECTION!! Baked potato, and fresh cantelope finished out my plate. Later, Wilcoxson's chocolate ice cream.
Posted by Steve Allison (+974) 9 years ago
The frost free refrigerator takes moisture out of the air to prevent the frost. So I unwrap the meat, put it on a cooling rack over a 1/4 sheet pan and put it in the refrigerator for a day or so. Sometime I put spices on it first, sometimes not. That takes some of the water out of the surface of the meat sealing the goodness inside when it is cooked.

[This message has been edited by Steve Allison (7/20/2011)]
Posted by Gail (+40) 9 years ago
Reading this post is making me salivate.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16662) 9 years ago
I am going home to grill muley buck loin steaks, slathered in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

That should make you stop salivating.
Posted by Gail (+40) 9 years ago
My favorite, muley buck- now for the brownies for dessert. Still salivating Gunnar.
Be in MC in a week-looking forward to seeing family and friends. Family reunion and Dad's 90th birthday.
Posted by Chris Sirchia (+631) 9 years ago
I once bought a whole boneless ribeye. I unwrapped it from the vaccum packing and put it on a roasting rack in the fridge for 30 days. I cut steaks about 1 1/2" thick and grilled & broiled them. Absolutely freegin fantastic!!!!!