New Social Share Buttons
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10000) 10 years ago
I added Google "+1", Twitter "Tweet", Facebook "Like" and AddThis "Share" buttons to the top of discussion forum topics. Giving them a whirl. Not sure if I'll keep them or not.

Everything appears to be working properly in Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.6, Google Chrome 12, Opera 11.5 and Safari 5.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 10 years ago
Facebook seems to work in Safari 5.5, too.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 10 years ago
I'm not a fan of the background color, or placement.

I think they would look best at the bottom of the thread, in the same color as the normal box... and centered.
admin
founder
Yeah, but if I did that then I might have to make the rest of the site look better.
admin
founder
Okay, looking for more feedback on the buttons. Let me know if you think they should stay, go or if I should change them in some way.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 10 years ago
Can we get a "dislike" button for Richard's jokes?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
IMO, what is said in should stay in MC. Not sure I want my comments tweeted or linked on facebook.
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+406) 10 years ago
Richard - If you google your own name you'll find that most of your posts pop up to everybody and their brother anyway . . . so it's not like Las Vegas.
admin
founder
Think about Lemmy man. He still needs a truck.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+246) 10 years ago
Maybe we can get lemmy to export your jokes and comments to Nigeria instead!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 10 years ago
If you google your own name you'll find that most of your posts pop up to everybody and their brother anyway . . . so it's not like Las Vegas.

Yup, it is not like Las Vegas, but they'd have to think to google my name to see what I have posted. The new buttons put it out their and I have little control on where it goes. I may give up posting here if that is the way its going to be. Then you all will be stuck with Russell's jokes.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 10 years ago
Personally, I won't use them. I honestly like the 'remoteness' of this site, sort of like MC in real life. Nice break from the 'reality' of the rest of the internet.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 10 years ago
Not fond of them. This is a fairly small place to post in comparison to the rest of the internet sites. I like it that way. Important things can always be posted to other sites if need be.
supporter
Posted by Art (+204) 10 years ago
I'm with M T Zook. Can't see that I would use them.
Posted by brittany_95 (+338) 10 years ago
Seems the site slowed down since you added them
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 10 years ago
The site is rockin away as usual for me. Although, I'm glad you added the +1 button. That is the one I'll use.
admin
founder
Kacey wrote:
Important things can always be posted to other sites if need be.

Heresy I tell ya! Everyone already knows that only the important things are posted here!
admin
founder
To make it clear, I want to reiterate that the MilesCity.com server does NOT share any private information with any third-party sites. It never has and it never will.

If anything is ever publicly shared, it is done by your fingertips and is between you, your browser, whatever site you belong to, and the rest of the world. MilesCity.com takes no role, other than to provide options. The buttons are essentially just links or shortcuts to those sites. Like this:

http://twitter.com/share?...ew/204408/

Or this:

Click to Tweet

Or this:

Click Here to Share on Google Buzz

In any case, I'll leave the links up for a week or so to see if anyone finds them useful. If they aren't, I'll toss them.